cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rainbow Roses- Seeds for Sale?

mzwahash
Enthusiast

Has anyone had success with growing rainbow roses from seeds you purchased from eBay Sellers?

Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

No, but then again I have never purchased rainbow rose seeds from eBay Sellers.

Message 2 of 99
latest reply

If you are expecting to the roses to grow and bloom with multicolored petals, they won't.  Its an artificial process used on cut flowers. 

Here is one video on how to do it,

http://www.designboom.com/art/rainbow-roses/

This can also be done on several other plants as well that have the same stem system as the rose.

I have bought several seeds, plants ect... off ebay with great results.   Rose cuttings are easier to start with than seeds, IMO.

"Dave's Garden, Plantfiles" is an excellent resource.

Message 3 of 99
latest reply

mzwahash
Enthusiast

Right, so then your answer should be no. Correct?

I know you can artificially generate rainbow coloured roses. I've done that before

The point im making is that i am asking these ebay sellers if you can grow rainbow coloured roses from seeds, to end up looking just like in their photos, and they have advised "Yes" because they are "Special Chinese Roses".

They do not advise of an artificial process and they do not have any instructions in their details.

This is why i would like to hear some feedback on this, because i have never known to be able to literally grow them from seeds.

You can imagine my frustration that there are no disclaimers to their customers if indeed it is an artificial process.

Message 4 of 99
latest reply

Rainbow Roses cannot be grown naturally.  Those "sellers" are not being truthful with you.

Those "special seeds" are also being sold on Amazon as well.  Some sellers there do have disclaimers in their listings.  Check out some of the reviews and responses/comments.  It gets pretty heated.  One reviewer Heading is "Flying Pig Rose":^O

Some experts have even responding as saying this is a scam.

Same thing with the "Applause Blue Rose" (there is a thread about that too "Home & Garden").

The most you will get with that is a lavender color (straight from Suntory its developer).

Message 5 of 99
latest reply

gildeddaylily
Enthusiast

and they have advised "Yes" because they are "Special Chinese Roses".

http://www.rainbowrosecompany.com/about-rainbow-roses/

Rainbow roses are only available as a cut flower, and cannot be purchased as a rose bush or as seeds. Beware of fraudulent advertisements on E-Bay and Amazon offering Rainbow Rose Seeds or Rainbow Rose Bushes they are fraud and not possible since the only way to achieve rainbow roses is by a patented coloring process that is administered to a white rose only after the rose has grown and cannot be achieved in bush or seed form. Rainbow Rose Seeds and Rainbow Rose Bushes are a SCAM and you will just waste your money.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/rainbowroses.asp

http://opaldragondreamer.blogspot.com/2012/10/scammers-suck-continuing-saga-of-fake.html

http://www.amazon.com/Rains-Rainbow-Rose-Seeds-Flower/product-reviews/B007G2MU7Q

http://gardeningwithstephanie.com/2012/05/15/watch-out-for-scams-for-roses-and-rose-seeds/

Message 6 of 99
latest reply

Oh they're from China!!!

Why you didn't say that, this thread would have been finished so fast.

You can feel free to disregard any such claims.

Message 7 of 99
latest reply

mzwahash
Enthusiast

They should be reported, but then i think to myself...

Message 8 of 99
latest reply

the   seeds are a  fraud.  There is no such thing as a natural Rainbo rose.  they are dyed to those colors.  DO not buy these seeds

@mzwahash wrote:

Message 9 of 99
latest reply

@mzwahash wrote:

I know you can artificially generate rainbow coloured roses. I've done that before

The point im making is that i am asking these ebay sellers if you can grow rainbow coloured roses from seeds, to end up looking just like in their photos, and they have advised "Yes" because they are "Special Chinese Roses".

They do not advise of an artificial process and they do not have any instructions in their details.

This is why i would like to hear some feedback on this, because i have never known to be able to literally grow them from seeds.

You can imagine my frustration that there are no disclaimers to their customers if indeed it is an artificial process.

@mzwahash wrote:

OMG, I can't believe anyone would fall for this. Haven't you ever as a kid put a daisy or carnation in food coloring? Same proses only you split the stem and put differant parts in differant color water. As the flower takes up the water it stains the flower.

Message 10 of 99
latest reply

Hey you can't grow rainbow roses you have to make them. You need white rose seeds and as the seeds grow you inject colouring in the the stem as it's growing. That's how I do it anyway. Hope this helps x
Message 11 of 99
latest reply

From what ive heard the rainbow rose is a pure white hybrid rose, that absorbs color perfectly, therefor making it perfect for coloring of rainbow roses, And there from the name.
I know some sellers claim the roses grow up with colors, but i really doubt it...
Message 12 of 99
latest reply

Works fine with any white rose, I'd say. When I heard of them and saw how it was done I just bought some cheep cut roses from Walmart. Told my MIL about it and we tried it with a rose cut from her Peace Rose bush with not much differance than the blues turned a bit aqua.

Message 13 of 99
latest reply

@angelmorganvalentine wrote:
Hey you can't grow rainbow roses you have to make them. You need white rose seeds and as the seeds grow you inject colouring in the the stem as it's growing. That's how I do it anyway. Hope this helps x

Not injected while growing but the stem split after cutting and portions placed in differant colors. The plant still draws up the water staining the flower.

Message 14 of 99
latest reply

http://www.rainbowrosecompany.com/about-rainbow-roses/

This is where they were "invented". They are dyed so you cannot grow rainbow roses!

Message 15 of 99
latest reply