cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beautiful wasp/bug scatter pins, any thoughts on maker ?

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a good weekend.
I have these beautiful scatter pins, they look like wasps to me, they measure 1+3/8" in length.
Molded art glass heads and they are very well made and so pretty !
No marks, there are some slight imperfections on the finish on the backs but I looked closely, no marks.
I've checked Coro patents but nothing, I was wondering if anyone here has seen them before or recognizes them.
Thanks for any help.

bugs1.jpg

bugs2.jpg

bugs3.jpg
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They look like they're holding ladybugs Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ha, they do ! Maybe they're eating dinner. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

They do look like a bug eating another bug, but that seems like a strange thing to make into jewelry. I wonder if there was a huge outbreak of a certain type of bug, then another bug was the solution?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What beautiful pins.  I have not seen these before.  They are unusual enough that I'm pretty sure I would have remembered them.  They look like quality pieces.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Baubles, that is an odd subject to use, still not sure what they depict, if anything.

Sandy, that's what I thought, I was hoping someone would recognize them because they are so unusual.

Thanks for help !

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

In a way this looks a bit like the Egyptian Revival images with the scarab /beetle with the ball. Maybe it was made during the time when these etched beetle cabs were used in all types of jewelry?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Interesting thought Crow, I'll look into that theme.

The construction, rhodium plate finish and pin mechanism make me think these are from the 50's. What's somewhat odd though is that the prongs were shaved down to be flush with the stones, never really saw that before.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

pretty, and very bizarre! (I like that combination Smiley Wink)

Makes me think of Bogoff. Why? Well, this is kind of a hijack, but the reason it reminds me of Bogoff is because of a funny listing I saw here once, where the seller included the designer name as "Bugoff"!  Those Bogoff siggies are pretty hard to read (kind of like Coro, buried in plating sometimes). Also makes me think of Bogoff because I have a pair of Bogoff scatter pins that belonged to my grandmother - Bees, with red and green rhinestones (I call them my Christmas Bees)

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

These look like Flys with the two big eyes at the front of them....

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

They are very well made quality and unique I would guess around 40's or 50's, that color was common around that time as well as the rhodium plat. Very nice!!!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply