eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

1923 Johnson Fare Box Belt Coin Changer - Trolley Cars?

Photobucket

I have a 1923 Johnson Fare Box Coin Changer which came from an estate. Imprinted on each coin section is ''Johnson Fare Box Co., Chicago, Pat. 1465409 (which coincides with the year 1923).'' I've also got some little coins that came in the Box - they read Dept. of Finance - State of Illinois on the reverse side they read Retailers Occupation Token 1 1/2 Mills. 47 of the tokens read Retailers' and 5 read Retailer's. Does any one know anyting about this kindof stuff. Is this Historical Memorabilia? Any clue why the two tokens are different.
Please use plain text.
raretomes
Community Member

in reply to johnabaptist
Yes, it is historical memorabilia. Have you checked the two in completed? They don't have boxes--maybe never did. Yours looks like it was used at a stationary spot. There is one (current, I think, with a belt). What are the papers in the back?

The wording isn't important, I don't think. The correct wording would be "Retailer's Occupation Token" if for one retailer. If for several, it would be "Retailers'."

Think of it this way: A dancer is on stage and doing well. One might say: "The dancer's steps were lovely." Two dancers may be on stage and doing well. One would then say: "The dancers' steps were lovely." It is just grammar--they caught themselves and fixed it. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to johnabaptist
The Papers in the Back are old Newspaper articles and clippings from 1923 - havent messed with them really.
Please use plain text.
richarde13
Community Member

in reply to johnabaptist
Yes, the changer is from a trolley or bus...

The tokens have no relation to the changer and are in fact tax tokens...

All you ever need to know about tax tokens

Accepting that your truths are not absolute for everyone,
or even right for everyone is the first step on the road to true reason.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to johnabaptist
Thanks so much for the information on the tokens.
Please use plain text.