eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

in reply to flamawmaw
My split is the result of a ferret bite to the nail bed. I have had it for about 10 years now, and nothing fixes it.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
I also got bit quite deeply into the knuckle by a squirrel, but on the finger next to the one with the split, so I can't blame it on the little rascal. LOL
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Two of my nails grow out split since I had my son 26 years ago. That little white line where the split is showed up one day and never left. Recently my doctor told me that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I'm going to hit the D supplements and see what happens to my nails.
Susan
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw

Hi folks,

I too have a split nail right ring finger.  An injury during a sheep sheering gone wrong Lol. The sheep turned out fine my hand took the hit.   Those sheep sure are hard to hold and sheers sure are sharp!  It's been about 6 years now and my nail splits if it grows out more than an 1/16 of an inch.  It's always snagging on everything and of course generally just being a pain in the butt. I agree there is not much to do but keep it filed but am greatful for the many suggestions here about vitamins and oils!  Good luck to all  Jane.

Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Vit D zinc magnesium iron protein deficiencies can cause nail splitting and ridges
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Nail splitting or ridges are caused by Vit D, zinc, magnesium, iron and protein deficiencies...try a good multi vitamin for a week and some extras of the nutrients in supplement and food forms and notice a big difference in a couple of weeks
Community Member

in reply to jobeymom

Did that work?

Community Member

in reply to carysannie29

i have a split nail on the left hand second finger think i am going to get a oparation on it 

Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
I have same thing but it's my thumb.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
I had bitten my nails for over thirty years so my nails are flatter which I think is the cause of the splitting. The nail on my middle finger grows in a bit and then splits as the nail eats longer. I have tried crazy glue and cutting it short but it just keeps happening. I am not willing to have a fake nail put on top since I want to keep my nails natural. I did read a truck where you take a small snip of tea bag paper and glue that to the split so I'm trying that next. I also thought of pulling apart a q-tip and using the little fuzzy bits to hold it. I am not cutting this thing off !
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Ok I'm trying this as it is the first thing I've read that sounds like it just might work!!!! Thank you for taking the time to post😊
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
My dad told me to put super glue over the start of the split and below it as well and it will grow out right. Doesn't take much and it worked for me.
Community Member

in reply to louw.leig

I came here looking for a better remedy than mine. I have had this problem for years with my left index finger. I often catch it, ripping off 25%, and we know how painful that is. The nail grows normally until half way then splits into two. I really have tried everything. The final solution has been to file it as low as possible and apply a false nail, keeping it the same length as the real nail. Trimming and filing before application is easiest (you don't want to catch that split edge) I gently push the split together whilst drying as the real nail tends to splay and flatten as it grows. After a couple of months I have a decent length and can give the nail a breather. A quick fix is, alternate layers of tissue paper and clear nail polish. Good luck.

split nail repair.jpg
Community Member

in reply to purplekat45

purplekat45 wrote:
Nail oil does not work I have the same problems for four years now I miss having nails

Community Member

in reply to rlh4591

rlh4591 wrote:

My thumb nail would split down the Middle into the bed. Painful at times. I went to alot of Doctors and they said that there was nothing they could do. Finally I went to the Nail salon across the street, She said that she can put a Gel Nail on top of my thumb nail, that will hold it together. That was over 3 years ago and no more spliting. Heart

Community Member

in reply to abeal49

abeal49 wrote:

I developed this problem after a squirrel bit my finger at the medial joint.  The nail has not grown correctly since.  Given that the trauma affecting the nail was a full inch and a half from the nail itself I believe these problems are beyond any surface treatment you can apply to the nail.  I've tried different things to hold it together.  It did take a long time for the finger to heal from the bite but that was been at least 5 years ago, I think.  I would have to check with my clinic to find out which set of rabies shots that was, LOL!  It's always something with me!

Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw

I also have the same problem. I went to the Dermatologist. Here's the advice from the doctor:

1. Stop having manicure/pedicure. The nail polish remover dries out the nails. Also, keeping nail polish on the nail for an extended period of time causes damage to the nails, because of the nail polish's ingredients, and because it does not allow the nail to breathe properly.
  2. The nail will need 6 months to grow out into a new, healthy nail.
  3. Take Biotin, Vitamin B12, Calcium & Zinc supplement- for at least 2 months.
  4. Get a prescription for Nuvail. It's a special, by prescription-only nail treatment. Visit Nuvail's website (http://nuvail-rx.com/), to request a rebate coupon card. The website's home page has a lot of great advice about damaged nails and how to remedy them.
Community Member

in reply to 123trav

My thumb nail would split down the Middle into the bed. Painful at times. I went to alot of Doctors and they said that there was nothing they could do. Finally I went to the Nail salon across the street, She said that she can put a Gel Nail on top of my thumb nail, that will hold it together. That was over 3 years ago and no more spliting. Heart

Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Nail oil does not work I have the same problems for four years now I miss having nails
Community Member

in reply to leetheflea57

Well, I've had no luck with the nails, but I have had filler in the ear lobe and that has worked pretty well. Do you know about Lobe Wonders (

Amazon)? They make it possible for me to wear practically almost any earring.  Never leave home without them.