cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$2.00 light box

Unlike Cleio, who has a beautiful outdoor Hawaiin backdrop with which to take pictures, I don't.  I also couldn't find a space indoors that didn't have a "busy" background for taking pictures.  My regular lightbox is great for taking pics of brooches, earrings and smaller items but it couldn't accommodate taller jewelry busts.  For $2.00 at the Dollar Store, I bought a white poster board and a white tri-fold student project board and set it up on a table.  Now I can take pictures of jewelry busts or spread out a large jewelry lot without worrying about what's in the background.  It also folds up and can be stored behind a desk or bookcase or anywhere there's a narrow slot.  Here's a couple pics of my inexpensive set-up.  I only stood back that far in the first pic to show how much space there is.  The second pic is closer up and the third pic is a close-close up:

2dollarlightbox1.jpg

2dollarlightbox2.jpg

massivebutterflynecklace1.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

$2.00 light box

Excellent !

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Thanks, Cali!  Just passing on something that solved a problem for me Smiley Happy.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Well how clever!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

thats an awesome idea.  CAn you pick different background colors if you want?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Great idea!   &  stunning necklace! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Thanks Vera, Cleio and Sarah!  Cleio, I don't think the tri-fold boards come in different colors but poster boards do.  If you wanted a different color background you could use a poster board standing up against the back of the tri-fold board.  I was thinking you could also drape some pretty fabric over it.  You can even pin things to it.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Great idea heart
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Brilliant, OCN.....Love those kind of tips!!!!!

I was looking at some poster board just this week and have used it in the past.

The smaller ones come in all colors and I've only seen the big ones (not tri fold but I believe big enough

and sturdy enough to fold yourself) in white and black.

I hope our dollar store carries the trifold....I've never seen those.

TEX
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

thanks for the suggestion - great pic and pretty necklace

Photobucket
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Thanks OCN, Tex and Sophie!  For something so inexpensive and easy to set up, I was pleasantly surprised.  Tex, now that school's back in session, it might be easier to find the tri-fold student project boards.  I also want to mention these are the thicker foam boards and not the cardboard type poster boards.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Huh. I didn't know trifolds came in foam as well - the cardboard ones don't work that well.

What I would do for different color backgrounds is make fabric "sweeps" (which will also give a smooth curve that eliminates the line where the stand and the trifold meet. Glue some stiff Velcro to the top of your trifold and attach the fuzzy side to lengths of fabric in the colors you want. Cotton velveteen, microfiber suede or velour knits work well. Avoid glossy finishes.

flotsamlogo
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Don't over look the vast varieties of papers used for scrap booking.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

$2.00 light box

Great ideas Blue and Sandy!  These boards are pretty sturdy and would support various backgrounds.  Using fabric to cover the seam where the boards meet would be a good solution.  Plus, they're so inexpensive you could create several different backgrounds with scrapbooking paper.  For a dollar, you could also do a large lot pinning necklaces and brooches to the board.  Keep the ideas coming!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply