eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
gemdiva64
Community Member

Vintage inlaid inuit walrus tusk ivory bracelet

Photobucket
I'm hoping someone here can help me figure a value on this one of a kind piece. The work is very intricate and one of a kind. Created in alaska near the north pole by an native indian .. thanks so much
Sharon
Please use plain text.
lexy143
Community Member

Re: Vintage inlaid inuit walrus tusk ivory bracelet

in reply to gemdiva64
Ebay has banned Ivory for sale here. Even the legal kind. They couldn't police all the sales so they just banned it outright.
Please use plain text.
gemdiva64
Community Member

in reply to gemdiva64
Wow..well I didn't know that.. I thought the native inuit's could sell walrus tusk legally?
Sharon
Please use plain text.
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to gemdiva64
They can but Ebay just decided to ban all of it because of all the sellers who were listing illegal pieces. I heard somewhere PETA had something to do with it but don't know that for a fact.
You have to be careful with bone too, you are supposed to specify what kind of animal it came from.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gemdiva64
Very true. They used to have genuine walrus ivory carvings- many signed by Inuit carvers listed on Ebay. Some were even listed by actual brick and morter stores in Alaska. Then Ebay banned all walrus ivory carvings even though the Inuits are legally allowed to hunt walrus.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gemdiva64

Walrus shed their tusks frequently and both male and female have tusks. No animals are killed for tusks. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gemdiva64

That may be true for walruses, but not elephants.  Ivory is a status symbol in Japan and they will pay big bucks for it.

One solution they came up with was that after some elephants were being shot multiple times for their tusks, they came up with a plan to sedate the animals and cut the tusks off.  It made it more difficult for the animals to defend themselves, but at least they would be alive.

Please use plain text.