eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
dollfemmefatale
Community Member

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

in reply to flamawmaw

Splitting, chipping and riged nails.... even nail discoloration can be the cause of your body not producing enough Collegan, etc. Aging, health problems, poor diet and medication can cause all of these things as well as swelling, tingling and numbness. Try taking Collegan, Biotin, Hyaluronic Acid, and Gelatin. These will greatly improve nail problems, skin disorders, wrinkles, numbness and tingling.. as well as joint and muscle problems.  

Due to illness I've take medication that has cause major hairloss. I've also suffered form major skin issues (where as my skin had always been great in the past)  and serious pain. At last I became fed up w/ the never ending cycle of my doctor prescribing meds which caused other serious problems. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and do some major research. I found that for most ailments there are natural supplements w/out horrific or life threatening side effect that really do work. In most cases they work just as well or better than prescibed meds.

Anyhow, all the supplements listed above are naturally occuring in the body. Only age, meds and diet can cause your body to slow production. This leads to a slew of problems. Do talk w/ your doctor before starting any new regimen if you have any health issues or are taking any medications.  I really hope this will help, Good luck to you all!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rkozlo

Ironically, my nail finally started healing on it's own. What caused this? It finally split all the way up to the nail bed—by complete accident if I may say—and after growing out for ±two weeks, the split line appears to have vanished.

Now I know there would be times where it would appear to disappear and reappear, but I honestly believe it finally gave way and  healed itself.

*...And watch something ironic happen in 30 minutes where it either reappears or all of my other nails spontaneously snap and break.*

Yes, I have been taking multivitamins for many a MANY of months, and also I have been drinking Trévo off and on as well. I honestly believe that had my nail not snapped as it did, I would still have the wretched split nail.

__
Reagan "Christie" Holmes

Please use plain text.
butterflydesigns4u
Community Member

in reply to misskity6

Thank You for your "remedy" - I certainly will give it a try.

But, really, did you have to include ""bleep"" throughout your instructions.  It was totally unnecessary and gave no class or strength to your message whatsoever.

misskity6 wrote:

I'm HOPING I will help others heal their split nail. If you have had a split nail for a long time, READ THIS.

First of all, I am in no way endorsing any products, not trying to sell **bleep**. I honestly wish I could just help people 

the way that someone who wrote something online somewhere helped me in Cyberspaceland.

Ok, here's the story:

I'm 30. In the summer of 2012, I got a job temporarily as a hostess. My job was to constantly be using a wet rag to clean tables, I had to be rigorous, and was constantly washing filth off my hands. Plus, after years of all the nail painting, nail polish removal, filing, and gels, my thumbnail split slightly left of center. The split happened in February right before I quit, and after MONTHS of Googling nail and split-help forums, someone suggested this and it worked for me:

Cut your nail down as FAR as you possibly can (don't go crazy, just, super **bleep** short). 

File them too so the split doesn't snag on things, which continues the split and prevents it from growing out.

I tried putting Gelish Gels (with UV) on my thumb and that wasn't strong enough.

DO NOT NOT NOT paint the damaged nail or use nailpolish remover. No Gels and NO trips to the salon while the split grows out and the nail strengthens.  This is the key. I promise you DON'T need the salon plus you'll save money that way.

BUT it definitely helped with this three extra steps I did:

1) Avoid getting your nail wet unnecessarily. Showering can't be avoided, but I tried to stay out of the pool and ocean. 

Remember when I said I did Gels? Well there are 5 different bottles you need. One of them is pure essential and exotic oils. Plus it smells AMAZING!!!! The bottle is called: 

2) Hand and Nail - Harmony Cuticle Oil "Nourish". It contains Sweet Almond oil, Sesame Seed oil, Safflower oil, Grape Seed oil, Fragrance, Antioxidant, Vitamin E, Soluble Collagen, Retinyl, Vitamin A, and Organic Aloe Vera Leaf juice. I **bleep** you not, that's what in it, and it looks just like a nail polish bottle with a brush applicator. BUY THIS. BUY IT NOW. EVEN USE ON YOUR OTHER NAILS. I even put it on my cracked heels. It is nectar from the **bleep** GODS. Sometimes I'd rub on a little virgin organic coconut oil, too. Just for added measure. The point is to keep it moisturized with the oil and avoid letting it become brittle. 

3) Lastly, take BIOTIN.  I take two a day, however many micrograms that is. They're little white pills that are great for your nails and hair growth. And that's it.

So here's the breakdown:

• Take two Biotin a day
  • Keep your nail out of the pool/water
  • Do NOT paint or remove paint from your nails. No trips to the salon, save your $$$! Stay Bare.
  • Apply "Nourish" by Harmony as many times a day as you can remember. I did like 2-3 sometimes. Before bed too.
  • Cut your nails **bleep** short until it grows out. If you follow the steps, it should.

That honestly should do it. My friggin thumb was split since February and FINALLY in the last week of September the **bleep**er grew out and I swear I thought it NEVER would. It only took a month or two of this regiment for it to work for me. And it only cost me a $10 bottle of Biotin and $5 bottle of Nourish. Good Luck!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
After reading several posts regarding this topic it seems there could be different reasons for nails splitting vertically. It's definitely annoying. I've had the problem with two nails. Thumb in the past and now the ring finger. I do believe the problem started only after having begun to get 'gel nails'. Thumb nail finally corrected after several weeks of constant trimming until sufficient growth so I think there's hope for my ring finger nail. Will probably quit getting gel nails.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1957mark0_14

great advice, thankyou.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to susancsals

right, my doc says "It'll grow out."  wrong!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sbtier

poor dear.  2 years for me, more than long enough.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw

Oh my goodness, I'm so pleased to find other people with the same problem as me! 

