eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Anyone Tried Cinnamon for Weight Loss?

A doctor told me the other day that my belly fat is a result of insulin resistance, blood sugar, etc. Nothing that I understood.

But he said that the best thing in the world for it is a cinnamon pill that you buy at Wal*Mart.

I looked on eBay, cause it's a whole lot easier than going to Wal*Mart, but found nothing at all like that.

I have never particularly liked cinnamon, but if it could make me slim and trim I could learn to like just about anything. Suppose cinnamon tea would do the trick?
Please use plain text.
*dipipi*
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
My sweetie makes cinnamon pills that he takes as part of his diabetes regimen. You can get the empty gel capsules at most health food stores (such as Vitamin Cottage). There's even an easy capsul filler contraption you can get.

All I want for Christmas is our {{{ol_grandad}}}.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
I used to belong to a food co-op, so I know a little about encapsulating. Just wasn't sure how safe it would be to do that with cinnamon. How many capsules a day does your friend take? (Please tell me he is slim and trim.)
Please use plain text.
*dipipi*
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
I'd be happy to ask him -- it's probably a teaspoon or so. He doesn't have a weight problem, and whatever all he's doing has let him cut back substantially on the amount of insulin he takes.

Here's an article I found on the internet:

Cinnamon spice produces healthier blood

* 17:52 24 November 2003
* NewScientist.com news service
* Debora MacKenzie

Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels in diabetics, a new study has found. The effect, which can be produced even by soaking a cinnamon stick your tea, could also benefit millions of non-diabetics who have blood sugar problem but are unaware of it.

The discovery was initially made by accident, by Richard Anderson at the US Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland.

"We were looking at the effects of common foods on blood sugar," he told New Scientist. One was the American favourite, apple pie, which is usually spiced with cinnamon. "We expected it to be bad. But it helped," he says.

Sugars and starches in food are broken down into glucose, which then circulates in the blood. The hormone insulin makes cells take in the glucose, to be used for energy or made into fat.

But people with Type 1 diabetes do not produce enough insulin. Those with Type 2 diabetes produce it, but have lost sensitivity to it. Even apparently healthy people, especially if they are overweight, sedentary or over 25, lose sensitivity to insulin. Having too much glucose in the blood can cause serious long-term damage to eyes, kidneys, nerves and other organs.
Molecular mimic

The active ingredient in cinnamon turned out to be a water-soluble polyphenol compound called MHCP. In test tube experiments, MHCP mimics insulin, activates its receptor, and works synergistically with insulin in cells.

To see if it would work in people, Alam Khan, who was a postdoctoral fellow in Anderson's lab, organised a study in Pakistan. Volunteers with Type 2 diabetes were given one, three or six grams of cinnamon powder a day, in capsules after meals.

All responded within weeks, with blood sugar levels that were on average 20 per cent lower than a control group. Some even achieved normal blood sugar levels. Tellingly, blood sugar started creeping up again after the diabetics stopped taking cinnamon.

The cinnamon has additional benefits. In the volunteers, it lowered blood levels of fats and "bad" cholesterol, which are also partly controlled by insulin. And in test tube experiments it neutralised free radicals, damaging chemicals which are elevated in diabetics.
Buns and pies

"I don't recommend eating more cinnamon buns, or even more apple pie - there's too much fat and sugar," says Anderson. "The key is to add cinnamon to what you would eat normally."

The active ingredient is not in cinnamon oils. But powdered spice can be added to toast, cereal, juice or coffee.

Anderson's team were awarded patents related to MHCP in 2002. But the chemical is easily obtained. He notes that one of his colleagues tried soaking a cinnamon stick in tea. "He isn't diabetic - but it lowered his blood sugar," Anderson says.

The group now plans to test even lower doses of cinnamon in the US, and also look at long-term blood sugar management with the spice.

Journal reference: Diabetes Care (vol 26, p 3125)

All I want for Christmas is our {{{ol_grandad}}}.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Wow! Thank you. I can't wait to try this. Think I'll try it in yogurt and see what happens . . .
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
how interesting! I love cinnamon but had I known it had these benefits would be eating a lot more of it!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Be careful not to add too much cinnamon to your diet. Like aspirin, cinnamon works as a blood thinner. If you already have LOWER than normal blood pressure, this could worsen the condition.
Please use plain text.
1066hastings
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
You can buy cinnamon capsules at puritan dot com. I buy tons of stuff from them. I think they have buy one get one free right now but sometimes they have buy one get two free.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Oh wow, that's some good stuff to know. I eat cinnamon a lot! I love it! ...and I have blood sugar probs. Maybe I should up the amount I'm using. (I'll keep in mind the blood thinning thing though.) That's wild about the slimming effect too. I had always heard cinnamon was anti-bacterial. I use a health-food brand (Jason) mouthwash that has cinnamon it, that I really like also. Yay cinnamon! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Cinnamon does curve insulin resistance and will help from gaining some extra weight. However a cinnamon pill will not help you lose weight. There are number of ways to lose weight and the most common methods I've recommended my customers is to buy a product that will increase their metabolism and one that will help stimulate the natural release of growth hormone. Those are the most effective ways and the key to actually not only losing weight but to keep it off. Its most important that you combine of that with weight resistance training & aerobic activity. It may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't if you have the right stuff.

Hope that helps
Vince

Caliber Fitness Solutions
The Leader in Human Evolution.

Ebay's Most Controversial Powerseller of all time!!!

My status
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
It's early to tell, but I have been putting 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of plain yogurt twice a day. I like it so, so far so good.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Mellow, your Op sounded like your Dr was describing PCOD. You should ask him about it as it's insulin related, and also check it out on google to see for yourself.
Christmas Countdown Banner

Happy Holidays
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
I use Dudur slimming cream with marine ingredients and cinnamon. It was part of my weight loss program. Worked for me, lost 10 lbs. try dudur.com slimming program
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Thank you one and all. I really mean it.

I never had what I would call a weight problem until my marriage ended. Guess a lot of us would like to be a few pounds thinner, but I essentially spent most of my predivorce adult life at 5'7", 150. Had two pregnancies and ended up right back at 150.

When my marriage ended I gained 135 pounds. Depressed and just sat around eating and drinking. Hubby moving out, going to court to file for divorce, and my father's suicide were all within 6 weeks. Looking back now, I wish I had gone in for counseling, but my father had been in therapy, saved up his meds, and killed himself.

Long story short, about 40 pounds pretty much dropped off by itself. Now it seems like no matter what I do I don't gain weight, but I don't lose it, either.

Doctor sent me in for blood work to check my cholesterol and thyroid. I am almost hoping that they find something wrong because maybe correcting that would help me get back to a normal weight.

Again, thanks one and all.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
shnookumpooh, I googled PCOD which is a female problem. I don't have any female problems other than being 52, still having periods, and having a (male) doctor who insists that I don't need birth control . . .

I went to the doctor because of a small bald spot on the back of my head. Wanted to be sure it wasn't alopecia because over the years I have lost most of my body hair. Doctor assures me that I have just rubbed the hair off of that spot.

Says if I get pregnant I will be famous. I told him I didn't want to be famous as the bald 52-year-old who had a baby.

Anyway, while he was looking at my hair he took my pulse, then my blood pressure, then listened to my heart, then put me on meds for my blood pressure and sent me in for blood work.

Someplace in the middle of all that the cinnamon came up as I do have a lot of belly fat. But nothing that I would call female problems.

Other than having to put up with men.

:-x
Please use plain text.
1066hastings
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
For the person who e-mailed me saying they could not find cinnamon capsules at puritan dot com:

Type 014020 into the search bar on the homepage of puritan. That is the item number for the capsules. You can also just type cinnamon into the search bar and get a list of all their cinnamon products.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
I would like to reiterate a concern expressed above; i.e, don’t go overboard on the amounts you take. Cinnamon contains hundreds of compounds, not just MHCP, and one of these compounds is the anticoagulant drug coumarin (which you do not want to get too much of). Besides, supplementing with more than a gram (daily) doesn’t appear to be of any benefit. In the study I read, it clearly indicated that those taking 3 and six grams of cinnamon (daily) saw know increase in benefits.

Low, for the bad news: Although several studies suggest cinnamon may make you healthier (by reducing insulin resistance, glucose, as well as bad cholesterol), I haven’t read anything which suggests cinnamon will clear your complexion, and make you slim, while you sleep. But don’t despair, I have little doubt you will find some magical pill/potion here on eBay that will do the trick ;-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
If anyone is looking for a healthy way to lose weight and it's also certified kosher, organic and vegetarian, then please see the products at www.myeverything.org or I have some listed in my store, Healthy Life Cafe. Let me know if you have any questions about the products. The vitamins and supplements are all liquid so that they are absorbed faster and easier into the body, they work within minutes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
I haven't tried cinnamon, I tried another way, it is useful, uglass@265.com,give me some information, I would like to exchange with you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mellowmama53
Check out hrsep's feedback rating~!! What in the helloverpete does "ebay.unverified" mean~!!??

Image hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.