cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I've been going to a dental school to get cheaper prices on my dental work. The first thing they did was to tell me I needed a root canal and so I let them do it.

That was six months ago and it hurt after they did it. They kept saying the pain would wear off. I think it's also making my sinus blocked up and I have a sinus headache all the time.

Finally they did xrays and the head of endodontry said that the root canal looked beautiful. He tapped on my teeth and I almost went through the ceiling when he tapped lightly on the root canal tooth.

The he tested my teeth for cold and he said that it was the NEXT tooth to the root canal tooth that the gum was sensitive to cold.

He says THAT tooth needs a root canal.

Meanwhile, the original root canal tooth that they did is killing me. I can't chew on that side and even if I put my finger on that tooth it hurts.

I always though that after the nerve had been removed from a tooth you couldn't have pain. This is horrible. Can anyone help? TIA
Message 1 of 230
latest reply
229 REPLIES 229

Re: PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

RE TO HOT COLD SENSITIVITY: an ivy league dentist told me if its cold sensitivity thats ok because the tooth is alive. Hot or warm sensitivity means the tooth root is dead.
Message 196 of 230
latest reply

Hot sensitivity is asign the nerve is dead.
Message 197 of 230
latest reply

I had a similar problem. A tooth that had been root candles years ago started hurting. The first encodings I saw was very flippant and told me to see my dentist because I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. My dentist could see that I wasn't and ground down my crown to adjust for bite. That wasn't it. My tooth was so sensitive to hot cold and pressure. I looked for an endodontist in an upscale area and she found the problem right away. It was not the root canaled tooth that was the problem but the molar behind it. I was suffering from tooth restoration which is uncommon but an endodontistshould have diagnosed it. When she put cold on the tooth I wanted to jump through the roof. She took a CAT scan of my jaw and you could see the Jaw bone disintegrating. The bad molar was pulled and all is well now. If the tooth restoration is not addressed it can spread to other teeth.
Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 198 of 230
latest reply

I also had a dentist fracture on of my front teeth during a root canal. The pain was unbearable. When I went back, he never told me he did it. I ended up having another root canal on the tooth, and since I had to have the tooth crowned I needed a root canal on the other front tooth because now I needed crowns for both front teeth so they would match. I had to have a protheodontist make special crowns because my teeth are discolored from early antibiotics. Your root canaled teeth should not be sensitive to anything!
Message 199 of 230
latest reply

Sorry, that is tooth resorption, an uncommon condition.  It is when your immune system thinks your teeth are foreign invaders and starts to attack them.  Evidently it is not easy for most endodontists to identify.  Mine had a CAT scan machine in her office.  Please get this checked out soon, it can attack nearby teeth.

Message 200 of 230
latest reply

I am so scared right now...My root canal tooth is still hurting me after 8months. I havn't had it crowned yet as I got braces before it was crowned as I was told it the bracket wouldn't stick to the crown tooth. But now. I am experiencing my tooth cracking and pain...my dentis has filled it but the filling has come out twice now and this time the crack feels larger and more painful I just really hope my tooth can hold up thru these darn braces I really do...Its really stressing me out 😞
Message 201 of 230
latest reply

Man, I thought I was the only one with Dental School horror stories!

Message 202 of 230
latest reply

l take great offense to your statement that people that have root canals have neglected their dental hygeine. First of all who are you to say they have neglected their dental hygiene? I have not neglected my teeth but have had to have numerous root canals. I have spent tremendous amounts of money over my 64 years to try to save my teeth. I brush & floss so it has nothing to do with that. You are lumping everyone into one category. To have the problems of having to get multiple roots canals that failed & to loose those teeth anyway & then have bridges put in to only have to have more root canals in capped teeth that bridge is attached to has been a nightmare. To have a person that just lumps everyone into a certain category with such arrogance is very ignorant.
Message 203 of 230
latest reply

I am a dental professional, I can help dental patients via my new ebay page

Plz have a look over it, and get benefits out of it.. thank you..

Message 204 of 230
latest reply

Hey buddy question. So I had a root canal I did over a year ago. Lately I'm feeling pain in that tooth. It's annoying, not sure what it is... Pain comes and goes. I've noticed after I eat I feel throbbing as well. I will be seeing and endondonist soon. Any ideas what it can be. Thanks. GB
Message 205 of 230
latest reply

I just had my second root canal done 2 weeks ago. My first one, done on the lower right side was due to a fractured tooth. Now that tooth broke completely but the dentist told me not to worry about it if it doesn't hurt me, and it's doesn't, but I worry about just leaving it after some of the things I read on here. My second one occurred 2 weeks ago. I saw an original dentist who did an x-ray and said I needed a filling for which an appointment was set up the next Wednesday. Over the weekend I was in terrible pain. I called the dentist office really hoping to get in that Monday, but got a voicemail, so I left a message. When someone called from their office I thought they were calling to get me in, but they were actually calling to try to push my appointment to Friday because the dentist didn't want to do fillings on Wednesday. I explained how much pain I was in, and was told we would leave it for Wednesday. Well, Wednesday morning comes, and I have a message from their office saying the dentist had to leave the office early because she was sick, and I should call back to reschedule the appointment. I didn't. I called another dentist in my health plan and got in that very day. He told me I was in so much pain because my tooth had abcessed, and I would either need a root canal, or to have the tooth pulled. So I had my second root canal, and was told to expect a little pain and tenderness from that tooth for a few days, but it's been 2 weeks today and I am still having what feels like a shooting nerve pain when I drink anything cold. Is this too long, do I need to call the dentist and tell him?
Message 206 of 230
latest reply

Hi, I've had the first part of a root canal and too scared to go back to finish the process. The pain I'm experiencing is beyond durable. Presently I am taking 2x tramadol 50mg (I have a back complaint), 2x Paramol and 2x ibrubrofen 400mg every four hours. I am also half way through a course of antibiotics, amoxicillin. I have a respite for approximately half an hour every 4 hours that I take the tablets. What is going on, why is the pain so tremendous.

Please help with some advice.
Regards
Melanie Brown

Message 207 of 230
latest reply

Yes, you are right. There are many other possibilities that have NOTHING to do with dental hygiene. For example: I cracked my teeth in an accident and a friend of mine just has genetically bad teeth, it's hereditary. I use a sonicare, glide floss, arm and hammer sensitive toothpaste and I gargle. Some people are narrow minded with the little knowledge and life experience they have. My tooth still gives me fits, I need to go back in! Ugh
Message 208 of 230
latest reply

Where r u!!!i need help
Message 209 of 230
latest reply

Did you ever get this figured out? My second root canal was done a year ago and I'm still experiencing shooting pain from anything cold! Went to the endodontist for a second opinion and he suggested retreatment (another root canal on the same tooth) which he said won't guarantee the cold sensitivity will go away. 

Message 210 of 230
latest reply