eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
otbgal
Community Member

e-packet delivery from China?

and from Hong Kong.  When did those appear as shipping method options?  have I been asleep for a while?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: e-packet delivery from China?

in reply to otbgal

Why is this not being offered to American merchants as well?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

The U.S. Postal Service has initiated a new service with Hong Kong Post that is structured to foster growth in e-commerce. The new ePacket service expands the array of options offered to e-commerce merchants in Hong Kong seeking to reach consumer markets in the United States. The ePacket shipping solution features tracking and Delivery Confirmation in the Postal Service network for lightweight goods and merchandise ordered by consumers in the United States from merchants in Hong Kong.

ePacket service offers consumers in the U.S. and e-commerce merchants in Hong Kong with in-process scanning information and Delivery Confirmation notification available through Hong Kong Post's tracking system and through Track and Confirm at usps.com.

Please use plain text.
otbgal
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Thanks for that answer.. that's  info i was looking for

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

The U.S. Postal Service has initiated a new service with Hong Kong Post that is structured to foster growth in e-commerce. The new ePacket service expands the array of options offered to e-commerce merchants in Hong Kong seeking to reach consumer markets in the United States. The ePacket shipping solution features tracking and Delivery Confirmation in the Postal Service network for lightweight goods and merchandise ordered by consumers in the United States from merchants in Hong Kong.

ePacket service offers consumers in the U.S. and e-commerce merchants in Hong Kong with in-process scanning information and Delivery Confirmation notification available through Hong Kong Post's tracking system and through Track and Confirm at usps.com.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Why is this not being offered to American merchants as well?

Because we already have delivery confirmation and tracking available on packages inside (and some forms outside of) the United States when shipping through the post office.

For FREE if you print postage online.

Unless you're somehow employing Hong Kong Post as your original shipper?

http://stores.ebay.com/dinah-dolls-market-stall

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

oh i can see how it affects us....

more items with item locations in the USA, that are actually in HK.

they made it easier for those type of sellers.

I don't see how it has anything to do with misleading item locations...all it does, really, is tie the HKP and USPS tracking systems together so that the e-packets are trackable at what I'm assuming is a cheaper cost than previously available trackable services.

http://stores.ebay.com/dinah-dolls-market-stall

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

The ePacket rate is cheaper than USPS Frist Class Rate (with delivery confirmation). I have requested our President Mr. Obama to initiate a talk between USPS and eBay to see if it is possible to offer same ePacket to US sellers. In the meantime, I will email my request to USPS headquarter too. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Thanks for the link.... I was thinking "some new scam?"

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

I've been wondering how it's possible for Chinese eBay sellers to offer free shipping on items that cost less than it would cost me *just* to ship it.  I'm glad I finally woke up and asked the question, but now that I know, I'm pretty upset...

The nutshell version:

http://shippingsidekick.com/news.wml?id=450

More details here:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m08/i31/s02

This is like a subsidy, in that it increases trade in only one direction, but it was instituted by OUR postal service - and eBay.

Hello, China - where's the low-cost shipping solution for US and AU merchants?  Is it any wonder that USPS is losing money hand over fist?  What are USA merchants supposed to do when all their customers start buying online direct from Hong Kong-?!

It's going to affect us all.  The USA already does not manufacture a lot of everyday items (like clothes).  Now, we no longer need to buy them at the mall - just buy from your iPhone (made in China), and have stuff delivered.  Fewer distributors, containers shipped into our ports, merchants, malls, clerks...  Those are JOBS that Americans do to put food on their tables.

I like HK stuff too - but we must have a level playing field.  Hooray for the USPS new technology - now make them pay the same rates we do!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

What are we now subsidizing China and HK with our Postal Service. Here I am looking to save on postage and see China & HK can ship for FREE. I don't want to hear the postal service is losing so much money every day. Charge the same rate I have to pay, that would add up to a small fortune every day. Contact the Postmaster General about this abuse of the American public. Enough is enough.

Please use plain text.
retromonde
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Has anybody noticed the PM General and our fearless leader share the same last name? Interesting coincidence.

Sandra

Please use plain text.
staxem
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

how do you track those deliveries? wheres the main tracking site?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

This whole thing is total BS. I can only ship upto 13 oz by USPS First Class Mail but they can ship up to 2.2 K (4,4 LB). Did the introduction of this coincide with Ebay saying that First Class Mail is now "standard" rather than "Expedited" shipping ?

I would love to see what they pay compared to our First Class rates.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Why do they need you debit card nuber though?
Shouldn't that be kept private?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

This is just Hong Kong, not all of China! Most Chinese can't even go to Hong Kong so this just really helps HK and also Shenzhen where select chinese citizens and foreigners can walk across the border to take advantage of the low rate.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

USPS answered this question on their site...

http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2011/pr11_037.htm

"ePacket service offers consumers in the U.S. and e-commerce merchants in Hong Kong with in-process scanning information and Delivery Confirmation notification available through Hongkong Post’s tracking system and through Track and Confirm at usps.com."

Please use plain text.
otbgal
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

Oy.. do  people who comment not read .. at all?  and 8 months later.  The people on this board really do crack me up.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

This is terrible for my ebay business!!!!

If they can make(or buy) it over there cheaper and ship it to USA cheaper than USPS first class mail, they can by far be the low cost provider for a given commodity.    Before, the high cost of overseas postage protected me from foreign competition!  Not anymore!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to otbgal

checking on my order

Please use plain text.