cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

flamawmaw
Enthusiast
?:|Anyone have fingernails that split down the middle?
Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Cause & cure for fingernail split down the middle

I have a split nail, right thumb.  It has been about 9 months now.    I have kept it filed short and waited, it continues to split.   I can see a ridge under the nail, a line which goes from the farthest part of the split back to the little half moon of the nailbed by cuticle.   I have taken a hair/nail supplement with Biotin and B vitamins and E.   I have taken gelatin.  Calcium, check, done that too.  The split does not "grow out".   As the nail grows the split stays at the same depth into the nail.   Very frustrating.   My father has on both of his thumbs, so probably hereditary.   I am 44, just appeared this year.   Makes me crazy.

I have read on some medical boards that it is a deformity of the nail bed, or injury to nail bed.   I do not recall injuring it.   And that the only help for it is repair of the nail bed with "microsurgery".   The cyst theory on the nearest knuckle which some on this thread have reported makes sense to me.   I think my next step is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand repairs to see if they concur with this idea.   Hey, I need an earlobe repair too anyway!  LOL.  My dermatologist said maybe a moisturizing oil would help.  

Message 31 of 125
latest reply

I have had a split on my left thumbnail for years now. I am 56. It used to come and go but now it's always there. I'll try some of the suggestions. Can't believe there are so many of us!!!

@gymgap wrote:

I have a split nail, right thumb.  It has been about 9 months now.    I have kept it filed short and waited, it continues to split.   I can see a ridge under the nail, a line which goes from the farthest part of the split back to the little half moon of the nailbed by cuticle.   I have taken a hair/nail supplement with Biotin and B vitamins and E.   I have taken gelatin.  Calcium, check, done that too.  The split does not "grow out".   As the nail grows the split stays at the same depth into the nail.   Very frustrating.   My father has on both of his thumbs, so probably hereditary.   I am 44, just appeared this year.   Makes me crazy.

I have read on some medical boards that it is a deformity of the nail bed, or injury to nail bed.   I do not recall injuring it.   And that the only help for it is repair of the nail bed with "microsurgery".   The cyst theory on the nearest knuckle which some on this thread have reported makes sense to me.   I think my next step is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand repairs to see if they concur with this idea.   Hey, I need an earlobe repair too anyway!  LOL.  My dermatologist said maybe a moisturizing oil would help.  

Message 32 of 125
latest reply

I too have this problem. I am going to get vitamins and try that. I miss by healthy nails and lovely long nails.

I will also buy the Knox gelatin.

Message 33 of 125
latest reply

When your nail crack in half in to the the meat and open as any open soar it is extremely painful, not to mention , that can get infected. But I imagine that to some one that have not experience it, is totally clueless and insensitive to it! Vitamine A and E as well as Aminoacid, will help this problem.

Message 34 of 125
latest reply

Yes! I have one now and it hurts! Anything to help?
Message 35 of 125
latest reply

I developed this problem after a squirrel bit my finger at the medial joint.  The nail has not grown correctly since.  Given that the trauma affecting the nail was a full inch and a half from the nail itself I believe these problems are beyond any surface treatment you can apply to the nail.  I've tried different things to hold it together.  It did take a long time for the finger to heal from the bite but that was been at least 5 years ago, I think.  I would have to check with my clinic to find out which set of rabies shots that was, LOL!  It's always something with me!

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Message 36 of 125
latest reply

Curious to find out if your nail treatment worked?
Message 37 of 125
latest reply

I have this problem too. It stems from an injury where I split my thumb and nail. The doctor removed my nail and stitched the injury. After the nail grew back I get the same problem, nail splitting where the wound originated. I kept cutting the nail back lower and lower until it was finally below the original cut. It finally grew back whole. However, it didn't last too long (about a couple of months). I just deal with the split now, but it is annoying, and always catches on something. I just keep the nail as short as I can and maybe one day it will grow back properly.

Message 38 of 125
latest reply

Clear nail polish! Seals it up, and prevents it from catching on anything.
Message 39 of 125
latest reply

Hi, I have been nursing a crack for a couple of months its at the tip of my right thumb slightly to the left. I can't seem to get it to heal. I was a vegetarian but got so weak and cold a couple of weeks ago started eating fish and chicken again. I feel stronger but my nail is still weak, only that one???? Right thumb. 

I would love some insight on this issue. I will get a nail strentghener and start applying it.

Thank you,

Sharon

Message 40 of 125
latest reply

Message 41 of 125
latest reply

I had this problem for months, then went to a nail bar where they put a small piece of silk over the nail and varnished it with clear varnish. The nail healed completely in 3 weeks. You may find that you are subconsciously biting on that nail! Good luck

Message 42 of 125
latest reply

Oh my goodness, I'm so pleased to find other people with the same problem as me! 

The nail on my little finger on my right hand has been splitting for about three years now. I've tried so many things; glueing it, shellac nails, keeping a plaster on it, taking Biotin, keeping it filed down, everything! On several occasions I've got the split to grow out but then it's resplit. It's too far down my nail to cut completely. All the rest of my nails are fine, my hair is strong and I eat a good diet. 

I'm still on the quest for a cure. It sounds like such an insiginificant little thing, but it's such a pain! At least I know now I'm not the only one 🙂

Message 43 of 125
latest reply

poor dear.  2 years for me, more than long enough.

Message 44 of 125
latest reply

right, my doc says "It'll grow out."  wrong!

Message 45 of 125
latest reply