cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I've been going to a dental school to get cheaper prices on my dental work. The first thing they did was to tell me I needed a root canal and so I let them do it.

That was six months ago and it hurt after they did it. They kept saying the pain would wear off. I think it's also making my sinus blocked up and I have a sinus headache all the time.

Finally they did xrays and the head of endodontry said that the root canal looked beautiful. He tapped on my teeth and I almost went through the ceiling when he tapped lightly on the root canal tooth.

The he tested my teeth for cold and he said that it was the NEXT tooth to the root canal tooth that the gum was sensitive to cold.

He says THAT tooth needs a root canal.

Meanwhile, the original root canal tooth that they did is killing me. I can't chew on that side and even if I put my finger on that tooth it hurts.

I always though that after the nerve had been removed from a tooth you couldn't have pain. This is horrible. Can anyone help? TIA
Message 1 of 230
latest reply
229 REPLIES 229

It's the OP again and still in pain. It's interesting and sad to see that others have been hurt by rotten dental work.

I went to have my root canal tooth pulled by an endodontist at the dental school where they first did it but they recommended that I wait a while longer. This has been almost one year now.

I feel like the previous person who said that that entire side of her mouth would be messed up. I would love to get an implant or two but aren't they REALLY expensive? People are saying $8000/per tooth. I don't have dental insurance.
Can you pay for it in installments?
Message 91 of 230
latest reply

Implants here in New Jersey run around $3000

absurdly expensive imho

I work for two dentists

one of them charges fee's that are ridiculous.
I cringe when I see him penciling the fee in on the chart....

the other one is much more reasonable.

after 25 years I am disgusted with this business.
dentists== some of course not all== are very greedy--and its just not right.
Message 92 of 230
latest reply

*only* $3000? Can it be that much more around the Boston area? Yesterday I was talking to a nurse who said she was having one done and she was getting it done in stages, $2000 this year, $2000 next year and more later probably. Maybe there are dentists in NH, Maine, or even Canada who are cheaper -- it'd be worth the drive.
Message 93 of 230
latest reply

**good_rockin_faith**
Trailblazer
I am going to suggest that you rinse three times a day with hydrogen peroxide mixed in water. A little amount is needed. I would also suggest placing garlic oil in your ear canal. Only a couple drops will do. Make sure it goes all the way down your ear canal.

This sounds funny I know. I have upper dentures now & only a few teeth in the front center of my lower jaw. You have infection where they did the root canal. It will infect the other weaker teeth if any. I have gone months in excruciating pain due to improper Dental work. Your tooth feels weird & full of pain. It also is temperature sensitive. The galic oil in your ear hits the same inner tubes as your teeth use to drain infection. It acts as an anti-fungal/antibiotic & kills the pain plus heals it. The peroxide keeps outer infection & small crannies in your teeth from growin infection. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Live simply that others might simply live. ~ Elizabeth Seaton
Message 94 of 230
latest reply

Hydrogen peroxide works! I asked my dentist about it but she put me on an antibiotic mouthwash instead.

they have told me again to wait, not to have the tooth extrated yet.

For me, it's been like this since October!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm back on antibiotics. They can't see a fracture in the root even after repeated xrays, there is an infection -- but what's causing it?

Did they perforate the sinus or something?
The pain goes right up into the sinuses and blocks up my ears and nose.
Message 95 of 230
latest reply

**good_rockin_faith**
Trailblazer
They could have. It also could be infection backing up. Try the garlic oil pills. Swallow them or get a fresh head of garlic, use three cloves (crushed & sliced)added to a 1/2 cup Olive Oil. Put in your ear like drops about a 1/4 teaspoon & this will really ease your pain if it is blockage or infection. If it doesn't work I imagine they might have perforated something.

I have had severe pain & an ear infection actually caused by an infected tooth. It is no fun at all & lasts or gets even worse if they don't fix the problem! Ouwie!

I will be praying for you!! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 96 of 230
latest reply

Who would have thought that you'd actually get better help on the Health & Beauty Board than from all these doctors?? 😮
Message 97 of 230
latest reply

**good_rockin_faith**
Trailblazer
LOLOLOLOL I had a tooth removed by a Dentist that didn't need to be on a Sunday, then I ended up in the ER for excruciating pain because I had an ear infection from the tooth. I also drink hot lemon water or Lemon green tea to drain the tubes along with the other stuff.

