eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Re: PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

in reply to newenglandnew
I am so scared right now...My root canal tooth is still hurting me after 8months. I havn't had it crowned yet as I got braces before it was crowned as I was told it the bracket wouldn't stick to the crown tooth. But now. I am experiencing my tooth cracking and pain...my dentis has filled it but the filling has come out twice now and this time the crack feels larger and more painful I just really hope my tooth can hold up thru these darn braces I really do...Its really stressing me out :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
markowitz57
Community Member

in reply to markowitz57

Sorry, that is tooth resorption, an uncommon condition.  It is when your immune system thinks your teeth are foreign invaders and starts to attack them.  Evidently it is not easy for most endodontists to identify.  Mine had a CAT scan machine in her office.  Please get this checked out soon, it can attack nearby teeth.

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Please use plain text.
markowitz57
Community Member

I also had a dentist fracture on of my front teeth during a root canal. The pain was unbearable. When I went back, he never told me he did it. I ended up having another root canal on the tooth, and since I had to have the tooth crowned I needed a root canal on the other front tooth because now I needed crowns for both front teeth so they would match. I had to have a protheodontist make special crowns because my teeth are discolored from early antibiotics. Your root canaled teeth should not be sensitive to anything!
Please use plain text.
markowitz57
Community Member

I had a similar problem. A tooth that had been root candles years ago started hurting. The first encodings I saw was very flippant and told me to see my dentist because I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. My dentist could see that I wasn't and ground down my crown to adjust for bite. That wasn't it. My tooth was so sensitive to hot cold and pressure. I looked for an endodontist in an upscale area and she found the problem right away. It was not the root canaled tooth that was the problem but the molar behind it. I was suffering from tooth restoration which is uncommon but an endodontistshould have diagnosed it. When she put cold on the tooth I wanted to jump through the roof. She took a CAT scan of my jaw and you could see the Jaw bone disintegrating. The bad molar was pulled and all is well now. If the tooth restoration is not addressed it can spread to other teeth.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hot sensitivity is asign the nerve is dead.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

RE TO HOT COLD SENSITIVITY: an ivy league dentist told me if its cold sensitivity thats ok because the tooth is alive. Hot or warm sensitivity means the tooth root is dead.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to scott93788
How did ur root,canaled tooth turn out? I have the same symptoms as you did.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

It sounds like it is fractured. You need to be on antibiotics to see if the tooth calms down, if not and hurts when you eat or touch it, then it can be fractured. A dentist can check with a explorer if the tooth is loose, xrays do not always show a fracture. If it is too much to bare and you are having headaches, ear ache, whole side of face hurts bad, then you get a second opinion or you have it extracted. Do not get a crown over that tooth if you have this kind of pain. A crown will not get rid of this problem and it will cost you the money you put into it. Have an actual endodontics look at it. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to princess*of*tides

I had a tooth filled at a dental school.  The dentist forgot to turn the drill off as he took it out of my mouth and drilled through my bottom lip.  He was having an exam and had to have the instructors grade every step, so he laid a gauze over my lip and proceeded.  I had to go up to the oral surgeon to have my lip sewn up.  Needless to say, I have not been back to the dental school.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I guess I'm joining the club of painful teeth with root canals. I had a root canal done on my upper molar probably 8 years ago or so. Everything was fine until 3 week ago when I started to experience a lot of pressure on that tooth. I have had invisalign for over 2 years now and before that I had jaw expenders for 1.5 years (I'm 33 now). So, my first thought was maybe it is the invisalign that is causing the pressure (although it was unusual because in the past I felt only a bit of pressure for couple of hours after putting a new invisalign trays).

Couple of days later the pressure was still there, so I decided to go to a dentist. He took x-rays and told me that I had cavities in a tooth in front of and a tooth behind of the root canal tooth. He told me that the feeling of pressure was probably coming from one of these 2 teeth, since my root canal looked normal on the x-ray.

Couple of day later I got both cavities done. Dentist told me that my teeth might be a little sensitive for couple of days, but after that pain should be gone. Unfortunately, that was not the case. My molar still hurt and on top of this, one of the cavities he fixed was between the teeth and it seemed like he did not leave enough space between these teeth, so I couldn’t floss and constantly felt like something was stuck in there. I went back, he made some space (still not great, but at least I can floss now). I asked him about the pressure and sensitivity to cold. Dentist told me (again) that the sensitivity was coming probably from the tooth that had a cavity and that it should go away in about 3 weeks. Was he wrong.

