cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED HELP! MY LEGS ITCH SO BAD I SCRATCH MY SKIN OFF IN SPOTS!

Enthusiast

Hi! My problem is after I shave, when the hair starts growing back out (usually starts the next day), my legs itch so bad, I end up scratching my skin off in spots. Alot of times, I will actually scratch them in my sleep, I'll wake up and have a huge red bloody spot where I have scratched my skin off. I have tried all sorts of lotions, including my boyfriends hydrocortisone lotion that he uses for ecsema. Does anyone out there know of anything I could do or try to help this? Remember, it's not from shaving that makes me itch, it's when the hair starts to grow out. Thanks for any help you can give!
29 REPLIES
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
I use a product made my OLAY. It is a skin conditioner that you use in the bath AFTER you wash. You just put it all over your body and then rinse off.

It makes your skin soooooo soft. I just love. You can buy it at Wally World~!! Smiley Wink Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
Crush up some aspirin and put in aloe vera and use after shaving?

Scrub your legs with a loufa like thing or a wash cloth the day after.

You can't polish a drut!
Return to THE SOAPBOX main page
Blame it on Hal....
Enthusiast

Re: I NEED HELP! MY LEGS ITCH SO BAD I SCRATCH MY SKIN OFF IN SPOTS!

in reply to
Uuuuuggh! I have super itchy sensitive leg skin too!!! I use Aveeno Skin Releif with oatmeal lotion everyday especially after shaving. They also make shaving cream, body wash, and bath soaking stuff. It's all wonderful!!! I would just DIE without it!

Good luck!
Angi
Trailblazer

in reply to
I use the Gold Bond lotion on my legs, it is SO nice and soothing on them.

To prove their mousy worth, they'll overthrow the earth

"I answer thee thrice and done. Bite. Me." Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files
Adventurer

in reply to
I use the Aveeno Skin Relief too, and it really works. Smiley Happy

Enthusiast

in reply to
Thank you all for your help. Trust me, I will try anything and everything I can!
Enthusiast

in reply to
Consider pulverizing oatmeal as much as possible in your food processor, and using the oatmeal as a gentle scrub on your legs daily, instead of soap. It can also be used in a bath for soothing. Exfoliate with it daily, not just when you have a prolem.

Avoid soap, especially grocery store brands, on your legs.

Have you considered learning to make your own lotions? It's a simple process, and because you have sensitive skin, it might be a good idea so you can control what you use, and eliminate ingredients that don't work for you. You'll also have a much better understanding of what is sold on drugstore shelves, and be able to identify products you should steer clear from.

Your local library should have a copy of "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" which is a fantastic reference. The author gives an unbiased look at thousands of products, their composition, and tells you what will and won't work.

With sensitive skin, the answer may come in a book, not a bottle. Good luck!
Enthusiast

in reply to
I had a similar problem - I would scratch at night in my sleep until my legs bled. The only solution I have found is Perlier bath cream to use while shaving, and then Perlier body cream afterwards. I usually use the cream twice a day. It has worked wonders for me. Good luck!
Enthusiast

in reply to
Try epilating or waxing instead of shaving. No regrowth for at least 3 weeks, which is 3 weeks you don't have to worry about it.
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
I used dig myself in my sleep. The top of my feet and the back of my hands. I have not had this problem in a while though.

I always take moisturizing baths. Shea butter is wonderful for this. I also have a heavy duty lotion with shea butter and hemp oil in it that I use daily. Since I started doing this, I have no problems at all with the itching. Oatmeal soaks are nice also. I think Moisturizing is the key. Find something you know works well and use it every day as long as you know your itching isn't caused by an allergy.

Enthusiast

in reply to
Could be a problem with the type of razor you are using. Some times issues with razors result in those kinds of skin problems. Something about the angle the at which the razor cuts the hair? I had similar things happen with cheaper razors (is there nickel in the blade? I am allergic to that.) Also, I reacted to some of those "Lotion strips" on top of the razor head, designed to soothe skin--I was allergic to something there. You might try an electric razor or shaving cream. IMO, I'd go to the dermatologist for this problem. It could be an allergy.

(OR, if you are shaving in "private" areas, that hair is usually coarser than leg hair and has been known to itch terribly. There have been a few threads on this or other boards (clothing boards?) that dealt with that issue if you did a search...)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rising Star

in reply to
All right. I have a similar problem. Before I started high school, I had gorgeous looking legs after I shaved. Life during high school became very hectic so I did not have as much time to shave or take care of my legs in general. Now my legs are so messed up and it has been several years. I have so many ingrown hairs. Some are really deep. I get all of these red dots, not necessarily bumps, usually after I shave. My legs will stay like that for a while and the hair grows back faster than it previously did. I have tried exfoliating and keeping my skin moisturized. I still shave the same way and use the same type of razors and shave gel as before. I know it is not caused by shaving. What can I do to get rid of the ugliness?
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
Hi Deb!! Listen, I feel for you, because I have just come off of a couple of years of being a human inferno. I do not take hormones, and have been miserable...up until this year. I found something that really triggers my hot flashes; chocolate. I can not believe the difference it has made, to cut chocolate out of my life. If I eat a couple of candy bars with chocolate, I can bank on bad hot flashes to arrive momentarily. Without chocolate, my hot flashes have all but disappeared. Coincidence? I don't know. I just know that when I indulge in sweets,..particularly chocolate, I can count on a few searing complete body hot flashes. Oddly, I have never read of any correlation between chocolate and hot flashes. Something else that will trigger a hot flash for me, is an anxious though or anxiety. I have never suffered the infamous "night sweats", because I make the bedroom like an ice box, and keep my ceiling fan going at night. Consider getting something called a "Chillow". It is awesome! I put mine in the refridgerator for about an hour each eveing, before I go to bed.
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
http://search.ebay.com/chillow_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
Oops.....I posted to the wrong thread!! Sorry!!!
Enthusiast

in reply to
Baby Oil.

Trailblazer

in reply to
I stayed at a hotel once and forgot my shave gel (this was about 10 years ago). Anyway, I went to the desk and asked for shave gel and all they had was little plastic pocket things filled with a thick oil that they said was used for shaving. I think it may have been used for mens beards but Im not certain. ANYWAY, I put it on my legs and it almost felt like a thick babyoil and It really didnt feel like much after I slathered it on as it sunk into my skin. I didnt think it was going to work as a shave oil/gel but it was the BEST CLOSEST SHAVE I EVER HAD!! WITH NO NICKS EVEN WITH A CHEAPY RAZOR. I WISH I COULD REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED???? DOES THIS SOUND FAMILAR TO ANYONE ??? IT LOOKS LIKE A THICK OIL AND I HAVENT SEEN IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN YEARS....
Enthusiast

in reply to
Maybe you should use Nair instead of shaving. Also, for your boyfriend's exzcema. Tell him to try unrefined shea butter it works wonders.
Pathfinder

in reply to
Rub a real freshly cut lemon all over the itch. Its with stig at first but it will disenfect , sooth and heal. Remember scratching only makes it worse since findgernails are full of bacteria etc.. Lemon will work!