eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: S80 Silver? [vs. real .925 SterlingSilver]

in reply to gk681948

OK here is another store I can not find

Community Member

Re: S80 Silver?

in reply to connie53053

OK, who is the good seller then?

Community Member

in reply to harekrishnakabita

OMG, are you kidding?  So sad cause it's all pretty

Community Member

in reply to gk681948

I tried to find that store on here and can't????

Community Member

in reply to windtech1

I am sick of ebay letting the same sellers sell on here and when they run out of rookies that finally got wise to there deception they close their account and start another one under a different name. S80 and Tibetan silver is a crock!  Have you noticed when you start buying something regulary with an auction bid they start selling the same Item at a buy now for triple the first price you paid for it? Beware of sellers from China. 

Community Member

in reply to windtech1
I know just what u r are saying about the fake jewellery being described as real because the Asian community stamp them. Then they pass them on to trusting Buyers, who in turn sell this **bleep** as real jewellery on local Facebook auctions. The buyer of the EBay jewellery sells on the sites as if it's real cause that's what the description said on EBay. It's a vicious cycle of deception now.. When I have confronted EBay sellers of the 925 Sterling silver not being real ( cause I have bought lots for it to only turn to rust after naively using my jewellery cleaner, I get the answers like you certainly couldn't buy real Sterling silver at our very low prices. I really want EBay to step in on this matter. There is also jewellery being sold with the brand name of the artist with the original looking tag of artist sitting beside the item in the picture- so a buyer would think they r buying the real thing for a good deal( one ex. Is Betsey Jonson jewellery. I have bought so much jewel.ery off EBay that I'm getting turned off buying anymore because their sellers r too deceptive.
Community Member

in reply to suzettude-1finds

I have been having the same problem, some of it was turning my finger! I even contacted one of the sellers and they admitted it was silver filled and got a refund and I asked them to change their listing to the right way and told them I would be watching and if they  don't change I will probably go to ebay! There are more on ebay you have to watch, I have wasted a good bit of money by being deceived with some of the sellers! 

Community Member

in reply to rcheeseman-uk

Hi Ruth,

I was wondering if you ever heard from ebay regarding the sellers of fake jewelry? I am guessing that no, you haven't. The reason I ask is because about a year ago I made a necklace and tried to list it on ebay as a 'Handmade Michel Negrin STYLE Necklace', and they wouldn't let me list it citing that people who were looking for real Michel Negrin jewelry could get confused and purchase my necklace and that would be misleading. And worse case would be that the buyer wold have an awful buying experience and would never shop on ebay again!! To which I replied; "First of all, if someone was that naive (ie.stupid) to purchase my necklace when a) the word 'style' was capitalized, b) I was offering it as a Buy It Now for $16-which is about 5% of what a real Michel Negrin necklace would sell for, c) if they were looking for her jewelry then they already knew that, and d) if they WERE that stupid then I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to create an ebay account much less figure out how to get onto the internet! And second; maybe instead of a red flag being raised over something like that, you guys could look into and address the many, many problems and questions that the 'ebay community' has in the million or so threads that are going at any given moment!"

Of course I didn't hear back from them, and yet I still see listings all the time that will use misleading words like 'antique', 'vintage', Shabby Chic, etc. when those items are none of those things at all! That just rubbed me the wrong way!! And now with these fake jewelry sellers, I don't understand how they can get away with stamping jewelry with .925 and even 14k, etc.  It's so frustrating!

~Lisa

Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I can not have any garbage metal on my skin or it bubbles up blisters. Clear nail polish may work for some. But not for my body's reaction. So if it's advertised to be a solid Sterling or kt Gold & it isn't,,,I have to suffer!!! Because by the time my skin reacts it's to late!! Ears get infected. Rings,bracelets blister. Necklaces have scared my chest. This S80 I have learn is **bleep** for me. Just sayin'

jplu4278 wrote:

Some (most) of sellers from (or buying from) China are selling S80 jewelry items as .925 Sterling Silver and it's not at all.  They might not even show S80 anywhere in the description.  S80 (like heavy plated or layered) might even acid test as silver, but the most accurate way of testing is to melt it down and test the specific gravity of the bead that remains (what doesn't burn up).  What's worse is, unwarry buyers who purchase these might resell them as .925 Sterling and never know the differance, so the S80 spreads through the nation and lowers the value of .925/Sterling Silver.  Take the poll and maybe eBay will do something about this problem.

jplu4278 wrote:

Some (most) of sellers from (or buying from) China are selling S80 jewelry items as .925 Sterling Silver and it's not at all.  They might not even show S80 anywhere in the description.  S80 (like heavy plated or layered) might even acid test as silver, but the most accurate way of testing is to melt it down and test the specific gravity of the bead that remains (what doesn't burn up).  What's worse is, unwarry buyers who purchase these might resell them as .925 Sterling and never know the differance, so the S80 spreads through the nation and lowers the value of .925/Sterling Silver.  Take the poll and maybe eBay will do something about this problem.

Community Member

in reply to newcomerbossman

newcomerbossman wrote:
I share your experience I've purchased numerous items all marked sterling 925 s. At at cetera etcetera and they have all prove to be fake

I think there are a few aspects to this problem. One, the compaies can pop up again under another name very quickly. Another, i'm sure many people are willig to buy knowing the items are fake. Some of the jewelry items can be purchased for under a dollar. 

Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
I share your experience I've purchased numerous items all marked sterling 925 s. At at cetera etcetera and they have all prove to be fake
Community Member

in reply to rcheeseman-uk

This thread was started over 2 years ago, when the original Fine Jewelry Board still existed. The problem started even before then and eBay has not sanctioned these sellers. About all you can do is follow the advice, knowing in the end they will still probably win, take your new knowledge and move on.

Community Member

in reply to roefm
Now I'm really concerned. I just found out that S80 is a fake silver (metal) and I hope that eBay is going to do something about these sellers of fake jewlery and sellers who mislead customers by giving wrong information. I hope eBay is not all about making a buck. I would like to have a response from eBay about this post at ruthc66@hotmail.com. Kind regards, Ruth
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
I have checked out dozens of stores online, and "jewelesco" is simply amazing. Sterling silver .925 only, great gemstone
selection and lapidary/cutting/facetting and excellent soldering and finish work. I think they also do free shipping.
Pricing is fantastic...I buy
a lot of pendants and can get natural
gems,.... From $8.99 to $12,up to $14 to $20...if you prefer a masterpiece!
No lab-created or coloring.
I got my wife an exquisite blue Topaz and Lapis lazuli pendant, added a solid .925 chain and she loved it, but got upset because she a similar piece in a fancy shop... For $800!...okay... $650 for you. My whole costs were less than $19. Unreal!

Community Member

in reply to lcbohmy3760

A big part of the problem of ebay not going after these sellers that are selling fake jewelry is that the last time I called ebay about a problem I asked the Rep where he was and guess what? he was in Asia working at ebay.

Community Member

Re: Seller with beautiful silver

in reply to connie53053
Can you name the seller you mentioned who sells beautiful silver jewelry on eBay?
Community Member

in reply to connie53053

who is the seller on ibay that sells beautiful silver jewelry.  i usually only wer silver.

Community Member

in reply to connie53053

hi would like to know if you could tell me the person you buy from? i would like to order some

Community Member

in reply to llytle45853

YOU ONLY HAVE 250 FEEDBACKC

Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Okay i will bite. Not using HTML though.