eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

New Bulk Uploading and Order Processing Tool available for Half.com Sellers

For more information, please see below...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bookscm@ebay.com
On October 20, 2005, Half.com sellers will be able use the eBay File Exchange product to bulk upload and manage their inventory.

File Exchange is eBay’s flat-file tool that enables sellers to list on Half, eBay and eBay’s international sites by submitting a comma-separated, semicolon-delimited or tab-delimited flat file. Files may be created through excel, MS Access or other inventory software. With File Exchange, you can quickly and efficiently:

• Create new listings

• Confirm that there are no errors in your listings before posting them

• Monitor your sales history

• Revise active listings

• End active listings

To use File Exchange to list Half.com items once the migration is complete, you will need to be signed up for the File Exchange product. You may also want to sign up for Selling Manager Pro, eBay’s Web-based listing and post-sales management tool to access the scheduling downloads functionality.

To sign up for these tools, visit the links below. Sign-up is easy, and takes only 5-10 minutes for both products!

• File Exchange: http://pages.ebay.com/file_exchange/

• Selling Manager Pro: http://pages.ebay.com/selling%5Fmanager%5Fpro/
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The eBay message announcing this new file exchange program for bulk uploads refers to "other inventory software." For those of us selling books, will we be able to use HomeBase for such uploads?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

That's a great question! If we could use HomeBase, it would definately make my life easier! Anyone know??
Please use plain text.
diskounters
Community Member

Its obvious half.com is spending more time saving money on their end, but not helping buyers/sellers. My sales have gone down significantly the past year, and half.com cut many categories down. Half.com needs to work on fraudulant purchases, not hurting its buyers and sellers with moronic changes. Its no wonder I'm spending more time selling on other websites. Half.com cut their categories, something that has hurt me directly. They seem to be working on changes that will lower their support staff, and increase computer response.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

From the File Exchange signup page:

Who Can Use File Exchange?
To qualify for eBay File Exchange, you must meet all of the following requirements:

• Registered on eBay for at least 90 days
• Average 50 or more active listings per month over the last 2 months

Sellers who don't currently meet the requirements but expect to do so by using File Exchange can apply by sending a request to customer support.

So I tried to sign up. Even though I have 2500 books on Half.com I was denied because I don't have 50 or more active listings on ebay. So I sent a note to customer support.

Ebay, you need to fix this.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I would also certainly like to know if Homebase uploads are an option or will be an option. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

FINALLY!!!!:-D!!!!!

Are you also coordinating with some of the 3rd party listing services so that we all can go live when you are ready?

We look forward to adding ~9000 unique skus and cleaning up our present listings & getting the half.com % of our business up from the 2% or so that it is now.

Good work!

footnotes
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Many 3P listing services won't touch eBay because of the access fees they charge developers for data sent and rec'd to their programs. Each few data 'hits' to eBay's site costs a penny or so, whereas Amazon's data is free, thus why most developers are working on progs there.

As long as we can now upload, I am happy. Half's sales will go up----no more room to go lower :smileyhappy:

Bill Martlink, Red Carpet Books
Please use plain text.
Community Member

yes the fees are annoying. we pay them now for the ebay uploads. Also, since AZ is so free with its data, our inv mgmt service (like all except pure ebay ones) is very AZ-centric. And yes, this does mess up some data that AZ has messed up.

still, it is cheaper than having to upload by hand. The higher fulfillment rates and the additional bussiness are worth it.

footnotes
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I didn't sell books on ebay but only on half.com. And because of this, I wasn't able to sign up on the file exchange. Ebay, please allow people selling only on half.com to use file exchange. Please fix it and please be lenient to give us one more choice!!!!!!

Don't force us to list books on ebay to qualify. The reason I don't want to post books on ebay is because of your fees. I have a little over 10,000 books and it's not financial feasible to list them in ebay while other web sites provides flat fee structure. I would suggest you have similar structure as others for book sellers because we tend to have a larger number of items compared to other sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

50 auction listings on eBay is 50 auctions too many. Why can't half.com see that FIXED listings are what half.com is about. Not stores, not auctions, not "powerselling" exclusively.

50 listings, that's fine! 50 fixed price HALF.COM listings...not 50 EBAY auctions.

Isn't this the Half.com board?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello.

On 10/20 your Half.com listings will be all that you will need to qualify for File Exchange. You won't need to have 50 eBay listings - just 50 Half.com listings.

Thanks,

GL
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you for the clarification...

What a freaking joy to hear something that will actually help us small-time sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I vote for homebase also. Why have to key books a second time to the Half I love.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

can anyone describe "homebase" for me?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Homebase is book inventory management software available from www.abebooks.com. It is junk and they are currently developing a worse version for Fall release.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Half answered my email, saying that it can only import .csv files. Homebase will export in .csv format. That'll save a few thousand hours of labor!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Is Half.com on schedual for the October 20th changes to go into effect?
Thanks!
Mary
Please use plain text.
Community Member

When will it be ready? I tried this morning and get the same error. Today was supposed to be the day when it would be enabled for Half.com sellers.
Please use plain text.