eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

S80 Silver?

Some (most) of sellers from (or buying from) China are selling S80 jewelry items as .925 Sterling Silver and it's not at all.  They might not even show S80 anywhere in the description.  S80 (like heavy plated or layered) might even acid test as silver, but the most accurate way of testing is to melt it down and test the specific gravity of the bead that remains (what doesn't burn up).  What's worse is, unwarry buyers who purchase these might resell them as .925 Sterling and never know the differance, so the S80 spreads through the nation and lowers the value of .925/Sterling Silver.  Take the poll and maybe eBay will do something about this problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: S80 Silver?

in reply to jplu4278

Fake silver, fake gold, fake gemstones.  Precious metals are sold based on spot price with a little extra for profit.  There are no bargains out there.  You get what you pay for.

And returning it is not an option because shipping will cost more than the price, which these unscrupulous sellers count on.

People have been complaining since China started flooding ebay.  Even if one name is removed, it is quickly replaced by another.  For the most part ebay turns a deaf ear.

Rule of thumb- block everything coming from that country, as for the most part it is just cheap jewelry with very little value.  And some of the mystery metals may even be dangerous to your health.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

It never ends.

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Good grief, op, you are keeping those Chinese scammers in business..do you even bother checking their negative feedbacks and what they are for? Take any sellers id and go to toolhaus.org and look them up..and as Emerald says..dont buy from China and always check sellers feedback before buying!

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Even if you NEVER buy from China, there's NO guarantee that the seller you buy from didn't buy S80 with his profit in mind.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

No there is not, but reading the negative feedbacks would steer most experienced Ebayers away from those sellers who sell it. You must learn to protect yourself on Ebay, because Ebay is not going to protect you from scammers.

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I do not know what S80 is supposed to mean but I bought some real cheap snake chains described as S80 from China-nothing about sterling or 925 was mentioned but when I got them the connecting tag on each one was stamped 925. Of course that was falsely stamped .

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Did you resell them as .925/Sterling?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I can understand being taken once, but by the feedback the buyer knew in Janurary that there was a problem with sellers from China.  Yet, he/she continued to buy from them over and over again for a month or more. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I guess it is the OP who asked me that silly question. Look- If I resold S80 chains as sterling, would I mention the fact here on this boarrd that I bought some? 

Wonder what S80 means.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Thanks for the answer.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Emerald,  I am new to eBay, but have buying silver for almost 20 years.  I purchased my first lot of silver on eBay in January, recieved it 3 weeks later and tested it a few days later.  Until I found the problem, I won other items.  After I linked S80, to what I was bidding on, I sent that note to sellers I paid.  Five of eight refunded my money, so they knew.  I am trying to do something about this farce, so others don't make the same mistakes I did.  What are you ACTIVLY doing?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

What you are doing is pointless and against Ebay regulations, I see your 'auction' was pulled. As long as a seller meets Ebays criteria with their feedback ratings and dsr's(detailed sellers ratings) they will be allowed to sell here. Those sellers that refunded you simply found you to be a pia, and did not want to deal with you, so they refunded you, then blocked you.

Ebay does not allow one man vigilantes to remain members here, you are setting yourself up to be suspended.The best thing you can do is to stop buying from these sellers. If everybody did that, they would soon be out of business.

And stop being so snarky to regular members in here that help others on a daily basis, that is also not allowed, and you will find yourself reported,your posts will get pulled, and you will be suspended from this forum.This is a help forum,not a silly,useless, vigilante group.

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

P.S. And unless you are a metallugist with a degree, collecting sterling silver does not make you any kind of an 'expert'.

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Thank you, Dee.  I am never judgmental on here as we were all newbies once and made our share of mistakes.  I just try and help people the best I can.  But at a point, you do have to take responsibility for your own actions. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Absolutely, and you are always so helpful in here,you dont deserve to be challenged by a newbie with absolutely no Ebay experience.

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Hi Well i bought this bracelet with s80 from china but don't know if it will turn colors or fade off but will see its not stamp with any thing so hopefully it wont turn in too copper like my other ring omg but at least i got refunded for that ring, I will never buy silver plated stuff thats fur sure cuz that turns in turn in to yellow gold copper iam like omg, so now iam buying sterling silver rings only iam getting tired of the cheap stuff from china hee hee.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I see the op is still buying her jewelry from China,from sellers with horrendous negative feedback..sigh...

DEE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

Anything listed by Chinese sellers on Ebay as 925 or stamped as 925 {sterling} is NOT. Try testing it with acid.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jplu4278

I just received a bracelet in the mail today that I bought on Ebay. It was listed as 925 Sterling and it says 925 Sterling on the piece! I am sure its only plate, how are these sellers (mine was in China) getting away with this? It would take me more money to ship it back, than it cost me to buy it.

Please use plain text.