cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

I used to be an avid crocheter, sewer and smocker.  If I sat down for two minutes, I was working on something creative.  Now, fast forward 30 years.  I have grandbabies, full time job and no time to do anything else.  I have tons of smocking and sewing and crocheting stuff just sitting here.  Boxes and boxes of heirloom fabric. I could probably open a craft store and have full inventory lol. I miss it so much, but there are not enough hours in the day for me to even begin a project.  Which leads me to this...is it just me or is this the way the trend is going now?  I have thought about selling most of my stuff as my daughters are not interested at all in it.  However, when I search ebay for completed listings, it seems that this type of stuff  doesnt even have much of a market 😞  What little I have listed didn't even sell.  Is this a dying art?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

I sure hope they are not dying arts!  I am a grandma and I sew, quilt, and machine embroider. I am a newbie at quilting, and I love to hand sew on the binding. I am fortunate to have a fantastic embroidery machine which I use all the time.  Recently I purchased a used sit-down mid arm quilting machine.  Unfortunately I have a pain disability, chronic neck pain, and some days I cannot sit in front of the machines.  I get withdrawal pangs after one day!  Then I try to do hand work.  I do knitting on a plastic loom for charity, and now I am trying English paper piecing.  I can do these sitting down and resting my neck.  I have been trying to crochet and I am improving.  My daughter, a young mom, has also tried sewing and crochet.  Two of my granddaughters are highly interested in crafting, and one had sewing in home ec.  She sews a bit now, and the younger one is definitely interested!  When she comes over, my sewing room is her store, and I am the customer.  She LOVES doing that.  She fondles the fabrics and arranges them just so.

I am gratified that certain charities need these handcrafted items to warm, dress, or comfort others, so I can do things to help, even tho I am disabled.  It makes me feel that my life is worthwhile.  I have told several young women I know, who have mentioned that they want to learn to sew, that they have a standing invitation to come over and learn from me.  I have a machine from a yard sale that anyone can plunk away on and not worry about breaking, until they learn a bit.  In my world, these are not dying arts.  I told someone recently that I have to sew or die!  I have been sewing nearly 50 years as my mom, who was a wonderfully skilled sewist, taught me the basics when I was a little girl.  It is very hard for me to have all these projects going, and then be in too much pain to go into my little sewing studio and work on them.  I have to grab a handcraft and get busy or I will cry.  I have made  many items of clothing for myself and my kids over the years, and now I embroider on clothing, towels, aprons, pillows, pillowcases, etc, for gifts and for family.  Everyone seems to be pleased with what I make, as I try to cater it to each persons personality.  Oh, and I also make greeting cards for family, and they seem to like them. 

Obviously I have more time on my hands then most women; I think that with working, lots of women are busier than ever before.  I think the secret is, like you all have mentioned, to sneak in a bit of time in a waiting room, or in front of the TV.  I don't think these crafts will die out, due to necessity, and the great feeling of satisfaction one gets from handcrafting something!!  I hope you can all squeeze in a bit of time for these great crafts! 

I have considered having an Etsy store, but I don't know if that would be a good idea for me, since I may not be able to keep up.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Crochet and sewing are not dying arts.  I can't crochet that well, but I can sew.  I am constantly making doll clothes and other handmade items.  Some of my stuff sells quick.  I just keep relisting the other stuff until it sells.  As I am working on one project, I am thinking of what I will make next.  My sister crochets dolls sweaters, hats, shoes,etc.  She does well on this site.  All of you busy ladies out there, please find a few minutes a day to work at your craft.  They are relaxing too.  Think of all the beautiful items you can create with your hands. Not everybody can do what we can do.   I will continue to sew until I can't see anymore or I can't use my hands anymore.  Watch Project Runway and The Oscars.  You will be inspired to sew after you see the clothes they are wearing.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Well, as far as time is concerned--I see a lot of people texting all the time.

Their phones are like an extension of their body or something. Every time I

hear t hat "voom,vooom,voom" and they take out the phone and look at it I'm

like "time, you have time forthat, but you don't have time for something useful?"

It's like they've got to pick it up. Reminds me of the over active bladder commercial

but this is with a phone.

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

Clutter, I went and looked at Babu's things. Love all those colors!

I am having a ball finding all these sites on the internet.

There's a place called Fabulous yarn and it sells cashmere, and mohair and

alpaca and silk yarn, and other fibers. It's amazing, but the luxury yarn is

expensive, but makes you want to save up for it.lol

Ravelry has some of t he neatest patterns. I've also found a place called

Vintage Visage that has antique patterns--some truly gorgeous baby blanket

patterns.

I could go on and on, but half the fun is in finding the place.

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I sew...well I don't sew, I quilt...and now i'm crocheting again.

Just listed some of my dishcloths on a  local swap shop. I'm curious to see how they sell, lol.

I'm crocheting for the fun of it, but I actually quilt as my second job.

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Hi, I crochet all the time, give away lots, but also sell afghans, hats and other things on Ebay and a couple other sites. Been crocheting for over 40 years, as well as knitting. Love it!!

\

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

I remember a great sewing teacher in Seattle who would tell us:  "Ladies, get that quilt out of the box, put it on your bed and wear it out--cause when you die, your kids--who don't sew--will use that quilt to wrap the WATER HEATER, and cover furniture in the MOVING VAN!" 

That is how I try to live--get that beautiful fabric out and into the world...

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Is this group still open?

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

@one-happy-woman wrote:

I remember a great sewing teacher in Seattle who would tell us:  "Ladies, get that quilt out of the box, put it on your bed and wear it out--cause when you die, your kids--who don't sew--will use that quilt to wrap the WATER HEATER, and cover furniture in the MOVING VAN!" 

That is how I try to live--get that beautiful fabric out and into the world...

I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I wanted to thank you. I was given some beautiful silk fabric purchased in Occupied Japan. I've been terrified to do anything with it. My son suggested I give it to someone with extensive sewing experience. 😉

I'm not thoroughly convinced I should use it, but you've helped move me toward not leaving it in the storage bin. Thanks!

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

@laurensmom18 wrote:

I used to be an avid crocheter, sewer and smocker.  If I sat down for two minutes, I was working on something creative.  Now, fast forward 30 years.  I have grandbabies, full time job and no time to do anything else.  I have tons of smocking and sewing and crocheting stuff just sitting here.  Boxes and boxes of heirloom fabric. I could probably open a craft store and have full inventory lol. I miss it so much, but there are not enough hours in the day for me to even begin a project.  Which leads me to this...is it just me or is this the way the trend is going now?  I have thought about selling most of my stuff as my daughters are not interested at all in it.  However, when I search ebay for completed listings, it seems that this type of stuff  doesnt even have much of a market 😞  What little I have listed didn't even sell.  Is this a dying art?

My daughter-in-law crochets, cooks, and gardens. Also, I recently had to hire caregivers. Both are young women under 30. One crochets; the other sews and crochets. It did my heart some good to see it's not a thing of the past. It was wonderful to be able to share the fabric and notions I've collected over the past 40 years with them, as well as show them my grandmother and great grandmother's treasures. I only have sons and grandsons. They couldn't care less. Hope that makes you feel a little better. 🙂

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

I am not so sure about crochet.  i believe it is declining in popularty.  I do think knitting is making a comeback.  i go out on you tube and there are oodles and boodles of podcasts.

Message 41 of 41
latest reply