cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

I used to be an avid crocheter, sewer and smocker.  If I sat down for two minutes, I was working on something creative.  Now, fast forward 30 years.  I have grandbabies, full time job and no time to do anything else.  I have tons of smocking and sewing and crocheting stuff just sitting here.  Boxes and boxes of heirloom fabric. I could probably open a craft store and have full inventory lol. I miss it so much, but there are not enough hours in the day for me to even begin a project.  Which leads me to this...is it just me or is this the way the trend is going now?  I have thought about selling most of my stuff as my daughters are not interested at all in it.  However, when I search ebay for completed listings, it seems that this type of stuff  doesnt even have much of a market 😞  What little I have listed didn't even sell.  Is this a dying art?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

I, too, have found that carrying some small piece of hand work to do while in a waiting room will attract more than one pleasant inquiry and can lead to an interesting conversation.

I make doll clothes and I often carry a bag with my latest project and its buttons or its trims to work on while waiting. It is more rewarding than the available reading material which is often Outdoor Life or Motor Trend.

People begin to reminisce about their mom or their grandma and about the dresses or shirts made for them.  People will talk about the prom dress or the Barbie clothes.  Call me crazy, but I find this to be a very wonderful and small part of an enjoyable everyday life.  A good friend of my daughter's knits those pretty ruffly scarves and sometimes winds up giving an impromptu lesson in the waiting room! 

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Most of the time, I get positive reactions to knitting/crocheting in public but...

I took my mom in for an x-ray a couple of weeks ago and I was knitting a little ID holder for my daughter while waiting. This man starts up a conversation with me about it, he was sweet as he could be. He turns to his wife and asks "Honey, didn't your mom knit?" She replies, very nastily, "Yes, but I would never use something HOMEMADE, it's tacky!" The guy was seriously embarrassed by his wife. I just laughed and told him that homemade just means it has love in it. After my mom was done, the woman was passing us on the way out and she complimented my bracelet. I told her, with an eat dirt smile, "Thanks, I made it myself." The look on her face was classic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 17 of 41
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

Life is more complicated than it used to be.

In the past you could address a letter to John Doe, Local and it would get to John Doe in your town.

Now it needs a house number, a street address, a city, a state, a zip+4.

Pretty much everything else has gone the same way.

I have to remember more than 300 passwords. How many passwords did people have to remember in the 1950s and 1960s? Maybe one for a school or gym locker?

How many computer programs do you need to know, how many Internet utilities? None of that was necessary prior to the late 1970s.

I have to sell to people all over the world in all time zones. That's 24/7.

I have no time for crafting any more, unless it's for resale. I wish I did.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

I do not think it is a dying art.  My friend crochets all the time and she is teaching a teen neighbor to crochet, as well as her granddaughter.  I do  not crochet much anymmore due to fibromyalgia, but I will teach my daughter-in-law to crochet since she asked.  I purchased sewing machines for all my daughters-in-law and taught 3 of them to sew.  I recently sold a sewing machine to a young man who is making costumes for the civil war era.

I have taught sewing to my grandsons, granddaughters and some friends in the past 4 years.  Since sewing is no longer offered in schools, I get requests to teach others to sew.  I also teach them to get to know their sewing machine.  I have given instructions on sewing machine problems over the phone.   Due to the recession a lot of people want to know how to sew if for no other reason then to mend clothing.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the prime time to make afghans. mittens, scarves, hats, gloves.

Teenagers are crazy about the fingerless gloves and there are tons of

patterns for them on the internet.

You may find machine made knits, but it's not the same with crochet--

it is always hand made, so when you are given a crochet gift you can

appreciate that someone put some time into it.

As far as people saying they don't have enough time, I believe they mean

they don't want to spend their time crocheting. Because it looks to me like

people have plenty of time to watch utube, text, email, blog, and little of

that is productive with most folks, so  sorry, to me that is wasted time.

I used to put in about 60 hrs. a week at a textile mill and managed to

crochet on my break time and when the machine was waiting on supplies.

I even got my co-worker started crocheting along with me. It was like we

were in a race to see how many stitches we could get done before the

forklift driver came in with an order.

Most of the time it would only take him about 5 minutes, but depending on

what it was I could do about 3 or 4 rows, and it was also a great place to

sell things, 'cause people were constantly looking to see what I was making.

Look at all the gorgeous creations that are pinned on Pinterest and it is

amazing what people have come up with. Crochet is at one of it's most

creative era's in it's history, I believe.

Oh well, blabbed long enough. Time to check on the sweet potatoes. Lol, have to

cook a little more to go with what's left of the turkey and dressing now, since

we've already at at lunch.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Hi.

I think sewing might be a dying art.  Over the last few years the major pattern companies have consolidated.  Vogue, Butterick and McCalls are now one company and Simplicy  is now the Simplicty Creative Group with Boye and other companies.

In NYC Knitting became very trending with young women   a few years, lot of new high end yarn stores.  Lion Brand openned a store in the village.    

I crochet, sew and knit.  I rarely sew any more because I don't have the time.   I am alway kniting or crocheting something and I do one or the other almost every day usually in the evening after dinner before going to bed.

When I was working full time, I would knit or crochet  on the subway during my commute to work.  

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

Crochet is not a dying art!! Lots of young people are taking it up.With sites like Pintrist and others people are getting interested in handmade again. It's becoming fashionable to wear something you made and the new thing is to take an old garment like an old sweater, unravel it,and reuse the yarn to make something else.

Sewing machines are a difficult sell because of shipping. I have several, well way too many, vintage machines, I love the old basic ones,all metal.They are great for someone learning to sew as they are not complicated no computer parts to die.I usually find them free or inexpensive on CL or in the thrift stores.

Next time you have boxes of goodies hit me up..I love the old trims,buttons,spools,etc. and put them to good use.I make charity quilts,pet beds for shelters,etc.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

IDK, I was able to sell a lot of sewing machines off the big CL.  Many people are finding the new sewing machines are junk after a few years.  Plus they are not made as well for sewing heavier items.  So they look for one like their mom's and grandma's sewing machines.  The ones made to last forever.  

When I sold the machines, the buyer got a clean, oiled, well running machine.  I also tried to get a manual for the machine as well as all the other accessories for it.  They were given a free lesson and my phone number in case there was a problem.  Only one man had a problem and he called me and I was able to walk him through it over the phone.  

My friend and I are planning on having a quilting night and there will be people there from ages 13-64.  There will probably be about 10 people present.   Who knows we could end up having more parties.

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

That's so neat! I remember my granny talking about quilting parties when she was

growing up they called them quilting bees.

The knitting communnities have knitting parties in yarn shops and even some coffee

shops, but I don't know what they call them.

Oh and crochet and knitting folks do "yarn bombing" where they crochet stuff around

lamp posts, stop signs, etc. for a day or so. Don't know how long they keep it on

there though.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

I do believe that a lot of the sewing nowadays is with quilting and boutique,though.

Lots of young moms are buying that chevron patterned cloth and whipping something

up in a few seconds for the baby.

Pillowcase dresses are pretty popular too.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

You are right.  I tell people who are just beginnng to sew to keep it simple.  Once they get the knack, they can decide what projects they want to attempt.  The pillow dresses are great and can be done using a piece of fabric in stead of a pillow case.  Just sew a seam in it to make the tube and finish from there.

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

If I wasn't able to carve out some time to embroider, knit or crochet (occasionally sew) I think I would go crazy.  Even if it is just 30 minutes while watching tv at night, I always have a craft going... sometimes more than one.  My family knows this and understands when I say, "can't talk I am counting".   Needlework is a great stress reliever. 

I sell vintage craft patterns and supplies on ebay and do pretty well.  It keeps me in fun money and I can recycle my own patterns and craft stash when I need to.  It is a great way to make room for more.  Unfortunately I have never had much luck selling smocking supplies in the US.  I think smocking is still a popular craft in Europe, but not here.  You might try seeing what the international ebay markets are like. 

My daughter was not interested at all when she was growing up, but she changed her mind in college.  She kind of knits and would like to crochet and she sews.  Her favorite sewing machine is a 1963 singer that was my mom's.  They don't make them like they used too. 

Good luck!  I hope you can find a  good home for your stash and find your way back to needlework.

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

Hey Clutter!

I saw you talking on the circular knitting needle thread.

Google Ira Rott. That woman has some fantastic patterns for kids and

young people and a beautiful bruges lace skirt and cardigan too. I bet

if your daughter looked around over there she would vow and determine

to learn to crochet. lol

See you on the boards!

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the google suggestion.  Amazing patterns.  I really liked the parasols.  Have you seen babukatorium's work?  Google.  The colors are amazing.
My daughter is a costume designer so textiles of all sorts interest her, but she doesn't have much patience when it comes to actually doing them herself.  She is just finishing up an internship at Disneyland and then will be home for awhile so I am hoping she will finally have the time to learn to crochet.  Woman LOL

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Lots of young moms are buying that chevron patterned cloth and whipping something

up in a few seconds for the baby.

The calll them stitch and b**ch

Message 30 of 41
latest reply