cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any help in identifying this stone? possibly jade? No clue on the markings either

Measures approximately 4" long

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

any help in identifying this stone? possibly jade? No clue on the markings either

Maybe soapstone?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree: steatite or soapstone is likely (even ancient scarabs used this material). Try to scratch a hidden place with an old copper penny (or something else pure copper). If it scratches, then very probably soapstone.

My currently listed gem rocks
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It looks very similar to one I bought at auction. Since I was clueless, I forwarded a pix of what I had to www.valuemystuff.com for a valuation. Check them out. Anyway the result wasn't what I wanted but interesting. Below is what they had to say:

"A Scarab, carved of a soft stone with light green colouration, lengthwise pierced for suspension, the underside incised with pseudo-hieroglyphs. In ancient Egyptian style but made in modern times." So sorry I couldn't capture the pix for you; I'm still in a learning curve for posting. Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply