cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

flamawmaw
Enthusiast
?:|Anyone have fingernails that split down the middle?
Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

I also have the problem with my thumb nail cracked from base to tip. My thumb nails also have deep dents in them. I have never smashed my nails so I am not sure why this continues. Even after they grow out...it starts all over. Plus my nails layer and I have to peel back the layers. Up until about a year ago my nails were healthy and strong. I am at a loss as to why I am having these issues now.
Message 76 of 125
latest reply

I too have the same issue. My thumb has being splitting down the middle for over 10 years. I have beautiful natural nails. I am not sure how this happened but I am thinking it was "tramatized" by either a hammer or putting acrylic over my nails. I stopped getting that done years ago but the problem persists. I am going to try a homemade harder (from store), mixed with Biotin liquid softgels  with vitamin D added. I read that the condition is called Onychoschizia. I have done all of the common sense things with no results. I have even as a dermatologist with no luck. I too thought about getting the nail removed and starting all over. I will try my solution for a couple of weeks and respond back to the forum.

Message 77 of 125
latest reply

I have had a vertical split for years. I now have a 'hard gel' layer put on. It's natural looking and works for me. Not costly to have done.
Message 78 of 125
latest reply

Wow the exact same thing happened to me. I slammed my finger in the car door years back when i was young and the nail fail off and grew back more thicker,but just a few months ago it's been splitting down the middle and it's sooo painful when it gets caught on things. I've tried super glue as well and it only works for a few days. So fed up ;(
Message 79 of 125
latest reply

This is calcium deficiency, please get it checked out by a qualified Dr 😉
Message 80 of 125
latest reply

Tried the gel nail which did not work as it came off within 2 weeks.  Then  tried the nail wrap which also lasted only 2 weeks. My split actually goes down into the quick.  Have had this for almost 2 years. 😞

Message 81 of 125
latest reply

Gel nail never worked for me as it came of in 10 days.  Then they tried the nail wrap but that also came off in 10 days.  No hope for me.

Message 82 of 125
latest reply

I have been taking all those vitamins even before I had this nail problem.  So I guess that is not the answer.  I do not get maniure Is. Have tried gel nail, nail wrap which only last 10 days.  Nail problem has been close to 2 years now.

I really doubt that my insurance will over this medication as it seems to be more cosmetic than something I would really need for an illness. 😞

It is quite painful and goes down into the quick.

Message 83 of 125
latest reply

I have this problem but is there nothing that will stop it from splitting.

Message 84 of 125
latest reply

Hello!

I am having the same split happen to my right thumb, it has been 6 months now. I take multi-vits and Hair, Nails and Skin vitamins, have been for 2 years. I was just wondering if you have been successful with a cure for the split? Thank you.

Message 85 of 125
latest reply

Nope.
I'm 58 and have taken suppliments of vit A&E, among others, since I was 18.
My right thumb nail is beginning to split down the middle....sooooo, there goes your theory.

Message 86 of 125
latest reply

I have this problem on right and left little fingers, but left hand is worse.  I have had it all my life.  It is not a symptom of age, but it might be a signal that you could develop a medical problem later in life.  I have such moist skin and nails that no nail coating will stick for more than a few days!  Like others here, if not kept extremely short, it will catch on clothing, towels, whatever and then get infected.  As for medical problems, I also have always had high co2, and with age, low oxygen.  I also have food allergies that may be preventing absorption of food nutrients.

My best advice is to clip nails very short and avoid filing the damaged nail.  Filing "shakes" the nail, causing it to split more deeply.

I knew I couldn't be the only person who gets this!

Message 87 of 125
latest reply

What can I use to stop my nails splitting dinwards

Message 88 of 125
latest reply

I have the same thing (have had it for seven years) and I believe it's because I damaged the nail bed removing fake nails way back when.  I've tried everything to remedy it and it hasn't helped.

Message 89 of 125
latest reply

So glad to hear this! I have had my right thumb split for almost 6 months now. I've tried covering it with a gel nail, acrylic, leaving it bare....nothing! Driving me crazy!! None of my other nails are like this....just my thumb.
Message 90 of 125
latest reply