cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

flamawmaw
Enthusiast
?:|Anyone have fingernails that split down the middle?
Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

I came here looking for a better remedy than mine. I have had this problem for years with my left index finger. I often catch it, ripping off 25%, and we know how painful that is. The nail grows normally until half way then splits into two. I really have tried everything. The final solution has been to file it as low as possible and apply a false nail, keeping it the same length as the real nail. Trimming and filing before application is easiest (you don't want to catch that split edge) I gently push the split together whilst drying as the real nail tends to splay and flatten as it grows. After a couple of months I have a decent length and can give the nail a breather. A quick fix is, alternate layers of tissue paper and clear nail polish. Good luck.

Message 61 of 125
latest reply

My dad told me to put super glue over the start of the split and below it as well and it will grow out right. Doesn't take much and it worked for me.
Message 62 of 125
latest reply

Ok I'm trying this as it is the first thing I've read that sounds like it just might work!!!! Thank you for taking the time to post😊
Message 63 of 125
latest reply

I had bitten my nails for over thirty years so my nails are flatter which I think is the cause of the splitting. The nail on my middle finger grows in a bit and then splits as the nail eats longer. I have tried crazy glue and cutting it short but it just keeps happening. I am not willing to have a fake nail put on top since I want to keep my nails natural. I did read a truck where you take a small snip of tea bag paper and glue that to the split so I'm trying that next. I also thought of pulling apart a q-tip and using the little fuzzy bits to hold it. I am not cutting this thing off !
Message 64 of 125
latest reply

I have same thing but it's my thumb.
Message 65 of 125
latest reply

i have a split nail on the left hand second finger think i am going to get a oparation on it 

Message 66 of 125
latest reply

Did that work?

Message 67 of 125
latest reply

Nail splitting or ridges are caused by Vit D, zinc, magnesium, iron and protein deficiencies...try a good multi vitamin for a week and some extras of the nutrients in supplement and food forms and notice a big difference in a couple of weeks
Message 68 of 125
latest reply

Vit D zinc magnesium iron protein deficiencies can cause nail splitting and ridges
Message 69 of 125
latest reply

Hi folks,

I too have a split nail right ring finger.  An injury during a sheep sheering gone wrong Lol. The sheep turned out fine my hand took the hit.   Those sheep sure are hard to hold and sheers sure are sharp!  It's been about 6 years now and my nail splits if it grows out more than an 1/16 of an inch.  It's always snagging on everything and of course generally just being a pain in the butt. I agree there is not much to do but keep it filed but am greatful for the many suggestions here about vitamins and oils!  Good luck to all  Jane.

Message 70 of 125
latest reply

Two of my nails grow out split since I had my son 26 years ago. That little white line where the split is showed up one day and never left. Recently my doctor told me that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I'm going to hit the D supplements and see what happens to my nails.
Susan
Message 71 of 125
latest reply

I also got bit quite deeply into the knuckle by a squirrel, but on the finger next to the one with the split, so I can't blame it on the little rascal. LOL
Message 72 of 125
latest reply

My split is the result of a ferret bite to the nail bed. I have had it for about 10 years now, and nothing fixes it.
Message 73 of 125
latest reply

Hello we at "It Works" have good products that can solve that problem.  Try it at www.5diamondstlp.itworks.com

Message 74 of 125
latest reply

I use a dab of SuperGlue on the split in the nail of my middle finger. It splits only about 1/4" but catches on everything. This nail was surgically removed after an accidental hit with a hammer. It grew back and was perfect until a couple of years ago when the split occurred. Still looking for a CURE, not a temporary fix.

Message 75 of 125
latest reply