The nail on my little finger on my right hand has been splitting for about three years now. I've tried so many things; glueing it, shellac nails, keeping a plaster on it, taking Biotin, keeping it filed down, everything! On several occasions I've got the split to grow out but then it's resplit. It's too far down my nail to cut completely. All the rest of my nails are fine, my hair is strong and I eat a good diet. 

I'm still on the quest for a cure. It sounds like such an insiginificant little thing, but it's such a pain! At least I know now I'm not the only one :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw

I had this problem for months, then went to a nail bar where they put a small piece of silk over the nail and varnished it with clear varnish. The nail healed completely in 3 weeks. You may find that you are subconsciously biting on that nail! Good luck

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sbtier

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to countrypaige

Hi, I have been nursing a crack for a couple of months its at the tip of my right thumb slightly to the left. I can't seem to get it to heal. I was a vegetarian but got so weak and cold a couple of weeks ago started eating fish and chicken again. I feel stronger but my nail is still weak, only that one???? Right thumb. 

I would love some insight on this issue. I will get a nail strentghener and start applying it.

Thank you,

Sharon

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Clear nail polish! Seals it up, and prevents it from catching on anything.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sbtier

I have this problem too. It stems from an injury where I split my thumb and nail. The doctor removed my nail and stitched the injury. After the nail grew back I get the same problem, nail splitting where the wound originated. I kept cutting the nail back lower and lower until it was finally below the original cut. It finally grew back whole. However, it didn't last too long (about a couple of months). I just deal with the split now, but it is annoying, and always catches on something. I just keep the nail as short as I can and maybe one day it will grow back properly.

Please use plain text.
xenagirl31
Community Member

in reply to scapp041809
Curious to find out if your nail treatment worked?
Please use plain text.
abeal49
Community Member

in reply to lilpepo

I developed this problem after a squirrel bit my finger at the medial joint.  The nail has not grown correctly since.  Given that the trauma affecting the nail was a full inch and a half from the nail itself I believe these problems are beyond any surface treatment you can apply to the nail.  I've tried different things to hold it together.  It did take a long time for the finger to heal from the bite but that was been at least 5 years ago, I think.  I would have to check with my clinic to find out which set of rabies shots that was, LOL!  It's always something with me!

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Please use plain text.
lilpepo
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
Yes! I have one now and it hurts! Anything to help?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to seethisnowthat

When your nail crack in half in to the the meat and open as any open soar it is extremely painful, not to mention , that can get infected. But I imagine that to some one that have not experience it, is totally clueless and insensitive to it! Vitamine A and E as well as Aminoacid, will help this problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw
I too have this problem. I am going to get vitamins and try that. I miss by healthy nails and lovely long nails.

I will also buy the Knox gelatin.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gymgap

I have had a split on my left thumbnail for years now. I am 56. It used to come and go but now it's always there. I'll try some of the suggestions. Can't believe there are so many of us!!!

gymgap wrote:

I have a split nail, right thumb.  It has been about 9 months now.    I have kept it filed short and waited, it continues to split.   I can see a ridge under the nail, a line which goes from the farthest part of the split back to the little half moon of the nailbed by cuticle.   I have taken a hair/nail supplement with Biotin and B vitamins and E.   I have taken gelatin.  Calcium, check, done that too.  The split does not "grow out".   As the nail grows the split stays at the same depth into the nail.   Very frustrating.   My father has on both of his thumbs, so probably hereditary.   I am 44, just appeared this year.   Makes me crazy.

I have read on some medical boards that it is a deformity of the nail bed, or injury to nail bed.   I do not recall injuring it.   And that the only help for it is repair of the nail bed with "microsurgery".   The cyst theory on the nearest knuckle which some on this thread have reported makes sense to me.   I think my next step is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand repairs to see if they concur with this idea.   Hey, I need an earlobe repair too anyway!  LOL.  My dermatologist said maybe a moisturizing oil would help.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to flamawmaw

I have a split nail, right thumb.  It has been about 9 months now.    I have kept it filed short and waited, it continues to split.   I can see a ridge under the nail, a line which goes from the farthest part of the split back to the little half moon of the nailbed by cuticle.   I have taken a hair/nail supplement with Biotin and B vitamins and E.   I have taken gelatin.  Calcium, check, done that too.  The split does not "grow out".   As the nail grows the split stays at the same depth into the nail.   Very frustrating.   My father has on both of his thumbs, so probably hereditary.   I am 44, just appeared this year.   Makes me crazy.

I have read on some medical boards that it is a deformity of the nail bed, or injury to nail bed.   I do not recall injuring it.   And that the only help for it is repair of the nail bed with "microsurgery".   The cyst theory on the nearest knuckle which some on this thread have reported makes sense to me.   I think my next step is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand repairs to see if they concur with this idea.   Hey, I need an earlobe repair too anyway!  LOL.  My dermatologist said maybe a moisturizing oil would help.  

Please use plain text.