eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Has anyone ever had a tooth that was heat sensitive but recovered?

in reply to a*painted*lady
The cheap athletic mouth guard presses too far back on my tongue and can cause me to gag. I cut the back part off with scissors, though it took several tries so that there wasn't a sharp part against my tongue.

The guard from my dentist is better in that it covers all my top teeth so the force is more evenly distributed. My dentist says the hardness discourages grinding too.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Yes with an upper and lower molar. The sinus infection pushes down the upper tooth which was already too low. (My dentist tells me to come in to grind down when I don't have an infection, but I forget when it gets better.) Then I hadn't been wearing my night guard so the grinding was really irritating the teeth with pressure. They are sensitive to hot and cold and sugar right now.

You can even recover from a _minor_ abcess next to a tooth (tooth has moved a little but nothing noticable on gum). But if the pocket left behind is too big it will happen again. And there is real danger of bone recession and you could lose an adjacent tooth too.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to antelopone

The Sensodyne Pro-Namel toothpaste used to desensitize teeth lists 5% Potassium Nitrate as the active ingredient for antihypersensitivity and also 0.15 sodium fluoride for anticavity. -- J.E. Ante

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to meowcatt

Ebay sells many tooth desensitivy products.  They mention that dental whitening often makes the teeth sensitive as it opens up small micro tubules in the teeth.  So millions of people who whiten their teeth may develop this tooth sensitivity.  -- J.E. Ante

Please use plain text.
meowcatt
Community Member

in reply to misspuppydog

Dental Fistula is a lump on your gum it is serious . I have two dentist one who did the root canal extration he kept telling me the fistula was a post surgery trauma,I'm so glad I did NOT listen to him.  I went to another dentist that said it was indeed a infection it fistula was pulling the infection away from the source. I happen to have an appointment with my medical doctor the same day he looked at the lump on my gum and said this is very serious you have a big infection in your mouth this can cause a brain infection . He had me do an IV antibiotic while I was in his office. And he also wanted me to be on clindamycin for 6 weeks I was way to smart for that I read about the serios side effects of clindamycin  can hospitalize you  I quickly called my Naturopathic he is also a homepathic doctor too and told him my story and he told me he had  the equivalent of a  strong antibiotic but it was natural plant antimicrobials. I was happy to take something without all the horrible life threatening side effects of clindamycin, Anyhow my MD  receptionist called the oral surgeon and within two hours and half hours . I had oral surgery the doctor she was amazing she clean out the entire infected site and sent the stuff she removed to pathology at the university. It was an infection with some stuff the dentist had forgotten in there DO NOT MESS AROUND with lump or bump ON YOUR GUMS IT IS may be AN INFECTION

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bobbyvegas1018

Heat sensitivity means that the pulp tissue is completely inflamed to the point that the nerves in the center of the tooth are super sensitive to something they normally do not feel- heat.  Once this symptom occurs an abscess will follow.  The tooth may begin to feel better once the nerve tissue totally dies but the next step is infection from the bacteria in your mouth.  How quickly this occurs varies from case to case but it will happen.  The absence of symptoms means nothing because the low grade infection may not hurt but your body will begin to dissolve the bone around the tooth.  The more this progresses the harder it is to save the tooth.  It can be done but the success rate falls the more bone is lost around the tooth.  It is always better to treat a tooth before it abscesses.  Always remember that the absence of symptoms or the lack of intensity of symptoms may be meaningless.  Bad things can still he happening.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to summertimedreams

NEVER ONCE have i had a dentist or an ENT NOT do a root canal.. every time i have ever had a sinus infection they have performed a root canal.. I now have had 17 root canals, (3 are second root canals on the same teeth) and they have taken all that money from me and still can't find a dentist that i trust.. NOT ONE TIME when my teeth were heat or cold sensitive did they send me home with an antibiotic.. so sick of dentists.. if you know one that is reputable in the Dallas area, please contact me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have been through this before, and while there are probably many reasons that could have caused the tooth or teeth to be sensitive there is something that works very well to greatly reduce or stop the pain all together.  

Sensitivity is caused in most cases because the holes in your teeth become exposed these holes (called Tubules) are filled with fluid and when the fluid shifts it affects the nerve and causes a twinge of pain or sensitivity.  

My dentist told me to use a product that I could buy online and it would help,  and it is way faster and more effective than toothpaste.

I found it at www.stop-sensitivity.com,  It was a life savor for me.   

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I might just ad that the one tooth it seems should always have more sensitivity until a cap or crown is on it, because it has less insulation over it. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I hope my reply moves this old thread 'in front' somewhere.... 

This a a very fundamental question that was not answered in the thread, or anywhere else on the internet that I have found.  

I have read that tooth nerves don't recover 'as well' from infection as other nerves.  This was posted on a pro-root canal Dentist's page.  

If the nerve is not dead (obvious as it reacts to the heat), and you clear up the infection and it's source - it just seems common sense to leave it be if possible.  I had a cavity under a filling and suddenly lost half the tooth.  Now the source of infection is removed. 

I have heat sensitivity to the one tooth, am on antibiotics.  My tooth is 'telling me', "just give me a chance to get better." I am looking at an "indirect pulpal cap" (essentially fills the tooth leaving the root.)

IS IT WISHFUL THINKING THAT THE ROOT CAN BE COVERED UP AND GET BETTER?  MUST I WAIT TILL HEAT SENSITIVITY IS GONE?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Has anyone ever had a tooth that was heat sensitive but recovered?

I had a very sensitive tooth. Dentist said I would probably need a root canal, but also said maybe it was due to teeth grinding. I started wearing a night guard, and the pain stopped entirely, and very quickly.

At first I used a cheap football mouthpiece (the drop in boiling water kind). My mouth must be small (wouldn't some people I know laugh to hear me say THAT!), because the regular sized ones were just too big. However, the "youth" sized ones were just perfect for me. I used one of these until I got a custom made hard one from my dentist. The ones that cost $20 and are sold in the dental asile of the drug store are generally no better than the one they sell for $1 in the sporting goods section at Walmart, so you might want to start with the $1 one.

The cheap one will do for a short period, but if this does seem to be your problem, I suggest getting the custom made hard one from your dentist. The hard one really does work differently. It is worth trying the cheap one first, because some people just can't tolerate sleeping with something in their mouth. So try the cheap one and see if it bugs you too much. Personally, neither one bothered me at all.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I can endorse what others have said about teeth grinding and the feeling that it is one tooth that is hurting. The more you worry about the tooth the more you grind and the tooth hurts more and more. I am actually a tooth clencher - rather than a grinder. I wear a tooth splint at night and it has cured the problem. I also realised I clenched my teeth during the day and made a real effort to stop that. I know of a tooth grinder who had a lot of root canals before her problem was discovered. Also feel your jaw muscles along the side of your face - do they feel tight and a bit tender? Those are signs of being a tooth grinder.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I had just heard somewhere that in a few situations, you can be heat sensitive for reasons other than root canal work being needed and hoped that someone else had this happen to them.

hmmmmm-this is a tricky one.
The fact that the tooth reacts violently to stimuli is NOT a good sign---Yes, the antibiotics will buy you time.
You can probably rule out a sinus infection as not single teeth are affected but usually multiple ones with a sinus problem-and the ache is usually dull and difuse-not violent.

it is possible you are grinding--hence the lower jaw pain--grinding causes more problems than you would imagine.

My advice? Finish the antibiotics--and just see what happens. It is possible that the grinding can cause severe pain in one tooth. I would do a wait and see thing.

QUESTION AUTHORITY

Be Careful
What You Wish For
One Day They'll Be Callin' You a RockStar
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Stacy:

do not be afraid --that lump is called a "fistula" and it is the reason you don't have any pain. Its like a little drainage hole for the infection.

that said --you do still have to get it taken care of!

QUESTION AUTHORITY

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Please use plain text.
Community Member

ok folks--step right up here: Your local expert
on ALL matters tooth related is here!!

my credentials: RDH for 25 years.
The DDS I work for ( love him ) has been a dentist for almost 40 years.

between us--well, we know our stuff.
forgive the back patting--its one of the few things in life I have answers for.

QUESTION AUTHORITY

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I just came back to check on you and I saw your message to me. I am now very afraid. I will call the dentist immediately and make an appointment to taken care of it. I did know something was wron,g but I did not feel like dealing with it. Too much going on right now but since you all seem to think I should get it examined right away I will!!

Thank you for your concern. I will keep you posted!

Stacy
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am back again. Stacy, PLEASE do to the dentist. The reason your tooth is not hurting is that the nerve has died completely and that lump IS an abcess. Those, as someone else said, can flare up suddenly and you are stuck finding a dentist in just hours.

My situation is one where my dentist could not be sure that the problem was the tooth or the sinus because the x-ray had "things going on" right on the border. And, I never noticed any sensitivity to heat until something was placed right on it. It will react violently and then calm down.

I already knew that outright heat sensitivity was a sure sign of a root canal. I was just hoping that antibiotics could make a difference in buying me more time (I do not have that lump on my gums or any outward sign of infection).

Even the x-ray was minimal for anything looking off. I want to have the root canal and crown done and save the tooth but need to buy time until early Spring because of the funds. I may look into that fund/program mentioned above.

Today, I feel better although my jaw still has areas of discomfort. It appears to be getting better as time goes on.

I had just heard somewhere that in a few situations, you can be heat sensitive for reasons other than root canal work being needed and hoped that someone else had this happen to them.

Stacy, thanks for your response and reassurance but now I am worried about YOU.

And thank you to everyone else who responded.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Also, be sure it is you teeth that are the problem. Jaw pain is one of the cardinal signs of a heart attack, and women can go up to a month with weird symptoms (some neverhave chest pain.) before it makes itself known. Extreme tiredness is also a major sign in women. Just want you to be on the safe side.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Stacy,
try to get that taken care of asap. That lump is an abscess that is there and it can get REALLY painful all of a sudden. This happened to my husband and he was miserable. This will NOT go away on it's own and will likely get worse.... *************************************************************
Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution.
Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.
~Thomas A. Edison
"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is
from injury to animals."
--Albert Einstein
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that about a two months ago I started having a problem with my lower back molar. It hurt a little bit and was sensitive to anything hot. I went to the dentist and he did an exray and said I need to have a root canal performed but he does not perform root canals on molars so I would have to be referred out. Well, life got busy, and I was also afraid to go, so I kept canceling and rescheduling. Right now it does not hurt at all but there is a lump forming on my gum so I know I must get it done eventually.

Not sure if this helps you or not but I just wanted to let you know that I have procrastinated and I am still fine. Although it may become one of the biggest mistakes I have every made. (HA HA) We will see!

Stacy
Please use plain text.