cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bead ID Help TYIA

I am looking an help on identifying these beads.RtnDownloadFile.pngRtnDownloadFile (2).pngRtnDownloadFile (1).png

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Bead ID Help TYIA

They look like some form of agate to me.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Kinda look like angle skin coral to me?

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Agree with the coral now that I am double checking

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Thank you very much! I sold these as angel coral beads. I had taken this necklace to a gemologist and was told they were angel coral and listed them as such. They sold.  The buyer sent me these pictures to say they were not angel coral. She filed a SNAD. I have accepted the return but wanted to make sure I had not been mislead on what they were.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Do you think it is possible the Buyer believes that the beads are shell rather than coral? The images obviously, to them, show something that excludes angelskin coral, not sure what that is though.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

She just said they were cracked and had areas that she thought were too translucent. I can only guess that she has been shown reconstituted coral beads and thinks that is the real deal.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

I think this video is amazing about how they handle the coral in Italy and at 1:47 on the video there are beads that resemble hers, beautiful pieces not just jewelry and the colors. Just thought I would share 🙂

That "shrimp has a lot of translucency" and I think the polishing has a lot to do with that also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhCgE2iRje8

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Thanks so much for the video link! Beautiful items!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

These aren't coral; they're conch shell. Or they sure look like it. Angel skin coral is white with some pink/peach in it.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

I agree with evelyb30, the color is just too dark for Angel skin coral Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Does coral come in a darker pink color. I looked up conch shell beads and they appear pale also.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

I don't know if this will help, but there's an extensive discussion here of differences between angel skin coral and conch shell (it's in reference to cameos, but the material discussion can stand alone):

http://cameotimes.com/index.php/reference/materials-guide?showall=&start=1

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Bead ID Help TYIA

Thanks again for the links. I can't tell from her pictures if the color goes to the yellow or the blue. The lighting in the photos is different in each one. The necklace has not been returned yet but when it does arrive I will check it in sunlight. Great article! I am getting a great education. I can now see how it can be confusing.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply