eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Oversea use FAKE US address and claim item is shipped from the States

Oversea use FAKE US address and claim item is shipped from the States.  I have see more of these accounts lately and if this keep up, buyers cannot tell the different between US and Oversea seller while US sellers will go out of business.

This is how this process works.  Example

1) China seller uses a USA address as the shipper address

2) They get 1000+ items order per day due to their extreme low price but shipping price is a problem for them.

3) To solve this shipping problem, they ship all items to USA address with large DHL boxes, and those boxes get broken down at the USA address with pre-USA shipping label.  The person handle the packages at the US address just break it down and give them to the post man because shipping label is already on the small boxes.  This way, the items is being shipped from the USA.

How do I know this is happening?  I work for a large logistics company and I see this happening everyday in our warehouse.  If this keep up, US Sellers will go out of business in 5 years.

Anyone knows if Ebay is taking action toward this issue?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Oversea use FAKE US address and claim item is shipped from the States

in reply to jimmyscw

The only part that doesn't add up is they still have to pay DHL shipping on top of printing a USA shipping label, plus they have to pay their drop-shipper to put it all together and haul it. Wouldnt it be cheaper just to ship it from china direct to the customer? If it's only about lying to the customer and saying it comes from the states, that's easy to do as I've fallen victim to it once already.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Hi Dealsbyrsx, USA shipping label is already on the packages inside the DHL boxes so the only thing the USA company has to do is opened up the DHL boxes.  Shipping it directly from China to customer would cost $5-$10 depend on the weight but if they put all the package together in a large DHL box, 100 package in a large box can be as low as $100.  This reduce their shipping down to $1 per package to USA and another $2 from the USA to customer.  Plus, they trick customers like yourself and kill the ebay seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Actually, I don't see where there is anything illegal or in violation of eBay policies being done.    

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
recped
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Anyone knows if Ebay is taking action toward this issue?

Why would they? That's how I handle my shipments for the USA, they all go in bulk from Canada to Buffalo and then USPS from there as individual packages.

Now I don't claim to be a US seller but I suppose I could, I have  legit address in the USA and the goods are mailed from within the USA.

I doubt buyers care, they get what they want, they get it cheap and they get it fast.

In any event, all those LED's you are selling, why wouldn't buyers get them from a foreign seller who ships from the USA instead of a US seller doing the same thing except charging more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Please use plain text.
green-night
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Why would they? That's how I handle my shipments for the USA, they all go in bulk from Canada to Buffalo and then USPS from there as individual packages.

But I bet you indicate your item is located in Canada...I wonder if OP's beef is that the sellers are indicating their items are located in the US.  Just a wild guess.

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

As long as returns can go to the same US address, I really can't see those sellers are doing anything wrong or anything ebay could/would take action on.  It would be essentially the same as a seller from China who warehoused items in the US for distribution.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
ownedbybear
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

As long as returns can go to the same US address, I really can't see those sellers are doing anything wrong or anything ebay could/would take action on.  It would be essentially the same as a seller from China who warehoused items in the US for distribution.

Happens all the time with Amazon sellers, especally the US based ones. Item in the US, drop shipped to the UK, UK return address. Who cares.

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Isn't that what the eBay fulfillment centers will be doing pretty much? Maybe the china sellers can just ship the boxes already prepacked for shipment and all the FBE warehouse has to do is print out a label & slap it on there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

It seems like no one care until it happened to them.  The issue is that the seller posted that the item is from the USA which can take 2-5 days to arrive, but it is actually being shipped from China that takes 8-14 days.  This is acceptable to you?  If yes, what is the point of having the location of the seller? 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

It seems like no one care until it happened to them.  The issue is that the seller posted that the item is from the USA which can take 2-5 days to arrive, but it is actually being shipped from China that takes 8-14 days.  This is acceptable to you?  If yes, what is the point of having the location of the seller? 

The seller's location isn't nearly as important as the item location for those concerned about shipping times, is it?

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

If yes, what is the point of having the location of the seller? 

Who cares where the seller is located?  I have no way to know or need to know unless the seller tells me.

The only info on the listing is the item location.  If that is bogus, I seriously ding the shipping DSR and report the listing for a false item location.  If the item is sent to me from the correct location in a reasonable length of time then I'm OK with however that was done.

You are the only one who is talking about a bogus item location or greatly extended transit time.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
lvlr.lvlonicker
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

OP, what you call the 'seller's location' is in fact the location

where the seller first registered with eBay.

Say, you work for an Emabassy, Peace Corps, Red Cross, NGO...

in Tanzania and register with ebay with your genuine address there.

Then your location will always be shown as Tanzania, even when

you move to Belgium, Japan or USA afterwards and change your

address every time!  

Mr.Monicker

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Misrepresenting the item location is a violation of eBay policy. See http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Presently I'm waiting on the shipment of 2 items, from 2 sellers; both are A/V cables. One seller represents the item is in Arcadia, CA, the other in College Point, NY. Within hours of purchase (BIN) both sellers marked the items shipped and sent me USPS tracking / delivery confirmation information. I've been checking the status of the shipments now for several days, and both continue to say only "Electronic shipping information received".

