cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is hydrogenated oil in skin care bad???

hlcrose
Thrill-Seeker
I know hydrogenated oil is bad for our health, it's good to see that lots of food companies stopped using it.

What about in skin care?? Some cosmetic companies still use it, if it's used topically, does it do damage to our skin/health in the long run?

Thank you
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

laerley
Thrill-Seeker
My guess would be : you may be the very first person to have asked/considered that question (seriously).
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Skin cannot absorb oils like that, so I doubt that it is harmful for you. Was there a particular type of oil you were considering putting onto your skin?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

As a wellness consultant, I would not recommend using personal care products containing hydrogenated oil. Our skin is the largest bodily organ. Like the rest of our organs, the skin absorbs every substance that comes in contact with it. Sadly, I had a hair conditioner which contained it (purchased from a "health" company) - that went into the trash when I discovered it on the label.

Hydrogenated oil is a trans-fat. Trans-fatty acids hinder the everyday functioning of our bodies causing a multitude of chronic diseases including heart disease, cancer and many more. Trans-fats cause an estimated 30,000 premature deaths annually. According to Consumer Affairs, nearly 13 million Americans suffer from coronary heart disease, and more than 500,000 die each year from causes related to coronary heart disease.

Although many of the food companies stopped using trans-fats and the govt requires it to be listed on a product's nutritional info panel - READ THE LABEL AND DON'T BE FOOLED. There is a huge, dangerous (to the consumer) loophole in favor of the manufacturers and their profits: They are only required to list the content when their products contain more than trace amounts (0.5 gram) of trans fat per serving. So they can legally say ZERO trans-fat even though the product contains trans-fats (so much for the labeling). A bunch of hogwash to protect profits at our expense, same govt doubletalk. Words to the wise - forget the nutritional info panel; if hydrogenated, including partially, is listed in the ingredients run from that product like your life depended upon it.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I believe that they are good for your skin if applied topically. First, though,I want to explain a few things and also, I should mention that I'm in the process of researching the chemical and molecular efficacy aspects of why I believe so. It is an absolute farce that every oil is impermeable by the skin. Cocoa butter, Shea butter are two examples off the top of my head that are plant based fats/oils and are in a wide variety of topical skin care products (as well as foods) that can and are absorbed through the skin, mostly because they are comprised of relatively smaller fat molecules than say, olive oil. Olive oil is an oil that can NOT be absorbed by the skin. Why? Because molecularly, it is far too large of a molecule to be absorbed by skin. Olive oil products, when applied, may seem to moisturize, but that is because the oil just sits there in a thin sheen upon the epidermis. My interest in this topic began when am extremely well reputed cosmetic surgeon shared a story with me about his female patients requesting pricey prescription topical lotions for anti aging effects. He said "I tell them all that if you truly want a wonderful moisturizer, use crisco, but they never want to hear that,". Throughout the years, i've used it all and I can honestly tell you that I've got shortening on my face as I write this and have beem very pleased with it's resulta. I suspect that this is because the hydrogenation porcess makes the fatty molecules small enough to be permeable by the skin, and that's what I was in the process of checking out when I stubled across this, so I'd probably be more likely to buy a product if it contained these fats. If it has olive oil in it, however, i throw it in the trash.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hi,

As the cosmetic companies still using the hydrogenenated oil in skin care products its better to use natural skin care products so as to  keep our skin clean and fresh. While searching about the natural skin care products I got to know about the comvita products. These have natural ingredients such as the olive leaf extract,royal jelly, etc. These olive leaves and jelly  have wide range of benefits so suitable for the whole family.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sure it can.  Otherwise you wouldn't have to re-apply.  I put cream on my arms each day, but i don't need to shower each day.  Still need the cream.  Used to use Jergens Soothing Aloe until i read the label.  Your body is a kidney on the Universe and removes all kinds of toxins from it.  Very short sighted to think your bodys not absorbing oils through your skin.  What would be the purpose of puting Vitamin E oil on a scar if the oil wasn't absorbed?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Using facial skin care products that contain hydrogenated oils will easily congest the skin even when used for a short period of time.

