cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody know how old this brooch might be?

This thing is drop dead gorgeous and in superb condition. But I'm stumped as to the age it might be. The primitive pin says old, but the riveted construction, I don't know. It's heavy, it's pretty clean - just a couple of small discolored spots, and the stones are fab. I don't think the clasp ever had more than what's there - no sign of anything else having been attached, and the way the hinge is made looks old, it's just the sides of the bar folded up. What say you all?

blue trefoil 2.jpgblue trefoil 2.jpgblue trefoil 4.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

No ideas???? Smiley Surprised

I've been through all my books, including some of the new ones, and can't find anything about rivets. I saw on one site I can't find again that this type of construction pretty much went out in the 60s, but can't find when it started. Help!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

This piece is made from stamped metal.  My guess would be the late 50s early 60s with the two tones used and the way the stones in the silvertone are set.  I believe that the clasp of this piece originally had a rollover safety clasp.  The rivet construction that attaches the pin to the back of your brooch has been in use for a very long time.  I don't know for sure when, but I have found pieces from the 1910s to current times that used rivets to not only hold the clasp on but to layer pieces like yours.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply