eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Sterling Silver vs the magnet test

in reply to rachelmoira

Mexican silver is not silver over brass. I don't know where you get your information. It is wrong.

Please use plain text.
lotek9942
Community Member

in reply to lenorep

"Nickle is Magnetic?"

Yes!! At room temperature even. Here is a link to the "Nickle Institute":

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/en/NickelUseInSociety/AboutNickel/NickelMetaltheFacts.aspx

It is absolutely important to take all posts with a little "That might not be true" as the person who said it was not obviously lied, either unknowingly, or with intent. Make sure you double check all claims yourself out on that big old internet. "Is Nickle Magnetic" will bring you to people who know the truth: Yes, very.

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to bwrighttwo

Thank You.. I learn something new everyday :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

They used 18k gold test acid.

Community Member

in reply to treasures4u2clinda

This may sound like a stupid question. However I have an item that does NOT attract a magnet, I had someone do an acid test streak test , I do not know what acid used, the item is over 50 years old, and I saw the streak on his stone turn bright blue ? He said it is heavy silver content, but did not know what percent. It is a hefty item.

Why did it not turn red?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities
Hello,
I have been using the magnet test for a long time. I have found with some pieces the tiny loops that connect the jewelry will stick when the main item does not, I have also found that the posts backs will cause the whole earring to stick. I was checking into another way to test Sterling and ran in to this. I just sold a lot of Sterling Hoop Earrings and was contacted by buyer that three of the hoops were not Sterling. So, I also do not know for sure until I find out what other tests there are for this. I hope you can find this out, as it also is confusing me a lot.
Linda

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities

As far as the clasps sticking to the magnet, it is not necessarily because the clasp is fake. The clasps have springs in them and the springs are made of metal so the spring in the clasp will attract the magnet.

Please use plain text.
tremblay123
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities

I know the feeling I am going through the same thing, I have pieces that are clearly marked sterling but the magnet sticks to it, and some that are not markd but tested sterling and do not stick to it, I am as well totally confused, thanks for your thouhgts on this, I dont feel so bad,

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities
The clasps stick to magnets because the spring has to be made of steel!!!! But if you think it's fake please sell it to me scrappdo83 I'll take that risk
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rachelmoira
Mexican silver is NOT silver plate over brass. Don't know where you heard that, but that is incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_standards

When we switched from sourcing and having jewelry made in Thailand to Mexico in the early 2000's, most of the Mexican producers only made .950 pieces. We had to request .925 to keep consistency and lower the cost a little.

I've asked several Italian factories why some sterling silver chains made in Italy are attracted to magnets and they said those are made previous to the year 2000, when nickel was still commonly used.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lenorep

Yes, Nickel, Cobalt, Iron (ther ferromagnetic metals) and Gadolinium (at room temperature). 

Please use plain text.
adkhighker
Community Member

in reply to sprckn

sprckn wrote:

I have a Pandora leather bracelet with (supposedly) sterling silver barrel clasp.  The clasp shows some attraction to a magnet.  Does that mean that I have a fake Pandora or is that normal?  Thanks for any info!

Your clasp is most likely fine. The reason your clasp is attracted to the magnet is because there is often a tiny steel spring inside the clasp that accounts for the magnetic attraction, even though the rest of the clasp is sterling silver. This is also very common with gold clasps on the end of gold chains. Some of them will also attract to a magnet because of the tiny steel spring inside them. I've taken apart enough of them to see these tiny steel pieces in them which are often necessary to make the clasp function properly.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sprckn

The magnet test is a terrible, and inaccurate way to test for sterling silver.Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by
mass of other metals, usually copper.Any of these other metals could attract a magnet.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities

I have a Pandora leather bracelet with (supposedly) sterling silver barrel clasp.  The clasp shows some attraction to a magnet.  Does that mean that I have a fake Pandora or is that normal?  Thanks for any info!

Please use plain text.
rachelmoira
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities
The kicker nowadays is it could be rhodium plated....rhodium plating can and sometimes not always, contain metals that attract magnets....also yes a lot of sterling sold today even by high end jewelry retailers is nowhere near.925% . More like 40%. A lot of "sterling " on ebay sold by Bella and Chloe is Mexican silver or not silver at all. Mexican silver=silver plate on brass and other pot metals. justjust bought a new milor chain and guess what its not close to sterling. And I'm not getting false positives. I always file into or past the plate or rhodium and put acid right in my file spot. Acid test everything u buy on ebay. Never ever buy silver from China unless you need copper for plumbing pipe. Hoe does ebay even allow them to continue selling. It should bring criminal charges to ebay and PayPal.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities
No reaction usually means its genuine especially when testin gold x
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities
It is real silver the clasp is most likely steel or another metal that sticks to a magnet xx
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyberbasementsale

I am really confused about the acid testing because this is an older necklace from a woman's estate who traveled alot in the 50's and 60's to other countries. I could find absolutely nothing as to what standard Korea has for marking silver (i.e. sterling etc).

I did the magnet test and of course it doesn't stick except for the small ring which connects the clasp.

I used the JPS test kit and it kinda ticks me off cause it tells me NOTHING! It says for such and such purity it will turn bright red, or brown/green, or creamy white, etc.

This did absolutely nothing...no change in color. I am puzzled

Bill

Please use plain text.
dseabound2911
Community Member

in reply to hollyblue83

hmmmmmm I hear anger....

Please use plain text.
xblingythingysx
Community Member

in reply to debsrarities

Sterling silver is 92.5% Silver the other 7.5 is mixed metal.... Would this be the reason the magnets attract?

Please use plain text.