When you wait 6 months to get to am oral surgeon for four back teeth you learn to try other remedies!LOLOL The garlic oil I discovered afterwards though. It has been the best! It kills ear infections, sinus infections, mouth infections for our children & ourselves. Sure beats Cephalexin or Amoxicylan. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 98 of 230
latest reply

xenia433
Enthusiast
I found this discussion forum through Google.
I am absolutely terrified and feel very alone and powerless. I had a root canal and crown on this bottom molar 4 years ago and had no problems until the crown popped off. The dentist said that I'd need a new crown, and before that, I'd need a crown lengthening from a periodontist. That was very traumatic, as he had to shave away some bone. It was a few weeks ago and now that tooth is very painful. The pain is causing my migraines and neck pain to flare up something awful. It radiates into my cheek and jaw bone. I saw my dentist last week, and she tapped it and blew some air on it and I almost jumped out of my skin. She panicked and phoned the periodontist. He said that the tooth looked fine when I went in to have it checked, but he told her to put in a temporary filling and to X-ray it, which she did. She looked at the X-ray and said that she didn't feel comfortable analyzing it and felt "out of her element" in treating the tooth. She said the next time I see the periodontist, I should get him to consult with the endodontist that is in the same building as him. But here it is 2;15 in the morning, and I'm starting a new job on Monday, and the pain is keeping me awake. I don't know what to do! Can anyone help?
Message 99 of 230
latest reply

sounds to me like:

1. possibly the tooth is fractured ---
2. possible endodontic failure.

either way you must go and see the endodontist:

I'm sorry for your pain and fear---

I'll tell you something
I have been a RDH for 26 years and in the last 10 years things are changing tremendously---

Many dentists are now switching to reccomending extractions for troublesome teeth and implants.

there is reasoning behind this:
one of the primary reasons is long term viability of the tooth

in my clinical observation ( remember 26 years worth) many many teeth that are root canaled fracture or decay under their crowns.

long term: implants stay where they are and never decay.
Message 100 of 230
latest reply

They can't see a fracture in the root even after repeated xrays, there is an infection -- but what's causing it?

holy carp:

you can almost NEVER see a fracture on an xray--

where the frick are these dentists coming from???

my boss ( a dds for 40 years) does a test with a wooden bite stick--he finds the fracture every time this way.....
and if its fractured in the root???? that should be very obvious to a dds.

you take a gutta percha point--stick it ( dont worry its paper) into the pocket that is around the tooth--gently push it till it reaches the bottom and then xray it...
it will point to exactly the spot on the tooth where its fractured.
Message 101 of 230
latest reply

when I read these horror stories about these dentists I feel like screaming........

there is so much misinformation out there.

I dont know about garlic oil in the ears--if itworks good.
but long term tooth/gum infection is damaging to your heart and that is something that cannot/should not be ignored.
Message 102 of 230
latest reply

I am truly amazed at some of the comments here. We have people that have neglected their basic dental hygiene and thus requiring root canals or antibiotics for abcessed teeth complaining about what is needed to put matters right.

We have a medical STUDENT complaining about qualified professionals - many of whom echo the first 2 years of med school as well as doing dentistry - and yet 99% of medics know nothing about the teeth. Most medics are unaware how periodontal disease is a factor in heart and pregnancy issues and how lack of teeth and insufficient chewing of food can lead to gastrointestinal problems.

BTW if you do not have a tooth supporting the one on the opposite arch the teeth WILL move and soemtimes the roots are almost horizontal in the jaw as a result. If you don't have molars you can't chew. As a future doctor you'd better bone up on basic matters

The OP is going to one of the finest dental schools to get subsidised treatment. The students do not work unsupervised. If one were to make a mistake the school puts it right. He has been worked on by the people that are teaching the next generation of dentists.

I'm tired of people here complaining about dentists. Do you think they really don't want to fix the problem?. How many people have been to the doctor for say a back problem for the doctor to run a whole series of tests from kidney to spinal matters as the case presents itself as having different causes.

As for cost of treatment do you know it costs $7000 for one xray sensor and a 3 foot cabinet can cost $15,000. It can cost $20,000 for a chair and delivery unit. SO the dentist has to start with a high overhead in term of fixed costs. BTW the dental insurance limit of $1000 has not changed in 25 years. Compare that with the medical field. Imagine if there was the same limit there and you'd be broke trying to pay for a MRI, CT scan etc

OP I don't understand why you are not addressing these issues with the professionals. Why didn't you ask why the tooth with the root canal was so painful and ask for clarification then. If my dog is ill I ask the questions of a vet not an unqualified ebayer. With all due respect to the hygenist not every hygenist has much of a clue about hard tissue.
Message 103 of 230
latest reply

xenia433
Enthusiast
Thanks for you advice and reassurance, coldplayfanno.1. I'm going to call today even though it's Sunday.
And maddykin, I have been scrupulously flossing and brushing daily for at least 30 years so I don't deserve to be accused of neglecting my dental hygiene, although from now on I think I'll floss three times a day. This is just a nightmare, on my nerves and my finances. I'm just starting a job and won't have any health insurance for two months.
Message 104 of 230
latest reply

youngenold
Enthusiast
Maddykin, you don't know the whole truth about Dentistry. You can still chew without molars too. Don't believe everything your told.

You don't accuse people of things because you were "just taught something". Ugh.

Nerve pain is very painful & root canals don't help. Nor do caps. They just set the infection further in.
Message 105 of 230
latest reply