eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
midnight*raven
Community Member

Help! My bad fake tan, how to get rid of it

I posted about this on another thread but I need help fast, if possible. I used a self tanner on my legs and they look horrible. I am going to be outside all weekend and planned to wear shorts. I sat in the tub yesterday with a loofah, 3 soaps and pumice. I'm about ready to try household bleach! Nothing is helping. Is there a way to at least lighten this nightmare within the next day or two? I want to cry. my feet look like I step in dog....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Help! My bad fake tan, how to get rid of it

in reply to midnight*raven
Oh no! you poor thing! I'm sure we all feel your pain!

I was going to suggest the loofah thing. Did you shave your legs too? That always helps me. I don't know about trying straight up household bleach but maybe try hydrogen peroxide. If it can bleach your teeth--why not? It's worth a try! Maybe try some of those little Stridex pads or something. They are pretty heavy duty. Just don't scrub them raw or they'll look worse!

Other than that, maybe try some of that Glow lotion that we read about on the other thread to help even it out a little. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

what about Nair ? I understand it takes off a layer or two. But don't leave it on for excessive time - it might burn you. then you have a double problem!
Please use plain text.
midnight*raven
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I was joking about the bleach but to be honest, I'd try a small spot anyway lol. I haven't shaved my legs. I had planned on doing that tonight anyway. I'll try a comination of things and let you know if anything helps. How long do those tans normally last anyway? The bottle didn't say.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ohhhh deja vu!!! I did the same thing only it was my hands & arms, I did it the night b/4 work, and I'm a dental ass't~~yeah, I was self-conscious bigtime! One of the gals at work suggested bleach, so I scrubbed some over the really dark spots & it DID lighten. Of course, you smell wonderful for quite awhile, plus it kinda burns, : ( but....the orangey-brown splotches were gone. Good luck~~I feel for ya!!!

If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Don't know if it would work or not, but how about Dawn dish soap. If you get youir hair dyed, and it is too dark, Dawn will lessen it up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
midnight*raven
Community Member

Someone found a web page that said to try mineral oil. I'll try that next lol.

I did shave multiple times tonight and used the loofah again. I think that helped because I don't see the really dark spots anymore. They are somewhat faded. My right leg is sore from the abuse but well worth it lol.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

try rubbing alcohol, it takes off fake tattoos.

if you don't have any, try witch hazel, which is mostly rubbing alcohol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

St Tropez makes a self-tanner remover. It is sold in Bath and Body works stores. You can google it for more info. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I used nail polish remover to "fix" my tan. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Please use plain text.
aspar
Community Member

As someone who has this problem often (unless I use Mystic Tan which always comes out perfect), I definitely recommend the self tanner remover suggested above. It always works.

If you don't have access to that, hair bleach, the kind for arms, face, whatever, will take the tan off. Nail polish remover will also take off the tan, but I wouldn't use too much of it. Good luck!

________________________________La chica con la mayoría de los niños.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I've heard white vinegar works. Wipe it on, leave it on for a few minutes, and wash it off. Good luck! Let us know what works!
Please use plain text.
midnight*raven
Community Member

Most of it is gone now (thank goodness!) I think what worked the best was mineral oil soak/shaving combo. I'm afraid to ever try that again lol.

Please use plain text.
jetscreameryouareadreamer
Community Member

I've had good and bad results from self tanners.
I started too early this year. After I thought the stuff was dry, I'd put on long pants and go about my business. I couldn't figure out why I was so streaky. Now that it is warm, I realize that the long pants were really smearing the tanner, or something.
So, don't put pants on the day you use your self tanner!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I've only had one bad incident with self tanner. Thank god. But I have noticed that swimming in a pool always removes my self tanner. Probably has something to do with the chlorine and bleach. So I usually avoid the pool when nicely "sprayed". I guess this is a good removal way though...

Thanks calicos_creations!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

morning of my best friends wedding and im wearing gorgeous expensive peep toe shoes and my feet are orange. i read this board then set out to soak my feet in the bath grabbed an old tooth brush and some nail varnish remover and scrubbed and just like magic i now have slightly less tanned feet than everywhere else but alot better than orange!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm probably late with this reply but just seen the thread. I remember posting somewhere about using Nair to remove the fake tan -orange color, I have no idea where that post is!lol

It was by accident I found this out. I used a self tanner and it looked fine then later used Nair on my legs it came off really easy. I was kind of bummed because I liked the color the self tanner gave me. Nair does work quick to remove cream/lotion self tanners. I went from a nice glow back to ghost white in a matter of minutes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

OK yep I just looked at the dates on this thread and I'm REALLY late! Sorry 'bout that.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

If you have a Darque Tan near you I would suggest going there and doing their Mystic Tan. Maybe it will cover up the mess...or what you have left of it.

It's $14 and takes about 3 mins total.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

i know it sounds wierd but try using mouth wash it reaky does work trust me lol
Please use plain text.