Think of using margarine on your skin and you will have the picture - this stuff clogs pores and packs into skin - the results of using it vary from breaking out, drying out and skin losing its natural glow and clear look.

Hydrogenated oils are just one of the many highly congesting substances that are typically used in just about every expensive and budget priced skin care range.

The oils are hydrogenated to begin with because they last better and also because they are used to thicken products.

There are many types of hydrogenated oils, for example most of what is called coconut oil in skin care products is usually the awful stuff that is hydrogenated coconut oil. This is definitely used as a filler in many, many skin care products.

Then there's olive oil in skin care, that's mostly the tampered with version - it's called unsaponifiable, or olive butter etc.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

This is in skin care, he is not asking if he can eat it. The very most a hydrogenated oil can penetrate is into the stratum corneum or the "horny layer" of our skin which is comprised of layers of dead skin cells anyways. Laerley, the only worry you should have about hydrogenated vegetable oils on your skin is if you want to keep this dead layer of skin which often makes our skin look dull, ashy and prevents helpful skin ingredients from getting to our living skin. This advice to avoid everything that is not absolutely virgin in it's form has gotten beyond ridiculous. If everything we slapped on our skin penetrated it as easily as some would have you believe, and everything touching the skin could cause such harm, the human race would have been extinct millenia ago when everything was being explored and considered potential food. Back to the question, it's fine. It helps moisten this horny layer so it's easier to penetrate with other ingredients and moistening it also helps us to shed it. It also serves as a barrier to help our skin retain it's own moisture. Bottom line. It's fine. Just don't want eat it.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Essential oils can absolutely penetrate the skin and many oils can penetrate the skin also, but only to the stratum corneum which is dead skin cells. Essential oils on the other hand are absorbed through the skin and can show up in blood tests. This is because their molecular structure is extremely tiny.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I read a study that states it only penetrates the stratum corneum and that's it. I would suspect Crisco works so wrll as a moisturizer is because 1) it helps loosen the dead cells, and 2) it is occlusive, so it precents moisture in the skin from being lost. Moisture from the skin being lost is the biggest reason for dehydrated skin.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

if you look at any moisturizer, the number one ingredient is water, perhaps then followed by glycerin or aloe and then you get the more emmolient things like emulsifiers, oils, followed by various terms to hide the fact there are alcohols, then scent and finally preservatives. Everything besides the emulsifiers and oils, maybe silicones, are either water or alcohol based. Alcohol evaporates extremely quickly and water-based products evaporates a little after. All that's left then is a bit of oil, silicones, and emulsifiers (fatty alcohols). When you rub this into your skin, the oily part has lots and lots of "horny layer" to work into. It is a layer of sheets and sheets of dead skin cells and can take on a lot of moisture but I doubt any of it actually gets penetrated into the living skin. If it was that easy for things to penetrate our horny layer and access our living skin, we would be walking around in a dangerous world. We handle a lot of things that could make us very sick if it entered our body. This is why it has taken decades to perfect the subdermal method of delivering medication. If everything could just penetrate our skin, any doctor could order a compounding pharmacist to make a say, fentanyl cream and it would penetrate the skin for those with chronic pain. But it doesn't work that way, thank goodness or pharmacists would be at risk making extremely potent opiate creams all day long and risk their lives if they so much as smudged it in their skin. Also, if it was so easily for anything to penetrate to the living skin, why not just stick your hand in a strong alcoholic drink and get intoxicated that way? Because it doesn't work that way. What you are experiencing is simple surface hydration and nothing more.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Trans fat are not bad for you if you eat it, it’s the amount you eat. Also not all hydrogenated oils for cosmetics  are trans fat. Non GMO Sunflower Oil
Hydrogenated* Vegetable Oil (*No trans isomers = Free of trans fats).  

Google is a bad way to educate yourself with. A all natural companies will do its best to discredit just as much as the pharmaceutical companies.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply