cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

flamawmaw
Enthusiast
?:|Anyone have fingernails that split down the middle?
Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

great advice, thankyou.

Message 46 of 125
latest reply

After reading several posts regarding this topic it seems there could be different reasons for nails splitting vertically. It's definitely annoying. I've had the problem with two nails. Thumb in the past and now the ring finger. I do believe the problem started only after having begun to get 'gel nails'. Thumb nail finally corrected after several weeks of constant trimming until sufficient growth so I think there's hope for my ring finger nail. Will probably quit getting gel nails.
Message 47 of 125
latest reply

Thank You for your "remedy" - I certainly will give it a try.

But, really, did you have to include ""bleep"" throughout your instructions.  It was totally unnecessary and gave no class or strength to your message whatsoever.

@misskity6 wrote:

I'm HOPING I will help others heal their split nail. If you have had a split nail for a long time, READ THIS.

First of all, I am in no way endorsing any products, not trying to sell **bleep**. I honestly wish I could just help people 

the way that someone who wrote something online somewhere helped me in Cyberspaceland.

Ok, here's the story:

I'm 30. In the summer of 2012, I got a job temporarily as a hostess. My job was to constantly be using a wet rag to clean tables, I had to be rigorous, and was constantly washing filth off my hands. Plus, after years of all the nail painting, nail polish removal, filing, and gels, my thumbnail split slightly left of center. The split happened in February right before I quit, and after MONTHS of Googling nail and split-help forums, someone suggested this and it worked for me:

Cut your nail down as FAR as you possibly can (don't go crazy, just, super **bleep** short). 

File them too so the split doesn't snag on things, which continues the split and prevents it from growing out.

I tried putting Gelish Gels (with UV) on my thumb and that wasn't strong enough.

DO NOT NOT NOT paint the damaged nail or use nailpolish remover. No Gels and NO trips to the salon while the split grows out and the nail strengthens.  This is the key. I promise you DON'T need the salon plus you'll save money that way.

BUT it definitely helped with this three extra steps I did:

1) Avoid getting your nail wet unnecessarily. Showering can't be avoided, but I tried to stay out of the pool and ocean. 

Remember when I said I did Gels? Well there are 5 different bottles you need. One of them is pure essential and exotic oils. Plus it smells AMAZING!!!! The bottle is called: 

2) Hand and Nail - Harmony Cuticle Oil "Nourish". It contains Sweet Almond oil, Sesame Seed oil, Safflower oil, Grape Seed oil, Fragrance, Antioxidant, Vitamin E, Soluble Collagen, Retinyl, Vitamin A, and Organic Aloe Vera Leaf juice. I **bleep** you not, that's what in it, and it looks just like a nail polish bottle with a brush applicator. BUY THIS. BUY IT NOW. EVEN USE ON YOUR OTHER NAILS. I even put it on my cracked heels. It is nectar from the **bleep** GODS. Sometimes I'd rub on a little virgin organic coconut oil, too. Just for added measure. The point is to keep it moisturized with the oil and avoid letting it become brittle. 

3) Lastly, take BIOTIN.  I take two a day, however many micrograms that is. They're little white pills that are great for your nails and hair growth. And that's it.

So here's the breakdown:

• Take two Biotin a day
  • Keep your nail out of the pool/water
  • Do NOT paint or remove paint from your nails. No trips to the salon, save your $$$! Stay Bare.
  • Apply "Nourish" by Harmony as many times a day as you can remember. I did like 2-3 sometimes. Before bed too.
  • Cut your nails **bleep** short until it grows out. If you follow the steps, it should.

That honestly should do it. My friggin thumb was split since February and FINALLY in the last week of September the **bleep**er grew out and I swear I thought it NEVER would. It only took a month or two of this regiment for it to work for me. And it only cost me a $10 bottle of Biotin and $5 bottle of Nourish. Good Luck!!

Message 48 of 125
latest reply

Ironically, my nail finally started healing on it's own. What caused this? It finally split all the way up to the nail bed—by complete accident if I may say—and after growing out for ±two weeks, the split line appears to have vanished.

Now I know there would be times where it would appear to disappear and reappear, but I honestly believe it finally gave way and  healed itself.

*...And watch something ironic happen in 30 minutes where it either reappears or all of my other nails spontaneously snap and break.*

Yes, I have been taking multivitamins for many a MANY of months, and also I have been drinking Trévo off and on as well. I honestly believe that had my nail not snapped as it did, I would still have the wretched split nail.

__
Reagan "Christie" Holmes

Message 49 of 125
latest reply

Splitting, chipping and riged nails.... even nail discoloration can be the cause of your body not producing enough Collegan, etc. Aging, health problems, poor diet and medication can cause all of these things as well as swelling, tingling and numbness. Try taking Collegan, Biotin, Hyaluronic Acid, and Gelatin. These will greatly improve nail problems, skin disorders, wrinkles, numbness and tingling.. as well as joint and muscle problems.  

Due to illness I've take medication that has cause major hairloss. I've also suffered form major skin issues (where as my skin had always been great in the past)  and serious pain. At last I became fed up w/ the never ending cycle of my doctor prescribing meds which caused other serious problems. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and do some major research. I found that for most ailments there are natural supplements w/out horrific or life threatening side effect that really do work. In most cases they work just as well or better than prescibed meds.

Anyhow, all the supplements listed above are naturally occuring in the body. Only age, meds and diet can cause your body to slow production. This leads to a slew of problems. Do talk w/ your doctor before starting any new regimen if you have any health issues or are taking any medications.  I really hope this will help, Good luck to you all!

Message 50 of 125
latest reply

I've had this problem with one nail for over 12 years.  I kept it clipped as short as possible because it caught on things once it began to grow out.  I finally just decided to use a cheap fake nail over it.  (These can be purchased by the package, and come pre-glued.) That helps, but you need to be very careful to limit the days that you keep the fake nail on.  It moisture gets in, there are issues with fungus.  I found that out the hard way.  I just forgot about the nail and left it on for 10 days.  When I removed it, the tip of my nail was black.  That was gross and bothersome, but easily solved with an antifungal treatment.  I considered having the nail removed, but my beautician said that it was a problem with the nail bed, and that removal wouldn't solve the problem.  So frustrating!

Message 51 of 125
latest reply

Pretty much all my nails have vertical ridges and are split. They also break very easily. I have been to 3 different doctors. All they say is to take Biotin which  I did for 2 years. The only result is more splitting and breaking. Biotin was not the answer for me.

I have an appointment with a derm this month. I'm hoping and praying she will have an answer that at least reduces this problem.

Message 52 of 125
latest reply

I too have had this problem for the past 3 years but I believe I found the answer to the problem, for my situation anyway.  My nail was split as well (what looked like to the nail bed) and most times I would have to wear a band-aid around my nail so it wouldn't catch on things.  I have in the past always taken Caltrate 600+D but for some reason stopped taking it.  Little did I realize it was about that same period of time that I began to have issues with my nail.  Recently, my bones started to ache a bit and I picked up a bottle of Caltrate 600+D (chewable), 155 count and low and behold after taking them for about 3 weeks (1 per day), my split nail issue is GONE.  Seriously, I did not start again on Caltrate because I was looking for a cure to my nail issue, this was just an added bonus...one that in my case I am glad I discovered.  If you have tried everything else with no results, give Caltrate 600+D a try.  I really do believe this was the fix for me. 

Message 53 of 125
latest reply

Well, I've had no luck with the nails, but I have had filler in the ear lobe and that has worked pretty well. Do you know about Lobe Wonders (

Amazon)? They make it possible for me to wear practically almost any earring.  Never leave home without them.  

Message 54 of 125
latest reply

Nail oil does not work I have the same problems for four years now I miss having nails
Message 55 of 125
latest reply

My thumb nail would split down the Middle into the bed. Painful at times. I went to alot of Doctors and they said that there was nothing they could do. Finally I went to the Nail salon across the street, She said that she can put a Gel Nail on top of my thumb nail, that will hold it together. That was over 3 years ago and no more spliting. heart

Message 56 of 125
latest reply

I also have the same problem. I went to the Dermatologist. Here's the advice from the doctor:

1. Stop having manicure/pedicure. The nail polish remover dries out the nails. Also, keeping nail polish on the nail for an extended period of time causes damage to the nails, because of the nail polish's ingredients, and because it does not allow the nail to breathe properly.
  2. The nail will need 6 months to grow out into a new, healthy nail.
  3. Take Biotin, Vitamin B12, Calcium & Zinc supplement- for at least 2 months.
  4. Get a prescription for Nuvail. It's a special, by prescription-only nail treatment. Visit Nuvail's website (http://nuvail-rx.com/), to request a rebate coupon card. The website's home page has a lot of great advice about damaged nails and how to remedy them.
Message 57 of 125
latest reply

@abeal49 wrote:

I developed this problem after a squirrel bit my finger at the medial joint.  The nail has not grown correctly since.  Given that the trauma affecting the nail was a full inch and a half from the nail itself I believe these problems are beyond any surface treatment you can apply to the nail.  I've tried different things to hold it together.  It did take a long time for the finger to heal from the bite but that was been at least 5 years ago, I think.  I would have to check with my clinic to find out which set of rabies shots that was, LOL!  It's always something with me!

Message 58 of 125
latest reply

@rlh4591 wrote:

My thumb nail would split down the Middle into the bed. Painful at times. I went to alot of Doctors and they said that there was nothing they could do. Finally I went to the Nail salon across the street, She said that she can put a Gel Nail on top of my thumb nail, that will hold it together. That was over 3 years ago and no more spliting. heart

Message 59 of 125
latest reply

@purplekat45 wrote:
Nail oil does not work I have the same problems for four years now I miss having nails

Message 60 of 125
latest reply