eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Pricing ? What is a seamstress worth?

[ Edited ]
in reply to sewingmommy_o

Hello, I am looking for a couture dress designer,

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to rahikaleem2011

Need a seamstress to hire for part time job.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nika_boutique

**bleep** straight, I've been ripped off by seamstress promising they'd be able to do the projects within the time but they end up taking their SWEET time and some even demanded to be paid more afterwards. It's like if you agree upon a price then you take that amount, if it takes you longer then thats on you. I sew for a living and sometimes I need help with my orders, but I do not charge ridiculous rates. 10-12 per hour depending on the design and amount of work required. I can usually sew garments in 3-6hrs that includes cutting it myself. When I hire someone, I provide the fabric pre-cut. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tt2013-ramsi

hello tt2013 ramsi, it's very easy to sell on ebay. Simply set up your acct., take a pictures of item, click the sell an item tab & follow instructions there. I recommend using paypal to accept payments. have fun & good luck!! 

Please use plain text.
cheryl_seamstress
Community Member

in reply to jwood454

I think it's GREAT that you can get fair wages for your custom work :smileyhappy:  In my area of Southeastern Ohio, I LOSE them during the phone conversation when I mention formal wear is $300 labor and HIGHER.   The item is custom fitted so there aren't additional alteration charges but that's still alot in this area. I think pricing is always difficult for seamstresses.  I have learned to give HIGH estimates because I will NOT go 'over' my estimate.  That's my personal way of doing business.  If I made a mistake on my estimate I just 'eat it' and remember to quote HIGHER next time :smileyhappy: If a customer changes THEIR mind about design features or fabrics, patterns, etc, I will inform them there's a higher charge.  I am putting together a new contract.  I have seen a few I like and I am going to add my personal touch.  ALWAYS get 50% non-refundable deposit at the beginning of custom work.  Most of the contracts I have seen also insist on final payment at the FIRST fitting of the garment. Make sure the business keeps the ORIGINAL copy of the contract, give the customer a copy.  I don't ask for deposits for alteration work.  I have their clothing :smileyhappy:  I do collect the money for any large fabric or trim purchases up front. I have fantastic customers who are honest.  8 yrs. and I haven't received a bad check.  Now and then a new customer just doesn't 'show up' for their appt.  Rude, but not a problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cheryl_seamstress

I like the "double your time" idea.The estimate starts getting expensive and I chicken out though. I have estimated the time on most of my custom dressmaking jobs, which includes patternmaking. The price for a formal long dress starts at $1500.00 plus fabric. I am iincreasing it this year to $2000.00 plus fabric.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bestbuys*2007

I agree. You must deside what you are worth,even if others charge less. It takes some moral courage, but you have to or you'll be broke. If this is a dying art, we must charge accordingly.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bestbuys*2007

I totally agree with your phillosophy on pricing. I think $60.00/hr. should be the minimum charge for custom dress making and alterations.I have talked to many professional, yoga teachers,mental health professionals,plumbers, and $60.00/hr. is their price/hr. The other tricky thing in pricing is being honest with your self about the time it talkes to do a job. If you get that time estimate wrong, does one  talk about it to the customer before the job is over and warn them? I don't know. I find the time thing very hard sometimes I get it right sometimes I don't. What do custom builders do? I would love to read more discussion about this. Thanks to all posters!

Please use plain text.
cheryl_seamstress
Community Member

in reply to m_inskip

I charge $26-$30 per hour.  If the economy ever gets better I will INCREASE my wages.  A good seamstress is a RARE GEM :smileyhappy:  I am an expert in bridal and formalwear alterations.  I also do other alterations.  I LOVE to custom sew garments but they are expensive. Those jobs are rare in my area.  Concerning the COSTUME question, it depends upon the costume.  Do NOT try to compete with WALMART prices, your talent is worth ALOT more.  Guess the amount of time it will take you and DOUBLE it.  Believe me, it ALWAYS takes LONGER than you think.  PLEASE charge ALOT more than minimum wage.  I think even a mediocre seamstress should charge $15 per hour.  Don't take on a job you don't feel qualified to do.  If you know how to hem pants and skirts, stick with those jobs until you educate yourself.  Do NOT get a 'bad reputation'.  This will RUIN your business very quickly.  Referrals from HAPPY CUSTOMERS will always be your BEST advertising :smileyhappy:  GOOD LUCK :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to myvintiques

Looking for someone who is qualified to sew custom bluejeans for hire. I have been ordering jeans for myself for the last several years from a lady in a nearby town, however, she has recently retired, leaving me without a source for jeans. I'm used to the heavier denim, and would like to keep it that way. If anyone out there is interested, please contact me at gpurvesATcenturyteldotnet.

Please use plain text.
maebeth1353
Community Member

in reply to 2ndhandsister

You get what you pay for.

Please use plain text.
maebeth1353
Community Member

in reply to 2ndhandsister

Are you seriou? As a tailor, my time is worth much more than that. I get $25- $30/hr.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to yummy*baby

can someone explain to me how can i sell my items on ebay. I am newbie.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to vailvillager

I'm one of those slower seamstresses :smileyhappy: and I charge by the piece. I have set rates for alterations ($10 for side seams, $8 for jeans hem, $20 for handstitched skirt hem, etc.) and for sewing new items from scratch I figure the cost of the materials, and charge the same amount for the labor. This works because if there is more fabric to sew or fancier fabrics which are harder to sew, the higher labor charge, based on the higher cost of materials, makes up for the harder work. Jobs that I charge by the hour for are things like hand-sewn beading on wedding dresses, hand-sewn embroidery, hand-painted T-shirt designs, etc. My rate is $8 per hour, the legal minimum wage.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to myvintiques
Hi! My mom is such a professional Taylor but she needs a job. She's been sewing for almost 20 years now. She knows how to cut, design, and sew it together and even iron it. Please if u have any job available let me now. Thank you so much.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dmaree1220

Hi im making 3 costumes from scratch and just wondering as im only just starting out how much your auntie thinks I should charge obviously after cost of materials thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to comet763

The local cleaners charge way to low for mending and alterations. They are in the cleaning business and not really a sewing business. They have to keep their alterations priced low to keep their dry cleaning customers coming in. If you are a real seamstress don't go by what someone else charges set your fees according to what you are worth of go work for someone else who will pay you minimum wage. Just my 2 cents worth.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sunny_designs

Agree. I get all choked up when someone says I just need a simple thing made or sewn. Nothing is simple as a seamstress for over 35 years I don't give away my services. If I need a plumber I pay them $60.00 an hour. If I need an auto machanic I pay them $90 - $100.00 an hour. People who hem pants for $3.50 an hour don't respect their time. I ask the person up front what do they expect to pay if their number isn't even close to what I would charge them I tell them I could not do it for them that cheap and that ends the conversation. Most don't have a clue. An experienced seamstress will charge what she is worth.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to yummy*baby

I have been doing alterations for years. I have set a minimum of $10.00 regardless of what the work is. I charge on average $25-35 per hrs. I do wedding dress alterations and this is hard work. Very time consuming and hard to maneuver the heavy bulky dresses. I also do hemming, buttons, jackets, skirts, repairs. I usually charge by the item depending on the extent of the work. If it makes me crazy doing a project I make it worth my time to do it :smileyhappy:

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
caddy200448
Community Member

in reply to myvintiques

I just happened on the discussion. I have been sewing custom orders for around 30 years or more. At this time I make around $40.00 per hour.

Please use plain text.