cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Perfume

Hello, I was wondering if you folks who sell perfume have trouble with shipping. I have gotten quite a few "old" perfumes at estate auctions and would really like to get them listed. In the past when I've taken the few that I've sold to the post office, I tell them that it is perfume and they look flustered. They've read through their regulations and can't find anything. I end up saying, "It isn't very much. No more than someone would take with them on an airplane. I have it wrapped in paper towel and in a zip-lock." They say, ok. Am I missing something or am I going to have to go through this routine every time? Thanks for any advice.
Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Shipping Perfume

Hello and I hope this helps you out I am a seller of colognes and perfumes and oils on ebay. Even though USPS will not send it through their system. UPS Ground will ship cologne and perfume but you have to go to a UPS office. I have heard FED EX does too but I heard their expensive I haven't tried FED EX yet. Hope this info was helpful

@electricnana2010 wrote:

It's such a hassle. I sold 2 bottles of perfume here, then went to mail them at the post office and was told that there's no way to ship them at all via any service, ground or air, because they're flammable. Since I'd already seen someone on this thread talking about shpping via ground being OK, I was incredulous, and worked my way up the chain of the command at the post office trying to see what could be done about mailing these packages. After speaking to four different people who all said the same thing - sending perfume is illegal, I'm fully convinced. I had to cancel the orders and refund payments, and now one of the buyers has given me a negative review, which sucks because up until now I've had an above average seller record. I'm sure I could have just wrapped them up and put them in the mail with no one being the wiser, but what if they'd been found? I wouldn't want to go to jail over $20 worth of old perfume, or even worse, end up getting a plane crashed because of my greed. Ebay shouldn't allow us to post any items that cannot be sold legally or shipped legally.

@electricnana2010 wrote:

It's such a hassle. I sold 2 bottles of perfume here, then went to mail them at the post office and was told that there's no way to ship them at all via any service, ground or air, because they're flammable. Since I'd already seen someone on this thread talking about shpping via ground being OK, I was incredulous, and worked my way up the chain of the command at the post office trying to see what could be done about mailing these packages. After speaking to four different people who all said the same thing - sending perfume is illegal, I'm fully convinced. I had to cancel the orders and refund payments, and now one of the buyers has given me a negative review, which sucks because up until now I've had an above average seller record. I'm sure I could have just wrapped them up and put them in the mail with no one being the wiser, but what if they'd been found? I wouldn't want to go to jail over $20 worth of old perfume, or even worse, end up getting a plane crashed because of my greed. Ebay shouldn't allow us to post any items that cannot be sold legally or shipped legally.

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

You can ship perfume products if they are packaged properly and only by ground transport.  I just had the same thing happen to me 6-3-15.  I took off the priority mailing info and it was fine.  I was quite surprised; I wonder what they do with peple traveling across the US or overseas on vacations????

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

I shipped perfume yesterday at the USPS, ground. The catch is the amount  that is allowed, which is 3 oz.. However, the 5oz.. bottle I just sold, has to go UPS and there is  no store here so I am going to end up on the phone asking someone questions about it,  especially since I never ship UPS. 

Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Message 49 of 80
latest reply

I have worked in hazmat at the local retail chain store and I confirmed with the Post(person)man, that it can only be shipped ground and it has to be standing up etc...  This is what we do at the local retail stores, (at least) the one I came from.  The perfume is a hazmat issue, but shipped properly, can be mailed.  

just to mention, you would not believe items just as lip stick, lots of other makeup are considered hazmat material.

Anyways, I hope these links help.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm100/dmm100.pdf   (standard mailing guide)

http://about.usps.com/notices/not107.pdf   (keeping the mail safe)

Lisa

Message 50 of 80
latest reply

Sometimes the cashier can be wrong. They are only human. I just sent a package with perfume moments ago. I expected a hassle but was pleasantly surprised. They didn't even ask how much perfume was in the box. I had a parcel select ground shipping label on it and told the guy that it contained perfume in case he needed to do something special with it. He said as long as it ships by ground, it's fine.
Message 51 of 80
latest reply

Well I will say this....I sold a $500 bottle of perfume and it was to go to Paris France.  I spent over a total WEEK trying everything from even trying to hire a legal hazmat trained company who ships overseas, to ship my bottle....NO NO NO NO!!!  It was not allowed no matter who I called from state and federal places to local fragrance retail stores.  It is ILLEGAL and not matter what everyone is saying here on ebay that they shipped through the postal service is LYING to the post office.  If they get caught according to the FEDERAL GOVT. international shipping and local (US Only shipping) if you get caught and..... they do X-RAY skids going overseas (which is what I would prefer so that many more people do not get blown up from terrorists etc) the fines are more than anyone I know can afford with prison time possible.  That is exactly what I was told OVER AND OVER.  You can ONLY send in the US via ground only shipping.  If the perfume is very very old, like most of mine are, you have to have a license to show you can prove precisely that it has all oil and no alcohol.  Well who can do that???  Not me so I did the right thing and did FED X shipment, which was really not that bad.  My France buyer got an address in US to a friend that will ship it so her, since that friend has a perfume company and is licensed to ship oversea's.  So hope this all helps, if you do not declare it perfume, you will be in serious trouble....don't try it, postal office main hub (friend of mine in supervision) said they get caught all the time.  And don't risk it, because the punishment is far worse than the profit.  Thanks

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

I sold a bottle of perfume to a customer.She was just a seller. I advised her I am unable to ship over seas. She said put in a different box, and do not tell them. I emailed back and said sorry I cannot. She said I buy all the time from the USA. I still said sorry I cannot.
Message 53 of 80
latest reply

Perfume is flammable and can really engulf once heated...
Message 54 of 80
latest reply

As long as you have insurance guys, because if anything goes wrong and someone is hurt, they will be glad they recorded the details of people who can comment.. "oh well they can lose their planes" so I guess people won't care until it goes wrong..
Be savvy people
Message 55 of 80
latest reply

Watch out for the 6 oz minimum? You mean as to be over 6 oz??
Message 56 of 80
latest reply

Thanks for the links — which perhaps created more confusion!

Perfumes (containing alcohol) are specifically mentioned on the list of Prohibited International Items. But they are not specifically listed on the list of Prohibited Domestic Items. Searching for the words "perfume" or "cologne" on the entire document found neither.

So I am not yet ready to call this issue resolved.

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

I have shipped numerous bottles ground. I have now been told if it is 2 ounces or less I can ago USPS priority. Go figure.

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

Go figure, indeed. But thanks for your input.

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

So would this mean a 1 oz bottle I just sold would be okay going  first class? I am unsure what's gonna happen (I don't generally sell this stuff but I had a bottle that was pretty much unused from 8 years ago sitting around and thought why not sell it) but sounds like that may be the case. Curious to find out.

Message 60 of 80
latest reply