eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

tkendzior
Community Member

Re: Old Silver Pill Box with 935 mark. What does 935 mean?

in reply to piero22662012
I would add Palestine to the list with Austria, Germany & Switzerland. I have a five panel filligree bracelet 'MADE IN PALESTINE" and 'ST 935' stamped on the back of one panel.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to andymac391

and  Austria

Please use plain text.
lady.ascot
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001
I agree with oupike above the .935 silver standard was used in Germany, Switzerland and Austria especially around the 1920's-1940's. I have a shield on a travel bracelet I am about to sell marked 935 and this particular shield is from Bacharach in Germany. I wouldn't place too much importance in it having the remains of a sticker on it, it may well have been bought as a second hand item.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

I realize this is an old thread, but whenever people do a search, this pops up.. and most of the answers failed to address the actual question.  Yes, it's 93.5% silver... but that does tell us something about its possible origin.  Different countries at different times have had standards for the "fineness" of silver, and the older the piece, the more likely it is to be some oddball (anything but 92.5%) purity.  Austria, Germany, and Switzerland have used .935 as a standard.  A listing of various purity standards and the locations that used them can be found [here]. Some pieces will have hallmarks on them that will give away their origin (and purity standard).  A good resource for that can be found [here] 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to emerald40

Hi

It means the it is higher quality silver than 925   IE:  925  means you have 925 out of a 1000 parts pure silver 

the rest is alloy   if you have 950 that is higher still

935 means you have 935 out of the 1000 parts pure silver

if you had a 1000 parts which is pure silver it would be too soft to work into an item.

So your box has a higher silver content than sterling

Georgia

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

A bit late but,,,, i have the same box except the colours of the enamel on mine are red and light blue, were yours are light blue and red. The dark blue is the same/// I understand the 935 is the silver percentage content for Germany or Switzerland. Do you still have it ?

Please use plain text.
evelyb30
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

I'd have said Austrian from that enamel work, but Swiss is possible. Vienna picked up a lot of Turkish and other influences from the East, so that design would make sense for them.  There's probably no way to be entirely sure.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

Following a tad more research, I found an old watch case that was stamped with 935 and sported two rampant bears as hallmarks. Seems like the Swiss used this as an indicator of the fineness of silver. That sort of rings true with the floral design.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

In the making of enamel work married to sterling silver, it is sometimes necessary to up the ratio of silver to copper from 925 to 935. In UK Assay Offices this will be tested and marked down to 925 as there is no stamp for 935.

Being that the sterling 925 article has been cast before the decorative enamel application, it is a quirk of the process that the enamelling oven temperature must be set to melt the glass and not remelt the silver...somehow a 935 alloy provides for more success.

So that eliminates it being made in the UK. The design is generic and could be from anywhere in Europe...but does seem to have a Moorish influence.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

sterling.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

Yes it qualifies as sterlin. I saw a crusader cross today marked 935 made in Jerusalem. They use anywhere from 900 to 950 on these.

Please use plain text.
brandish1001
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

Thanks you guys.  Now I know that the number is the silver content, not location necessarily.  Now, does this qualify as sterling silver, because of the fact that it's higher grade?

Please use plain text.
adkhighker
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

The 935 mark is most likely the silver content, 935 parts pure silver out of a thousand, a little better than sterling.

I don't know the origin of your box, but quite often in Mexico, for example, there were numerous quality makers who used silver content that was better than 925, sometimes as high as 980 in their items.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

If not stones then enamel done to simulate stones. A lot of enamel work is done in China so why not?

Please use plain text.
brandish1001
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

Thank you lenorep for your answers.  I'm nearly positive that they are not stones at all, but merely enamel, so I think Asia is not where it is from.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001

From the photo the stones look like real turquoise, lapis and coral. If so it might e Chinese. I do not think it would be Austrian with those stones if real.

Since 925 is sterling, maybe it is a bit better. I have had 950 silver items.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to brandish1001
Please use plain text.
brandish1001
Community Member

Old Silver Pill Box with 935 mark. What does 935 mean?

I have this silver pill/stamp box with the mark of "935" on the bottom.  There is no "sterling" mark. I've had it on my dresser for roughly 30 years, but have no recollection of where I obtained it. I may have bought it new, but I'm not certain. Adding to the mystery (and something that tells me that it's not that old) is the fact that there is sticker residue on the bottom, so no help with IDing from that, as it's gone... I've researched/googled, and can't figure out if the 935 tells me the place of origin, or if it tells me the silver content. So, that is my question. If it tells me the place of origin, does anyone know where that might be? From what I've researched, it might be Austria.  Any information on this box would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

5100038478_aPill1.JPG
5100038479_aPillBoxStamp.jpg
Please use plain text.