eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Sewing machine not picking up bobbin thread

I was directed by another poster to seek help with my sewing machine problem here.

I have a fairly new Singer (Model 2638). I used it several times last week and didn't have any problems. But Sunday evening after I wind the bobbin and placed it back in the machine the top thread wouldn't pull the bobbin thread up through the opening at all.

I took off the bobbin plate & removed the area the bobbin sets in to clean out the lint - which wasn't very much. Put the machine back together and still the top thread wouldn't pick up the bobbin.

I looked at the instruction manual, but mostly it just troubleshooted issues with it not being threaded correctly. Is there some way to get the bobbin to catch? All the parts are moving and seem like they should be working fine, except it just won't catch.

I have checked several times and I do have it threaded corrected. The tension is the same as what I had prior when it was working fine.

I thought maybe it was because after I wind the bobbin I left the bobbin thread guide up and started to sew. But I've done that before and never had this problem.

I've tried different material and changed the needle & bobbin, but still the machine won't pick up the bobbin thread to even begin sewing anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
oreobbenb
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
I know from experience that if you are using the wrong thread with the wrong type of fabric you can have that problem. So I try to use cotton thread with cotton fabrics and polyester with synthetic fabrics.

Hopefully, some others will be by with some more suggestions.
Oreo
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
You could have your bobbing wound backwards too.

I have done that in the past. Took me forever to figure out what I did wrong, and I felt silly once I did figure it!!

Cheers
CHey

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Big Daddy Said Charge It
~CHEERS
~Chey

The key to success is not having a Plan B
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
I'm having the same problem and need to finish Halloween costumes in 3 days! If you find out the problem, please post it here! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Please use plain text.
asailboat4me
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
Hi Griff.....there could be several reasons. Both your tensions could be off, either on the bobbin or thread feed or it could be on both. Wrong thread, or wrong size needle for the material and thread working with.
Please use plain text.
asailboat4me
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mwscgriffon
I too had the same problem and ended up pulling apart my machine- -- after a few hours realized that this problem started after I rethreaded the bobbin.

So I looked closer at the bobbin only to realized that on my machines bobbin the top had 2 small holes- one which to put the end in before adding the new thread- well i wound it upside so that the incorrect top had only one hole- referred to my manual and it clearly stated the right side up would have 2 holes-
now you cant simply flip it over because then the thread would be wound the wrong way- so you have to take all the thread off- start over and make sure you have the right side of the bobbin up when you rethread- hope that helps
rosemary 4
Please use plain text.