cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Perm

Just got a perm and yes, it's a big change. Does anyone knows how long it takes to relax a bit?
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

New Perm

bstod16
Enthusiast
I just got a perm, the second one in a month. NOt sure what is up with my hair, but it takes everywhere except the middle sides of my hair. Starts curly at the top and then goes mostly straight, but it is just the sides and mostly the top layers.

Anybody have any suggestions why?

Thanks
Beth
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

Well, I wonder if it was the size of the rods that were used? Perhaps she used larger rods in that area and they were too large?

I fell off a bike and struck my head on the pavement (way before folks wore bike helmets when riding their 10 speeds)and got a nasty gash that required to sutures to close. Ever since that time, the hair bordering the scar comes in differently and acts differently when permed.
Message 32 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

nasty gash that required to sutures to close

to=10
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

samjenbran
Enthusiast
I once had a perm that didn't take. I got my money back, but.....I found out a couple of weeks later I was pregnant. The hairdresser said it's not unheard of for perm results to change due to pregnancy.
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

I'm not sure why I"m jumping in here, but I will, LOL. I'm a stylist (12 years) and salon owner.
How LONG you need to wait depends on the PRODUCT that was used on you.
Though most perms are similar, they are not all exactly the same, which is why some are processed at room temp, some under heat, some are self heating (exothermic) some stay on 10 minutes some stay on 30......some are safe for only un-tinted, un-highlighted hair, some are safe for bleached hair...I could go on. So, just because one person was told 24 hours and another was told 3 days, doesn't automatically make one person's stylist somehow incorrect or incompetent.
With the perms I use, my clients are instructed they may get it wet and condition the ends as needed but not to use shampoo or get chlorinated water on it for 48 hours. But that's based on MY line of perms. That doesn't make another stylist incorrect.

I think sometimes hairstylists get this way(worked up over exhibiting knowledge) because to be perfectly blunt, we are often treated like blooming idiots who were too stupid to go to university and therefore 'had' to go to 'beauty college'. This is an inaccurate generalization that is offensive and perpetrated OFTEN.I'm sometimes amazed at the way new clients (who are unaware that I have a college degree in addition to my cosmetology license) will speak to me, as if I am either lacking mental capacity or am somehow a lower life form than they are. (You know, the same way some people speak to a person working for a maid service, or the garbage man, or any other number of service industry jobs that society has deemed belong to persons of lesser intelligence).

Anyway, hairdressers are not by definition lacking intelligence, therefore we sometimes get overly upset when we see another hairdresser doing/saying something we feel demeans our profession further.

Anyway!
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

jody5570
Enthusiast
Ok, got a perm on Saturday...way to curly and friz, oh my gosh!! Washed it as soon as I got home and it didn't help, wish I would have read this before I went to get the perm. I have really straight hair and just wanted some body...got enough body for me and all my friends.

Can I use a Hot Oil treatment for a deep conditioning?

Thanks to anybody that can help me get rid of this poodle-doo!!
Message 36 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

I just got a perm yesterday, and my hairdresser said to wait 2 days (the day i got my perm being the first day) before washing. She said it was okay to rinse before then. But then again, my hair is really thick and chin length, so maybe it's different for longer hair...
Message 37 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

Does anyone have any perm pics to share? I also got perms way back in the day and all it did was give me a frizzy dried out white girl afro.

Are they better now?
Message 38 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

Remember to never brush or comb your hair with a perm, that will cause major frizz.

There are also products out there to control the frizz.

My spiral perm is mostly gone now, and I might not get them anymore because I also use henna on my hair and it has a hard time absorbing the hair because I have too much of it. So I'd rather cover the grays that pop up if I have to choose between the two.
Message 39 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

Hi I just had a spiral perm done yesterday can I just wet my hair with water spray after 24 hours ? 

Or will I have to wait for 3 days to wet it ? 

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

My perm is just a dry stringy mess
Message 41 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

What rods did they use I wanted curls every time its just a wavy stringy mesd
Message 42 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

I've had my hair permed every four months or so for the last 36 years. I have always been told not to wash or condition it for the first 72 hours. It will relax after the first washing, and then gradually a bit more over the following two weeks or so.
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

I need help! I just got a perm today and watch with shampoo and conditioner. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. The curl is still there just looser in some spots. Will my hair still be curly in let's say a weeks time?

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

New Perm

It's 24 to 48 hours.... Trust me. I've been doing hair over 20 years and it's never been 3 days.
Message 45 of 46
latest reply