It's been almost a month and I find myself still in pain. Or maybe not pain, but a lot of discomfort and feeling of pressure. I also know now that since the beginning I was right. That pressure is coming from my root canal molar, because now I cannot even drink cold beverages. My teeth are pretty sensitive to cold in general (especially ice cream, not so much cold drinks), but this molar takes it to another level. I can't even rinse my mouth after brushing teeth. I have to first warm up water using the right side of my mouth and then rinse on the left. I did the test with warm drink and it is not bad. I feel a bit of pressure only a tiny bit after I actually swallow the drink and not when I keep it hot in my mouth. I hope that it is a good sign.

I read all of post here and I'm kind terrified. I have no dental insurance and it seems like it can be one of 4 things:

1. I have a 4th canal that was overseen;

2. I have some sort of infection that did not show on the x-ray (my gum has been a bit sore for last 4 days, but maybe I cut myself

trying to get the floss though that tight spot between the teeth);

3. I need to get that procedure done with snipping off roots in my gum;

4. Tooth is fractured and it did not show on the x-rays.

Did I miss any other common diagnosis?

I planning to make appointments with 2 different endo to get their opinions before I start spending real $$ and let them dig in my tooth.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to zagkitty

Did the dentist that did the root canel and then did the gum procedure charge you for the gam procedure.  I just paid $1500 to have the root canel and now he wants to charge $1000 to do the next procedure - seems to me that there should not be a charge?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to prismwave

Day 4, still pressure sensitive. Yesterday I accidentally chewed on that side. Ouch. Hurt like heck. Understatement. Note to self: don't do that again. Decided to try a day without pain meds to see where it's at. Trying not to aggravate it but still throbbing slightly. About the same as when I started.  In other news, my bad knee felt great for the last few days while on pain meds. Now that I am off those it feels much worse than before. Oi, that's just what I needed to take my mind off my tooth.

Won't update unless there is something new to report.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to prismwave

Day 3 and still very pressure sensitive. Still taking over the counter anti-inflammatories and tylenol as well as the clyndamycin. Not much has changed. Upper jaw still has swelling. I don't think this bodes well for the outcome.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to prismwave

So here it is 24 hrs after the procedure and there is still a lot of sensitivity when I press on the tooth, as well as swelling in my cheek bone. I've been taking over the counter analgesics to take away the throbbing, alternating tylenol and advil. It's not unbearable but I don't recall feeling this way after any previous root canal. I am not convinced it was done right. I called my dentist today and she wanted to prescribe a steroid for the inflammation, I refused. Don't want any more meds if possible, especially steroids as I already take inhaler steroids for asthma. Still taking the anti-biotics as well, not sure if they are doing anything at all since the pain level has not changed, and she didn't see visible infection. She told me what I am feeling today is because of the surrounding soft tissue and this frequently happens from a root canal. I'm not so sure because I have had numerous root canals and this has never happened to me before. I think there are other nerves involved. We'll see if it calms down over the next few days but, it's a long weekend, of course, so I hope I don't have to go to an emergency dentist for treatment if it gets significantly worse. She refused to prescribe percacets that I asked for as a back up because I wouldn't take the steroid she was suggesting.  And up here in Canada the whole opiod med thing has got everyone scared and now they are reluctant to prescribe them. I've only ever had them once in my life (for the abcessed tooth that was pulled a few years back), so I'm a high risk for dependency, umm yeah sure. No common sense there. I told her if the RC has failed then I will get it extracted. She said, "it didn't fail, I drilled right to the end and I sealed it".  And I'm thinking, how can you be so sure, it's only been 24 hours? I've lost faith at this point.

Darn, it's time to take more tylenol.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cat2bryan

Hi and thank you to everyone for their contributions, if any of you are still around. I've read all the posts which were interesting and informative.  I am up in Canada. I have dental coverage for most things. I  need dentures but would onlly be covered 50% for the plate so I have to wait until I can afford the cost and the time off from work, as well as dealing with other ailments.

I found this forum after searching for answers after an RC I had done today and experienced excessive pain. I have * a lot * of dental history and largely at 52 I am still lucky to have any teeth at all. I am one of those genetically dentally challenged people, which I believe to be true based on what I have experienced.  Along with genetics, diet and care does play a part, but if you are given **bleep** to start out with, that's a tough boat to row.  My mom had dentures at 16. When I was an infant I was on antibiotics for about 3 years due to chronic tonsilitis. It wrecked the enamel on my permanent teeth while they were forming. I had peridontal work done at age 18 and numerous root canals over my life, as well as about 8 extractions, I can't keep count anymore. One failed root canal done at age 12 that was redone at 25, only to later have a huge cyst and hole in my upper jaw at 35, then RC redone again, finally that  tooth (eye tooth) extracted two years ago.  All done by different dentists and surgeons. But nothing like what happened today.

