eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

1/20-12k gold rope chain

I am not familiar with this mark. Usually there is a "GF" after the karat mark. Anyone know why this is not so in this case?
Thanks in advance!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: 1/20-12k gold rope chain

in reply to sathya7
Because they are telling you exactly what it is. the 1/20 12KT is really the same or better than saying 12KT GF. You know it is 1/20th gold of 12KT.

mc
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sathya7
The term 1/20 or 1/10 10K, 12K, 14K has to deal with the government regulation of the amount of gold that must be in a piece of jewelry. I have copied and pasted the definition from ebay guides below. I hope that this answers your question. If not just google gold filled and their will be numerous hits explaining the what gold filled actually means.

Gold filled items are regulated by the government. These items are therefore so much better then gold plated which has no regulations at all. Gold filled jewelry is made from solid gold and filled with other alloys such as rhodium (a member of the platinum family), brass, and sterling silver. Gold filled wears, looks and lasts like solid gold because its outer surface IS solid gold. Everything you can see and touch is pure gold. In the jewelry industry the quantity of gold must be at least 1/20th by weight of the total product.

Thanks
Patrick
Please use plain text.
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to sathya7
That's a rather confusing description since gold filled isn't solid gold, which would be gold through to the core, but plated in gold, even if it is heavier than normal plate.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sathya7
I am so sorry for not thanking you for all of the info! somehow I didnt get any notes from Ebay, I just assumed noone answered!
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Patrick and MC!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sathya7
sathya, you are more than welcome.

People on this this board try to help.

I'm happy this cleared up your question about GF gold.

mc
Please use plain text.