eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Is Navajo jewelry ever marked with 925 only?

This may have been covered in another thread.

But I would appreciate heraring any comments again. I just got a vintage cuff bracelet that looks Navajo or maybe Mexican but is marked only 925 and nothing else.  Actually it is pretty simple ins tyle and I suppose it could be from another country.

The only stone is set in a bezel with fine twisted rope around it like a bezel setting in Navajo jewelry typically is.

As I said the only mark is 925, impressed into the silver.

Please use plain text.
cashintradin
Community Member

Re: Is Navajo jewelry ever marked with 925 only?

in reply to mstcwrld7

The stamp .925 is represents the precentage of silver used to make the item, ie: 925% silver,  Navajo is simply the name of the tribe of native americans who are known to make jewelry and in reality could make jewelry from any purity of metal, Mexican silver is usually 750% much lower than the .925% sterling.

Remember, anyone can purchase a 925 stamp and make a fake but if it is indeed 925% silver I would think the item originated in New Mexico or Arizona. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7

It is 925 sterling; I verified that by testing it.  That is not my question;  I am trying to verify the ethnic origin of the piece.

925 sterling is used by many jewelry makers in countries besides the USA and Native Americans.  Also a lot of Mexican jewelry is sterling and marked 925.

As soon as I have time to take a picture of this piece I will post it here.

My impression is that Native American makers mark their pieces with the word Sterling instead of the numeral 925.   Does anyone on this board have any input on that?

;

Please use plain text.
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7

I can't remember ever seeing 925 used on NA pieces, they use the word sterling.  Not to say it's impossible but highly unlikely.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7

I myseft have always found that fabricated Mexican Taxco jewelry with the makers mark always to be 925 and sometimes higher and marked with the content.

I have never seen a piece of Navajo jewelry marked 925. If marked it will be stamped sterling. Much imitation NA jewelry made in Thailand is marked 925 with no country of origin stamped. Buyers are generally leary of 925 Navajo style stamped jewelry for good reasom.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7

That's what I thought. It would be a pretty piece with a minor repair, , but if it's not NA I will probably scrap it instead when the silver price gets high enough.  .Thanks for the input.

Please use plain text.