eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

volemus
Community Member

Re: How accurate is a Presidium Gem Tester?

in reply to bojibelle

I knew I was exhausted so I didn't want to touch it either.

Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

in reply to bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo wrote:

carols5294 wrote:

.  Lab created gemstones are identical to natural gemstones in every way except they are flawless.  That's the only way a gemologist can tell the difference in lab-grown and natural.

Uh Oh......Hanging curve ball.  Can't wait to see who jumps on this.

I'm not touching it.  I've tried way to many times to explain natural, synthetic, lab-created and simulated and what the tester will and won't test.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carols5294

carols5294 wrote:

.  Lab created gemstones are identical to natural gemstones in every way except they are flawless.  That's the only way a gemologist can tell the difference in lab-grown and natural.

Uh Oh......Hanging curve ball.  Can't wait to see who jumps on this.

Community Member

in reply to elias11

This tester will tell you if a stone is a diamond or Moissinate but none in this price range will tell you the difference between the two.  You will also get a slightly lower reading for sapphire, ruby or emerald.  I use one very frequently and it's reliable if you calibrate it properly.  If a stone is synthetic, you will not get a reading or signal.  If it's natural or lab-grown, you will get a signal.  Lab created gemstones are identical to natural gemstones in every way except they are flawless.  That's the only way a gemologist can tell the difference in lab-grown and natural.

Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

in reply to vintage-memories

vintage-memories wrote:

Can you suggest how to keep it calibrated, please.

Read the directions

Please use plain text.
vintage-memories
Community Member

I enjoyed your explanation... I'll give my tester another try. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
vintage-memories
Community Member

in reply to pan2roc

Can you suggest how to keep it calibrated, please.

Please use plain text.
vintage-memories
Community Member

in reply to elias11

When I purchased my gem tester and first used it I was very dissapointed.  The only good reading I got was on the diamonds.  Also, it identified "glass", which was helpful. I did not realized it detected synthetic stones.  I am thinking of selling it and I'm sure I will not get the same price I paid for it...too bad...I should have researched it a little better. 

Please use plain text.
vintage-memories
Community Member

in reply to wharper

I use the MIZAR diamond tester and like it very well.  I have had it for ages and always carry it in my purse.  One never knows when one will have the opportunity to see some "gems" and hope they are diamonds. I use mine all the time

Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

in reply to bclear0693

No, they do not have a test rating for opal.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

You are very knowleagable about these testers.  Can you tell me if a tester can tell opal from quartz?  Or opal from glass?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

in reply to rixstuff

Yes, the  Presidium doesn function as a diamond tester.  As far as CZ and glass, I don't think it does, both will register as glass.

If you are only concerned with diamond testing there are other testers that work great for that and cost less.

Please use plain text.
rixstuff
Community Member

in reply to elias11

elias11 wrote:
Unfortunately, any gem tester will not separate natural gemstones from their synthetic counterparts. (a synthetic sapphire that costs $20.00 will test the same as a natural sapphire that's worth $2,000.00).

In my opinion, these testers have a very limited capability, and are practically useless for positive gem identification.

Elias

Perhaps but it WILL tell me a CZ from glass from a real diamond.  Thats all I need to know.

Please use plain text.
bojibelle
Community Member

in reply to abddi.abddi

There is NO machine that is 100% accurate in testing gemstones whether rough or cut.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to beachbum8167

We are a Registered Rays Mining & General Trading Company in Africa particularly in East Africa & Horn of Africa and we are supplier for Rough Gemstones, Sand mixed with Gold - etc. We are looking for an accurate Machine for testing Rough Gems 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to no1engr

Yes, Sapphires (Corundum) comes all colors, wh, gr, bl, ye, bl, pk, or, gr\bl rd (Rubies.)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to trlosi
white sapphires?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jewelscollectingdust

Hello,

I was looking the presidium gem tester online and it directed to your article.  I have a refractometer and have been collecting for 35yrs.  In my opinion this is just a more portable refractometer, as it work about the same, maybe a llittle better..  It is a tool to make sure you do not have glass or a quartz based copy.
I had someone use the tester on a few pieces of my jewelry and it was all over the place. I actually knew what the pieces were but wanted to check and see if this tester would be easier than ,y refractometer.  I left feeling the person did not have a clue about gemstones.

Thank you for the information.

Ann

Please use plain text.
pre1840lorraine
Community Member

in reply to stncutr

stncutr wrote:

Thank you for your informative comments.

I am interested to know whether or not this tester can be used on gemstone rough.

Thank you.

Yes, but Like I said earlier, it can not say without a doubt what it is, it can only give you an idea and the hardness of the stone. It takes more than just this instrument to know 100% what the gemstones are. It can rule out glass but that is about all 100%.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you for your informative comments.

I am interested to know whether or not this tester can be used on gemstone rough.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.