eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: S80 Silver?

in reply to harekrishnakabita

Ebay is like anywhere else, you get what you pay for. Why would a seller take less than scrap for a jewelry item? Think about it, and avoid Chinese sellers.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lcbohmy3760

I bought 230 items of jewelry at 12 Chinese sellers, all named Sterling Silver, 925 Sterling Silver, 925 Sterling Silver Filled and even 14K White gold filled. I also bought one S80 silver item. I bought them all with the purpose to investigate what kind of jewelry they are selling. Big business I think.

I gave 12 items to a certified laboratory for full metal analysis. None of the objects contains any silver or gold. All counterfeit, even the stones are made of plastic.

Please use plain text.
lcbohmy3760
Community Member

in reply to connie53053

Just a quick note..as a jewelry store owner...buyer beware..if they are selling an item at less than the scrap rate for precious metal...it is not real. NO one can afford to stay in business selling at a loss! This fact, along with alot of fraud , has prompted me to send video to ebay headquarters of acid testing for several pieces of "stamped" .925 sterling silver that is advertised as sterling...it is plastic...some were a mix of more than 7 alloyes. Hermosa ..who I believe you have purchased from....sold me fake as sterling.I will attach the video for you to see. Most of us use acid because a metalurgist gun runs about $45,000 to purchase, although I have requested and had several pieces shot to find out just how many alloys were mixed in one "sterling silver" piece from China. I tried to attach the video of the acid test, but this site would not allow it , so I am posting the photo of the "green " acid reaction. When it turns green the item tested is not precious metal at all. 

IMG_1592.JPG
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
I have purchased hundreds of items off of eBay and have been very happy with all except 1.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to connie53053

I think the "China issue" here is mainly sellers from China. I would guess that about 80% of all karat gold jewelry with Dias. and colored gemstones are made in either, China or India. Some junk,,,,,, some nice. The sellers from China seem to have found an easy venue to scam with all the loopholes. Not to mention a huge amount of uneducated buyers.

in reply to connie53053

Then your seller is one in a million, and not the norm on Ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to five*sisters

Just replying as to your comment that all jewelry from China is fake.

I know experts here in California that have told me that China is buying up our silver here.

I have found a very reputable seller on e-bay that sells absolutely beautiful sterling silver jewelry at incredible prices.  In fact, I have placed some of it in shops here for sale.  Do not always put a label on China.  Yes, most of what we buy here is junk.  However, in the gem industry there, there are breath-taking pieces of jewelry.  They love beautiful, expensive things too.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: S80 Silver? [vs. real .925 SterlingSilver]

in reply to gk681948

I learned a lot here, and thanks for all the info and tips here..I see no reason to allow the type of silver to stop a person from enjoying a piece of Jewelry they really love..  the Nail Polish remedy is an awesome idea, I WILL try.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to barbdwyer

You are not a nurse, are you?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
To beany120475:
Even if it's not 925 sterling silver, some of the jewelry from China is still very beautiful. If you didn't pay much for if and do not feel you were ripped off for what you received, I don't see why your daughter can't wear the jewelry over a turtleneck or you can coat the earring posts with clear nail polish (the part that goes through her ear). I too, have sensitive skin. I react to nickel, especially when I sweat. I wear fashion jewelry in this way & I don't have any problems with it. I wish you the best. I hope it worked out for you!
Please use plain text.
saiyajinzoningen
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
No matter how it's advertised, if it's coming from China I automatically assume it's fake. No offense to China but I have had too many bad experiences with this to think otherwise.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emerald40
Yes! Ebay's callous and greedy deaf ear.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bwrighttwo
Excellent points, bw!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: S80 Silver? [vs. real .925 SterlingSilver]

in reply to beany120475

The Gemstones used in the Chinese jewelry are usually of very good quality, but the tarnishing of the fake 'silver' ruins it.

Jewelers in the USA can usually re-make any nice piece for a fair price.

I buy SterlingSilver .925 [92.5% pure silver] at outstanding, fair prices fron a very fair and FREE SHIPPING company called "ballisilver' from Israel. They are fantastic and always the '925' is stamped somwhere on a genuine piece.

The Agate semi-precious gemstones [ a lot from Botswana] are now being sold with a hole drilled,when you but a pendant type exquisite stone. There are also easy to use "findings" to put into the stone's hole .....it gives it a more elite look and it's something we  can all do. They're about $2 for 100% solid .925 Sterling Silver piece which gives you a normal triangle to put your pure .925 chain into. 'Ballisilver" has "lots" [like 5 or 10 chains....in the mostcommon sizes>>>16", 18", 20",22",24"....i got that set and the beautiful chains cost me from $3 tp $8 each. They last forever.

Hope this helps. As for Ebay...they leave buyers to the dogs. VERY unhappy 'Buyer' here.

gary

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bonjourami

You think that since they collect fees not only for listing but also final fees for selling the item it would be different. Ebay/PayPal is good at figuring out all of the legal loopholes.

How much money do you think they would lose if they were to get rid of the scammers that sell in volume in order to keep their DSR's above the limit?

in reply to sisterrenee

Because Ebay is a listing venue, much like an ad in the newspaper, they do not fall under the FTC's guidelines for false advertising...but certainly an individual seller that deceives his buyer by claiming an item is sterling silver,when it is only plated,is guilty of false advertising...so feel free to sue any of these sellers that you feel fit the bill. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
Are there not laws against "false advertisement"?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ashle_jeffe

Your seller has a couple of negs for selling fake silver, dont know why anyone would buy from China with all the millions of American sellers on here..though I do understand the 'silver' items are much much cheaper. As long as you understand, that if these items you purchased are not silver, you are required to return them to the seller,on your dime, with delivery confirmation, for proof of delivery to Paypal, before you get a refund.That can get very pricey.

Please use plain text.
volemus
Community Member

in reply to ashle_jeffe

They are a fairly new seller. I do however see a few indications what they sell is not real silver (check the neuts too). That said, I do hope everything goes well for you. If not, wait til your refund clears and neg those bastages....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278
Also 1 AMERICAN DOLLAR IS WORTH $6.75 IN CHINA DOLLARS...
Please use plain text.