eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Selling High End Jewelry and Gemstones

Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice. I have some high end jewelry and gemstones I would like to sell on Ebay but I notice others with similar items are not getting bids. Last week I listed a chocolate diamond ring and the only hit I got turned out to be a scammer. Should I look for another place to sell these things? Any advice will be appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to peggysue2000-half
Hi Peggy, Things that are selling best now appear to be
extremely high end, or extremely cheap. The current
economy is not favoring the average working Joe.
If you search under closed listings using keywords which
will pull up similar items as you have, you can judge
whether or not there will be any profit for you after
paying for the merchandise and eBay & PayPal fees.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

First off, if you are not honest in your listings, you are going to chase folks off right away. Example, the Tanzanite ring, your retail price is about 10x or so what it is worth. While the good dark colors from D Block (most known mine.. but there are plenty of others) may go for that price per carat, yours are too light to even come close to that price. I believe JTV sold that exact piece for $100 less, if I am not mistaken. Be more realistic with your price and you could probably still make a few dollars off of it.

Also, it is hard to purchase things from places like JTV and then try and resell those items for more then 5x what they sold for.

Please don't take my post as rude, I am just to the point, but am sometimes taken the wrong way.

My future advice... don't buy from the TV shows and expect to make $$$ off the items. What they sell, from my experience, is bottom of the bucket merchandise, and trust me, we have tried alot of their products and seen more then enough come through for appraisals and the like! The stones are pretty much low quality, poorly cut, light colors, included, and heavily treated that they then "talk up" and make folks think they are high end. Heck, we got a piece of white topaz and it was fracture filled (had internal cracks or the like and then was filled with a glass resin)! Keep in mind, the TV shows are RETAILERS, just like most other stores... they are NOT going to sell you $200 stones for $2 every day all day in quantity.. just can't happen.. regardless of what they say. Can you buy a $200 stone for $2? If you get lucky, yes you might.. but not on a regular basis, sorry.

One last note, would be to charge a reasonable shipping cost. $10.99 & $12.99 for USPS is extremely high, atleast 2x what it would cost in reality.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

You know when I read this and saw the term "chocolate diamond" - my instant reaction was here we go - this sounds like "TV Gemstone Spin" - Sales patter galore.

A chocolate diamond has to be a "brown diamond" - to put it politely thats not the most desirable colour in a diamond !!.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Your prices are way off for ebay. Five ss chains for how much?! You need to check completed listings for similar items & see how much they go for. Your shipping is too high as well.

Stacy
Gems4all
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Also, use every space allowed for titles. Keywoods are very important. A short title limits your visibility.
Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

Prices too high, stock photos(Only one per listing)inflated retail prices, Tanzanite ring listed under Diamond ring, no weights listed, inflated shipping, what more do you want?

I have bought the same the chains for $4-$6 each.

Sorry, you need a reality check.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Your "this ring is really worth" statement at the bottom screams fraud...a 10k ring would only sell for that price if it weighed 5 pounds. Your prices are too high...avoid the "worth" statement.
Please use plain text.