eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

What Does the B mean, on 14KB Gold?

Hi, I have a necklace marked 14KB. What does the B mean? Is it real 14K Gold? Or Does the B mean Bonded to another metal? I read on other websites that it is real 14K and the B means it was made in Mexico? Im getting mixed signals. thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What Does the B mean, on 14KB Gold?

in reply to gftryjk

Got to have photo of item and the markings.

Please use plain text.
adkhighker
Community Member

in reply to gftryjk

I've never seen that marking before. 14K, 14KT, or 585 are pretty much the universal markings when speaking in terms of solid gold of that purity. Are you sure the B isn't actually a T? If it's a B, I would be a little wary of it being solid gold and have it thoroughly tested.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gftryjk

I think that one of the big jewelry companies that sells on the home shopping channels uses 14kb to indicate 14 kt gold bonded, a type of plating.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jewelrybypaula

You can find this FR14Kb marking on older diamond rings and they are 14kt white gold settings and not plated.

The one I saw had 2.5cts of diamonds approx value of around $8000 at least.

First clue that common sense even dictates is you dont put high quality diamonds in rubbish plated settings.

I would like to know the jewellery markers name ..... looks like its from the 1970s at a guess and most probably a American jeweller.

I note oneof the gold dealers says the small b after 14k indicates mexican gold was used.

Please use plain text.
grammyanniesattic
Community Member

in reply to gftryjk

14KB ~ COULD ~ Mean bonded.

It doesn't have to. I've had jewelry marked 14K RGP that was solid gold, not rolled gold plate, as the silly designer chose RGP as their trademark.

Any solid gold item should be tested to ensure purity. I recommend taking the item to a pawn store or jewelry store & they will test it for you and give you a offer. (Just go in and ask for a offer on your item) If its fake/gold plate the offer will be 0. Anything over 0 and its real.

If you deal with a lot of gold (or even 1 piece a month) I recommend getting a gold acid testing kit, or at least a bottle of 14K Acid. It can be purchased on ebay for low prices.

Please use plain text.