cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair color without peroxide or ammonia

I think there are some hair stylists on this board. I am looking for a hair color that does not contain peroxide or ammonia. My BF is allergic to both. The Clairol product "Beautiful" gives nice color but only holds for one or two shampoos on his 100% silver hair. Is there a natural product that holds better, without pink or yellow tones?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

I have heard that you can use henna on silver hair. You'd have to google it for the exact method, but I think you use one color of henna as filler and then add another layer in another color.
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Clairol Natural Instincts. Terrific stuff! I have been using it for years & years. I am naturally a very dark brunette except now I am gray/silver from my hairline in the front (sides & top) and CNI keeps my hair a very natural-looking dark brunette,

It provides great coverage, especially for gray hair, is easy to apply, and looks great (for me) for about 7 weeks. Since it's a shampoo-in, shampoo-out non-permanent type there are no strong, stinky chemicals. Your hair never gets damaged. As you shampoo your hair you always wash a teeny bit of it out so the transition back to you own color is very gradual.

I have exceptionally hard-to-cover gray and I have to leave it in for at least 40 minutes altho' the instructions say 10 or 20 minutes (I can't remember which). My hair looks shiny & healthy while it's colored.

One tip: I do use one of those disposable clear plastic shower caps on my hair while the coloring goop is doing its thing. This keeps in body heat from the head, which helps to activate the color, and also keeps any drips from escaping.

I always buy my CNI on sale, for around $3-$5 (mfr's coupon plus store sales). It runs around $9-10 full price.

Try it, I think you will be very pleased.
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

clairol is fabulous! I use L'Oreal but am unsure if it has ammonia in it or peroxide. I am a light blonde as is and the color I use is like Jessica Simpson blonde so it is quite light.
~* Kari *~
Message 4 of 42
latest reply

oohfredsslacks
Enthusiast
I'm a hairstylist! Anything that lightens your natural haircolor in any way contains peroxide and ammonia. Also a true semi-permanent color will never lighten. If the product you are using has two liquids that you mix together, usually one white and one in the color you chose, the white or clear one is the actual peroxide. You should be okay with anything that is just one substance that you don't have to mix with anything and goes directly on the hair.

Grey coverage is difficult without peroxide, you may not be able to get long lasting true grey coverage with anything you can purchase without a license. The fact that it does not contain the peroxide or the ammonia actually makes it a semi-permanent color because it can't penetrate the hair, it just kind of lays on top, and that's why it washes out.

Hope that helps!
Message 5 of 42
latest reply

I want to add my praise for Clairol Natural Instincts. I've been using it to cover the grays for years now-#22 Cinnaberry. It gives my mousy brown hair a really pretty auburn color. It also adds a gorgeous shine that even the girl who cuts my hair comments on. I wash my hair every day, so I have to do mine about every 4 weeks, but it's easy and cheap so I don't mind
Message 6 of 42
latest reply

susiedq8q2c
Thrill-Seeker
I use Natural Instincts LOVING CARE - no peroxide, no amonia and I also do NOT use the creme rinse, since I think I may have an allergy to that, too. (lanolin)

Washes out in 6 - 12 shampoos, My hair is real short so I just wet it down most days. I still can see it in the water and even on my pillow case at first.

It does not penetrate the hair shaft, but just colors it on the outside. Not getting welts on my head is well worth the inconveneince of having to do this more often. I, too, leave it on 30 minutes and use the cap.
Message 7 of 42
latest reply

raymondblue62
Enthusiast
I think there are some hair stylists on this board. I am looking for a hair color that does not contain peroxide or ammonia. My BF is allergic to both. The Clairol product "Beautiful" gives nice color but only holds for one or two shampoos on his 100% silver hair. Is there a natural product that holds better, without pink or yellow tones?
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

raymondblue62
Enthusiast
where do a person buy this product, Walgreen and CVS are not carrying it any longer??
Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Is natural instincts no peroxide, no ammonia? The last I looked it was not without both..If it is, let me know and I will rush out and buy it. Allergic to hair dye and dont want to go "grey" so I would love that.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

I am severly allergic to ammonia and peroxide. I have been to the emergency room many times with a face that looks like the elephant man from severe allergic reaction to bigen, henna, etc. The only hair product that I have not had an allergic reaction to

is the CELLOPHANES by Sebastian. If you have dark hair like me, get the red brunette. It will give gray hair a highlight effect. Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Hello, what do you use now that Clariol has discontinued the natural instincts loving care

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Jazzing is great! No peroxide or ammonia. If you use it with a hair dryer it lasts for weeks. I got an inexpensive cap dryer from walmart.com. My daughter uses Jazzing too. It's availiable at Sally's and online Beauty Supply shops. It doesn't damage our hair and we don't have to color often.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Clairol Natural Instincts has destroyed my hair, for it is an extremely harsh semi-permanent temporary hair color.

CNI should never be used on Natural Fine Hair.

However, the Beautiful Collection is more natural and easy on the hair, but residual red dye color is absorbed by one's scalp and difficult to remove.  Beautiful Collection needs Better Colors and formulas, plus, chemicals adjusted to relieve a user of 'red scalp.'

No Amonia or Peroxide, which is a great asset.

Clairol can do much better.  Clairol should have never stopped making 'Loving Care.'   What happened?  

Some executive didn't know what he was doing...for sure!

Jazzing.....is for the theater and costume parties...imo...nothing natural there!

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

I have a phobia of peroxide dont no where it c9me from irational i no was useing it for years without a problem
Message 15 of 42
latest reply