cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

54 years later...

I was thrilled to recently win an auction from a seller here Cat Tongue for this fur clip...

Why? Because this is the very first piece of jewelry I ever bought...

It was 1960, I was 10 years old, and I went with my Mom to a second hand store. (They weren't called Thrift Stores then.) I spent half of my allowance (25 cents) on the bracelet.

Now, 54 years later, I found a sister piece to it!  Just wanted to share.

Nona

'Eep, 'eep...comin' through...
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

54 years later...

So you still have the first piece?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

thats awesome! THe little orange glass dog in my moniker pic is the first piece I ever bought. It was a Christmas present for my grandmother. SHe kept it then I got it after she passed away

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Yes, I stilll have the bracelet.  It's probably been the most worn piece that I have.  I would've taken a pic of them together, but my camera is on the blink.  I had a pic of the bracelet in an online archive, and the seller gave me permission to use their photo of the fur clip.

Nona

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Cleio- love the little dog!  Pieces like that hold a special place in our hearts, don't they?

Nona

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

cool! I love it when a plan comes together! (Or special pieces of jewelry find their soul mates).
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Nona & Cleio,

Those were sweet stories. I'm glad you have those nice memories. 

Nona, I wonder if there was a pendant.

My first paycheck was from a Tastee-Freeze. Everyone told me to buy something special

so that I would always remember the occasion. I bought a goldtone ring which had a pyramid on top

and a faux jade stone in the center. I had it for several years and have no idea what happened

to it. But I still have that memory and I'm happy with that.

TEX
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

That's so cool, Nona.  The story behind them really makes some pieces special. I've shown on here a pearl and sapphire bangle which was the first "grown-up" present I bought my mother.  Local jeweler let me make small payments from baby-sitting money until it was paid off.  Mom wore it often.  When she died, my aunt asked for it not knowing the story and we were happy for her to have it.  After my aunt passed it came back to me to treasure.  (Now if I only had those yellow plastic Coro earrings that cost 29 cents at Woolworth's when Daddy used to give us a dollar to shop with!)

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Woh! It's always a thrill to "fill an inside straight" by finding another piece to a set, but this really takes the prize. 54 years, halfway across the country, no daddy... It practically qualifies as a miracle!

And like Tex, I wonder if there are other pieces... Though my first thought was earrings.

flotsamlogo
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Congrats on the find.  It is always so fun to find matching pieces to our treasures.  There really is something special about that very first piece that you buy either for someone special or as a collector.  I have the first watch that I purchased for my mother, a Waltham snake watch.  I also have the first set of jewelry that I bought to start my collection.  Both pieces are very dear to me.  I remember looking for a necklace to fill in a set for almost 6 years before accidentally running into it here.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Great story! Congrats on the 'reunion'

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Great find and great story! It's nice reading everyone's happy memories about their purchases!

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

What a sweet story, thank you for sharing. heart

I caught the jewelry bug later in life but I remember buying my mom a large, very colorful rhinestone pin around 1968 or so. It was money I had been given from my grandmother and I remember seeing the pin in the dept. store and thought it was beautiful.

I have no idea what happened to it as it wasn't in my mom's jewelry when she passed and I don't remember her wearing it too long after that.

Looking back though, I'm pretty sure it was Juliana. I remember the easter egg stones. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Great stories!  Very heartwarming on a chilly, rainy day.  I remember my Dad taking me Christmas shopping for my Mom when I was about 6 or 7.  I bought her a pair of glitzy rhinestone earrings.  When she opened them she asked, "Ooooo, they're so pretty!  Are they real diamonds?"  My answer was, "They should be!  They cost 88 cents!"  And so began my love affair with costume jewelry Smiley Very Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

54 years later...

Warm Fuzzy feelings heart

Message 15 of 22
latest reply