After a while being sensitive, the tooth started throbbing a few days ago, I got antibiotics when I went in and the dentist told me to come back the next day to do the RC, only after one day on the anti-biotics! I said ,are you sure? She said, yes, should be fine. (First clue, should be).  The tooth was still sore when I came in. The tooth didn't freeze and I felt everything. EVERYTHiNG! I kept protesting, the dentist even anaesthatized the root directly but it didn't work. She said there was no visible infection so she wasn't sure why I was feeling everything still.  I wasn't convinced when she told me the pulp was all gone as I could still feel pain when she was probing. I asked again, are you sure?  She said yes, she cleaned out to the end of the root. When the gutta percha went in I almost went through the ceiling and nearly passed out. The tears streamed down my face for 5 minutes while I tried to breathe heavily to deal with the pain until it slowly calmed.  As I said, I have had a lot of dental work, but no pain ever like this. I once had an abcessed tooth extracted while in full abcess. That pain was not even close to this.  On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 12.The dentist exclaimed that what I was feeling was not a normal reaction. Duh! No kidding. My original dentist retired and this was the dentist that took over the practice, and since the beginning I have not had a lot of faith in new dentists from other stories I have heard. Later she told me the pain was probably the hot gutta percha spilling into the soft tissue outside the end of the root, and that she had to finish inserting it once she started. In the past, root canals were always done in two stages, this one was done all at once. I think this is the reason why they do them in two stages, to ensure the root is dead!

My concern is that there is another root. The tooth I had done was an upper pre-molar, I think.  It would be 4th from the back counting the wizzy which is gone. The molar beside the pre-molar is also gone, leaving one molar at the back on that side. During the procedure she said there was only one root but my gut instinct tells me that sounds incorrect. Again I asked, are you sure? She took 2 xrays during the procedure to confirm the end of the root etc. But I know my husband went through this and he had a re-treat RC because of an extra root that wasn't found until he had one of those x-rays that sweep around the head.  I guess time will tell if the pain doesn't dull. My intial thought was just to have it pulled, but it is one of my last few teeth that I use for chewing, so I thought I would give it a shot. I need to get dentures, but doing that just has to wait, I just had colon re-section surgery and need to recover from that. In the meantime my diet has been changed since sadly I can't chew much of anything anymore.

My question is, if the gutta percha went into the soft tissue will this cause problems?

thanks in advance for any answers

Please use plain text.
angelove239
Community Member

see if u can find a good, knowledgeable dentist who has a laser to clean out the infection/area where the root was canaled...lots of times there is still bacteria etc in there festering & can come to haunt the patient yrs down the road,,,hence, if u can find a dnetist who uses a laser he/she can go in there & really clean/clear & seal it properly...i had this experience and once it was lasered have had zero issue....otherwise, there is h@#$ to pay if it wasn't properly done/cleaned. good luck & hope this can help u!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flagg0000
also forgot to add that my roots had calcified. Which is why one of my root canals had to be redone.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to frazzedmom

I am 32 and have had four root canals. The first root canal had to be done twice. After that one I went to a new dentist.  All the while I was also very sick. Mild fever, fatigue, joint pain etc. Got second one done no problems, third one was painful for two weeks, subsided into dull mild pain.  When i complained (my uncle is my dentist) he told me it looked great and fixed my bite, that helped and now I've been mostly pain free, though still sick.  Went back in and had a fourth root canal, this one was three days ago and really hurts.  It was only hot and cold sensitive so it hurts much worse now than before. It hurts to touch, sometimes it has really sever shooting pain for a second. Mostly it is a dull pain.  Any ideas?

Also not sure if it's related prob not but I have numbness and tingling and shooting nerve pain in my legs.  Wondering if maybe I have MS and I should not be getting these root canals because they are just MS symptoms...though this tooth was cold sensitive for at least a year before I had the root canal. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Talk about being late to this discussion... but I'll throw in my two cents worth, anyway.

Came across this quite by accident, but amazingly have been through this recently, and so I ended up being sucked into reading all 13 pages of this post.
...WOW!
Some of this sounds like it should end up in some sort of "Journal of Medical Horrors", and clearly we all have varying levels of education and first-hand experience, BUT I believe "rednails" has summed it up best with the
"when it comes to teeth....each person needs a different approach and a different way to correct THEIR dental problem...
THINK SNOWFLAKES
.... " approach.

Now, with that said, please remember that Common Sense Rules! Nobody knows your body like you do! If you know something is not right, (DO NOT let a doctor/dentist intimidate you) get a second opinion.
Please use plain text.
rednails243
Community Member

root canal and crowns are "old school"

this is an interesting and controversial opinion but one I am inclined to agree with......

BUT.....

that said

that opinion is not to be applied with a "big brush"..

when it comes to teeth....each person needs a different approach and a different way to correct THEIR dental problem...
THINK SNOWFLAKES....

no two are the same
a better place
Please use plain text.