eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Millenium 966-1966 Polish Szczerbiec Sword letter opener? in case

Hello again. If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it. I came across what I think is a letter opener. It is approx. 10 inches long and at the handle it is approx. 2 ¼ inches across. I don’t think it is made of any precious metals. I do think the case is hand carved because the engravings are not uniform and it is mostly repeating designs/patterns. Under the red cushion there is a book that tells the story. The problem I am having is that there is no issue date, MFG or recipient information or anything else, it is possible that this info is there but I can’t read it. From what I think I can make out it was issued in 1966, I have included pictures. If you read the story in the picture it explains what this represents and what it is in commemoration of, at the bottom where the yarn is a wax seal, it is not legible. There is also a pic of when the lid is raised and there is a title page that is protected(?) by a waxy outer paper.. I would really appreciate any help and information or a place to start would be greatly appreciated also. I am working on getting a detailed scan of a page that might have more info, I can’t read it though. TIA for any help.

Please use plain text.
springfld.arsenal
Community Member

in reply to ftord227
Here's the "official" story of the sword-I'd guess the text that came with yours has similar information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczerbiec
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Millenium 966-1966 Polish Szczerbiec Sword letter opener? in case

in reply to ftord227
I have several of these that I purchased in Warsaw in 1977. I think they were commerative souveniers for 1000 years of Poland's founding. They are miniature copies of the Polish coronation sword.
They can be used as letter openers or simply hung on a wall for decoration.
I think the gilt is real gold filled. Unfortunately, they are not very valuable.

Polishboy2
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ftord227
How much are they worth roughly?
Please use plain text.