eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

I saw the post on discontinued hair products. Why do they discontinue something that works. We have used Vel bar soap for years and now they don't make it. Anyone know any kind similar. It's good for hard water and just makes your skin feel good. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
I have one that I miss. Remember SAFEGUARD soap? The ORIGINAL fragrance was really nice, then they changed it. Was that in the 70's? Time flies, and I can't remember... I wish I could find an original Safeguard soap!

Happy Hall-O-Weiners!

Please use plain text.
puppy*kisses
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
I haven't used Safeguard in years so I didn't know the fragrance had changed. I remember my parents buying it during the 70's. It smelled good and I remember how well it lathered too.

I'm a big fan of Dove (the white or pink bar) so if they ever quit making it or change the scent, I'll be very upset!! And it's not just the scent...it leaves my skin soft and we have hard water.

and while it's not bar soap, I love the scent of Prell shampoo. Used that during the 70's also and it came in a tube (concentrate). I buy it now in the bottle and use it as body wash because I absolutely love the scent. I can't use it to shampoo my hair because it would probably strip the color, but it makes a good body wash. I mostly use it during the summer because it's not very moisturizing for winter dry skin. If Prell is ever discontinued, I'll have to keep a bottle on hand just for sniffing. LOL

If you are looking for a new soap, I would recommend Dove. Like I said...I like the pink or white bar, but don't care much for the other scents.

A puppy will melt the coldest of hearts.

A puppy will melt the coldest of hearts.
Please use plain text.
lynngehringer
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
We have a lot of allergies but have used Safeguard for years and I do not remember any change in scent. I really do not care for it but it does the job.

The one I used to love was Lifebuoy with Mint. They got rid of the mint; I got rid of their soap. You can still buy Vel soap at $$ stores and online. Just Google it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
"Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me".
Matthew 25:40
 photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
I have vel soap 4 sale
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
We have hard well water, and the only bar soap we can use is Dove. But even that leaves some scum, so mostly we use shower gels/body washes with a bath pouf.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
My mom still uses bar soap and it grosses me out. I wish she would change over to liquid soap which is more sanitary. She's 80 years old and pretty set in her ways. When I visit her, I want to throw it away, but she is attached to it. OOOOoohhhh gross.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
I've seen Vel soap at the 99-cent stores. Maybe it's a made in Mexico version.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
Did anyone notice that Ivory bar soap has changed its odor? And whatever happened to Lifebuoy, the original pinky orange bar in a kind of hexagon shape? So many of the older bar soaps that I liked have changed their scents -- wonder why? Does anyone recall Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
Just got a new Vermont Country Store catalog and alot of the discontinued soaps are listed there. I'm going to order some Camay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
I love Cleopatra bar soaps by Colgate-Palmolive.It was packaged in a card box and, if I recall was deep purple and gold! The brand CLEOPATRA was launched for the first time in 1984 and became the No. 1 bar of soap brand in France, then in 2004, they sold the Cleopatra soap on to a French company called Cadum.

Found a vintage 1980s one in a junk shop last year and used it, had a nice odor and creamy lather. Can't seem to find it anymore, though I have been told you can find it is sold in Greece, Germany, France, Cyprus, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Asia and Africa. And a shower cream is available.

I'm looking for it because I wanted a soap which doesn't contain chemicals that are harmful to us, i.e. Parabens which most soaps contain and participate into the development of cancer.

I also love the older vintage Maja soaps, the newer ones just cannot compare!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Discontinued Bar Soap

in reply to divinelites
Just remember that you can remove the soap scum with the liquid soap. The soap scum is residual oil that has stuck to the sides of the tub. That same liquid soap removes the oil in your skin. The result is dry skin.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites
Do you still have this soap for sale.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites
Does anyone have new bars of vel soap for sale
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites
"I wish she would change over to liquid soap which is more sanitary."

Unless she's got gross visitors leaving weird things on her soap bar, I don't think it's an issue. It's soap after all......self cleaning and all that........
Scratch A Dog
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites

I cant believe it I have been using Camay for 55yrs and they have decided to discontinue it. I have sensitive skin and it's the only soap that I can use, I can't understand what is wrong with the company are they stupid it's a top brand and I would recommend it to anybody with sensitive skin. I would like t let the know that they are causing me to worry about my skin and to find a substitute soap and I have got to go through looking at all the ingredients in other soaps to make sure that it is agreeable with my skin. what are they doing to me it a sad moment that the company can't let the public know well in advanced by either the TV or by sending a leaflets through the post :-( :-( put Camay back on the shelf in all stores now. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites

I remember how Safeguard used to smell when I was in college in the 70's.  I loved the smell.  I just bought some and it smells nothing like it used to.  So I googled "change the scent of safeguard soap" and this came up.  Now I know it has changed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to divinelites

They never should have changed the original scent of Safeguard soap.The new scent which came out in the late 70's or 1980 was so strong----for women there was nothing feminine about it. Smells like it would strip your skin off.

Please use plain text.