eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Is sterling silver ALWAYS marked with "sterling" or "925"?

Hi,

I purchased a large lot of jewelry from Macy's & JC Penney's on liquidation.com, and the manifest indicated that the silver necklaces were all sterling silver.

When I received them, none of them were marked "sterling" or "925" on the flat part of the clasp that holds the necklace together, or anywhere else on the necklaces for that matter.

Could the necklaces still be sterling silver without being marked as such?

How can I tell for sure? I already cleaned them in jewelry polish and they didn't tarnish, but shone more brightly. How can I test them to know for sure whether or not they're sterling silver?

Thanks,

Erika
theauctionguru
Please use plain text.
discountcollectables
Community Member

Re: Is sterling silver ALWAYS marked with "sterling" or "925"?

in reply to 1sgiese
Most modern commercially made jewelry should have a hallmark. There are other marks that represent silver besides 925 and sterling though. There are also different contents of silver besides 925. An easy process of elimination is to stick a magnet to the jewelry proclaimed to be sterling. If it sticks, then it's most definitely NOT sterling. The mag not sticking does not guarantee that it is silver though. There are methods for testing sterling, like adding a drop of nitric acid and checking for identifiable colors like red after the acid is applied. For me though, I've handled so much silver that I rely on my eyes to tell me whether it's silver or not. Sounds like you might have been scammed. Was it a seller from China? Can you get a refund?
*~*~*~Stacey~*~*~*
Please use plain text.
discountcollectables
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
silver polish does not tarnish the silver, it causes it to shine more brightly. Be careful about using the wrong polish though, because it can damage the silver. Perhaps you're not seeing the hallmarks? On lobster claw clasps, there is usually a tiny 925 mark on the locking mechanism.
*~*~*~Stacey~*~*~*
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
it should be hallmarked, maybe the hallmark is very small, look at the clasp and the surrounding links.
Any jeweller you ask will test it for free in a few seconds. Anyway, as silver is no unexpensive compared to gold, I do not see any reason for a retailer to loose its reputation selling a fake silver chain.

Daniel
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
The answer to the question is...................... There are No requirements in the U.S.A. that precious metal jewelry be marked for content.
Please use plain text.
discountcollectables
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
Holly, sorry but you're wrong. Precious metals ARE by law (since the late 19th century) required to be marked in the U.S.
*~*~*~Stacey~*~*~*
Please use plain text.
discountcollectables
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
To verify, please refer to the Gold and Silver Stamping Act of 1906
*~*~*~Stacey~*~*~*
Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
The law in the US is that you don't have to mark jewelry with any mark at all. But if you stamp it 14K, 18K, 925, or some other fineness mark, then you must also stamp it with your trademark.
Please use plain text.
discountcollectables
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
I stand corrected. but it is a generally accepted practice to disclose if something is genuine and what the content is.
*~*~*~Stacey~*~*~*
Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
Right. A major store would certainly want the jewelry they sell to be stamped, unless their merchandise buyer slipped up and didn't pay attention.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
a seller doesn't have to stamp their jewelry ,but there are laws to protect the consumer and so stamping is the best way to control misrepresentation either on purpose or by accident of purity content.
Please use plain text.
lehman-parker
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
If they are sterling, maybe they were being liquidated because they weren't stamped? Just a thought...

Pat

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
― Plato
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
i would contact the selling company.Very little if any of the sterling jewelry that is sold in the department stores mentioned is made in the united states and in the many years Ive been in the trade have i seen mass production jewelry never stamped for purity.Its mandatory that imported jewelry items have metal purity stamped on it and place of manufacture either stamped on it or a tag placed on it.I think either the stamps are not visible or they are from the costume jewelry department.Most of the chain bought for the American market is made in Italy,Canada,Turkey and some from Israel and china.But most is Italian made and stamped for purity and location.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1sgiese
Try using ZAM on a cotton shop rage from Wal-Mart automotive, this will put a mirror shine on ANY metal cleaning off the oxidation. It even works to buff scratches out of softer stones like turquoise too. A miracle polish, lol.
Please use plain text.