The REASON I bought the cables from these sellers is precisely because they represented them as LOCATED in the US where I might reasonably expect delivery more quickly, than the same item coming from China.

It has happened to me before and in that case, I peeled back the USPS sticker to reveal a DHL label of foreign origin.

I haven't decided whether to simply ding the DSRs, file complaint with eBay for policy violation, or leave negative feedback. Any way it goes, I'm stuck waiting for items I've already paid for to show up at the post office, that should already be in shipment.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Misrepresenting the item location is a violation of eBay policy. See http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Presently I'm waiting on the shipment of 2 items, from 2 sellers; both are A/V cables. One seller represents the item is in Arcadia, CA, the other in College Point, NY. Within hours of purchase (BIN) both sellers marked the items shipped and sent me USPS tracking / delivery confirmation information. I've been checking the status of the shipments now for several days, and both continue to say only "Electronic shipping information received".

The REASON I bought the cables from these sellers is precisely because they represented them as LOCATED in the US where I might reasonably expect delivery more quickly, than the same item coming from China.

It has happened to me before and in that case, I peeled back the USPS sticker to reveal a DHL label of foreign origin.

I haven't decided whether to simply ding the DSRs, file complaint with eBay for policy violation, or leave negative feedback. Any way it goes, I'm stuck waiting for items I've already paid for to show up at the post office, that should already be in shipment.

Maybe I haven't quite woken up this morning, but I can't see how USPS tracking information can be provided for an item that is being shipped from another country.

Did the DHL label have your name and address on it too, Firsttim?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

Did the DHL label have your name and address on it too, Firsttim?

Not that I recall. The City/State matched the "from" address on the shipping label to me however.

The most obvious clue is when I bought the BIN item, the seller sent notice of USPS shipping label printed with tracking no immediately, but then it doesn't show up in the USPS tracking for another week. USPS simply shows it as "Electronic shipping information received". Then finally after a week, it shows up with an "origin" scan.

I suspect the OP is correct - the items are packaged in bulk at the real origin/location, drop shipped to the US based seller, who unboxes the bulk items and matches the pre-printed shipping labels with the envelopes out of the bulk box. I suspect the envelopes are marked with the eBay item number and the US seller simply matches up the label with the item number.

That I got one with a foreign shipping label beneath my USPS label was unusual, I guess.

This experience will learn me ;-) to buy cables and adapters from Amazon Prime if I want them fast. I should also have read the shipping conditions for the item(s) more closely ... the same item from Arcadia, CA, if bought today, quotes a received date between Mon. Jan. 28 and Fri. Feb. 8. When I bought the item, I saw that, but figured since it was in Arcadia and I'm in Chicago, it would be here by the weekend. But, it hasn't even been received by the post office yet.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

As a buyer who just got tricked by the fake US seller actually being in Hong Kong, I do care. Especially when the product is defective and the shipping cost to return it for a refund is more than I paid for the product delivered.

I paid $140.00 for an adroid based phone and it will cost $170.00 for me to send it back and get a refund. 

The company states they are based in California and the original shipment came from the address in California, now that it needs to be returned it cannot be sent back to the original shipping address but has to be shipped to Hong Kong.

I have just started purchasing items from Ebay and this is enough to make me stop and go back to buying locally.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

I have just started purchasing items from Ebay and this is enough to make me stop and go back to buying locally.

Um, you have feedback as a buyer dating back over three years.

Inexpensive electronics I would buy on eBay.  Pricey electronics I likely wouldn't, particularly from a seller with less than 99.5% positive feedback.  Full stop.

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

The company states they are based in California and the original shipment came from the address in California, now that it needs to be returned it cannot be sent back to the original shipping address but has to be shipped to Hong Kong

I'd take this up with Paypal (if it is a SNAD claim you are making), as my understanding is that the seller's registered PP address is where you need to send to, not some other destination.

You imply that the item was dispatched to you from California.

If it were the case that the return could be directed anywhere, any seller could frustrate SNAD claims by requesting items be sent to Somalia or Haiti or other unlikely destination where the item could simply disappear or be too expensive to be worth sending at all.

If you are simply trying to sort this out with the seller infomally, forget it. They are probably drop-shipping and then trying to avoid the consequences of this practice.

I don't know Californian law but generally the seller is responsible to the buyer for defective items, not the manufacturer. If they are a business they may be liable to you under Californian consumer law.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jimmyscw

To me 3 years would be considered recently, and 6 or 7 purchases over the last 21/2 years with the majority of my purchases in the last 6 months, I stand by my words. Since this is an issue to you and totally irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I stated in an email to the seller that they represented themselves as a California based company, the packaged was shipped from a California address, and that I should be able to send it back to the same address. And that if they did not agree with this then I will turn the matter over to Ebay and let them decide.

Please use plain text.