cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant on selling clothing

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Rant on selling clothing

@urdi27 wrote:

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Sell slow - meaning few items.  Concentrate on every peice of info that you have on that item.  Welcome questions.  Do NOT offer returns.  Do NOT seek eBay discounts, just sell your stuff for what you want for it or don't sell it at all.  

It is NOT true that you have to take returns on everything you sell.  You can turn that off your listings.  Just know your turnover will be a lot slower and painstaking per client but if you aren't here for rapid profit but to clearout you closets, then do it my way as it works.  Slooooooowly.  

There are some things that have rapid turnover because they are cheap when used like baby supplies.  Women's clothing is not like that unless it is work related or the people have caviar dreams on a beer budget and want to mess with sellers.  The LAST thing to be on eBay is needy or you will get eaten alive by the sharks.

This is the attitude of someone who is not doing this as a business.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 42 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Rant on selling clothing

Of course I don't responde like this to the Buyers, these are only my "rant thoughts".

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi urdi27!!

I don't know what other sellers have experienced, I can only tell you of my own experiences and thoughts -- I have been selling here for almost 12 years and I AVOID and do NOT LIKE selling clothing -- this is just me remember, but I have literally racks of beautiful expensive clothing that my elderly mother in law wants me to sell for her (items that cost a few hundred a piece) but I will not touch yet as it is so tedious and the return rate and type of buyers that are attracted to second hand eBay discount clothing, usually know the return procedures --- so 

My simple advice is find something else to sell!! Honestly, selling clothing now on eBay is almost on par to selling personal electronics (phones, etc) HIGH scam, high complant , high returns and high defects!!!

So, I do feel for you, but I am finding my sucessful niche elsewhere -- far, far way from (ladies) clothing!!

Honestly due to the rate of returns, find something else to sell  -- clothing is oversaturated and a risky category imho!!

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

I don't mind selling some clothing. Sweaters, jackets and a few dresses. I have never had a return on clothing. I usually sell the hard to find stuff. The used clothing has to be something unusual and new has to be branded otherwise it sits on the shelf.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 4 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

gopetersen
Rockstar

I can't even have dryer sheets in the house. Way too strong for me. If one is downstairs, I can smell it from upstairs and around the corner so strongly, it distracts me and I have to put it outside.

When I was a kid, I could smell my mom cooking onions when I was about three houses away (on my way home from school from extracurricular activities). I knew it was her, rather than one of the neighbors (who also sometimes cooked onions around that time) because of the combination of smells.

I guess I'm sensitive to smells. I prefer not to receive dryer sheets.

It does sound like you put a good effort into your packing.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Thank you Ladies for your advices. 

I have ended most of the clothing listings, leaving only "the used unusual and new branded", also raised prices.

If someone is really looking for exactly this piece, they will be glad to find it here. If not, then it is fine as well.

Still have tons of new or like new clothes, mostly Scandinavian brands and most never worn.

Will be listing these on CL - low prices, no shipping hassle, no fees, meeting on a parking lot in day light, if you like it then cash please, and done.

What does not sell, will be donated in a short process and without compromising myself to please a scammer.

Here on eBay will list more of designer collectibles, mostly vintage and hard to find stuff that can sit on eBay for a while looking "hot and sex"y (hehe, no real authentic stuff). 

Still find it stunning though, as I have sold some expensive jewerly here and that was the time I was afraid of being scammed, but no, only nice Buyers, even made a couple friends and repeat Buyers to whom offered nice discounts.

Could be I was just lucky. 

Anyway, lesson learned, thanks!

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

So how did you survive during fårikål season?

(Did I guess right you are svensk? I am from Norway)

Thank you, I will stop adding the dryer sheets, you have a point there.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Jeg er født her i Pacific Northwest maend jeg kan forstar, laese og tale lidt (meget lidt) af Dansk, Svensk, Norsk (ikke så meget Islandsk, måske med en ordbog), Tysk og Fransk. Jeg kan ogsa laese lidt Italiensk, Hollandsk, Russisk, Spansk og Koreansk, maend ikke så meget. Jeg hører kun Engelsk i dette sted og kender ikke andre som er interesseret i sprog.

Jeg har reist med tog gjennom Europa fra Norge til Hellas og blev i ungdomsherberger i Bergen og Oslo. Da jeg ventede på Bergen toget i Oslo stasjonen kom en mand gennem døren synge opera, og han var faktisk meget godt! Jeg har også reist med bil rundt Danmark.

De må undskyld meg hvis staevningen er dårlig. Jeg naesten aldrig får en chance for at studere og jeg kaender Dansk beder end jeg kender Norsk grammatik og stavning.

I was thinking, since they are so strong-odored, perhaps one dryer sheet can be cut into four pieces. Perhaps that would be enough without being too strong.

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Å herregud dette var herlig! Skrivinga di er kjempefin den, og det var ikke noe problem å forstå det du skrev.

Du kan være stolt av deg selv, spesielt med tanke på at du er født her i Statene.

Jeg er fra Ålesund (ikke langt fra Bergen), kom til Florida i slutten av 2008, sammen med min mann. Han var amerikansk og han likte seg ikke i lille stille Norge.

Really impressed and it's so fun  to read some familiar words! Haven't met many people from Scandinavia here in Florida.

There was one lady I met once, she was born in Norway but she didn't remember much of the language.

You are right, it might have been ignorant of me just assuming everybody will be happy when their recently purchased clothing arrives smelling like ocean breeze dryer sheets. I for myself don't like receiving other people's home smell together with something purchased on eBay, thus the assumption. 

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

I think that clothing, especially women's clothing is a tough market to sell anywhere. How many things do women try on to find that right outfit for the special event? I try on a lot of clothing. It is not unusual for me to hit the changing rooms with 10 or more items. If they all fit I will buy them all but I usually only buy one or two items. Even though I know the manufacturer, some things still do not work.

Selling shoes and womens clothing you should expect returns. That's why Zappos and other stores are set up that way. It's unrealistic to think otherwise.

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

OP, that was entertaining.  Especially the "doesn't feet" part.  😄

I looked at your listings, and while for the most part they look OK, perhaps the following would reduce the number of overexpectant customers.

- change NWOT to pre-owned.  After all, an item without tags sold as New tends to give customers more reason to examine it really carefully to see if there are any signs of use, and complain

- don't use stock photos.  By displaying the garment that way, you're definitely overselling the look, and inflating expectations

- some of your listings for a brand new dress have "Super comfortable!" in the description.  How could you know that a dress was super comfortable unless you'd spent some time in it?  Again, this wording gives buyers leverage if they decide they want to return it on your dime.

I wish you the best, and I like your conclusion.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Clothes are such a PITA, but they do sell. Clothing "breathes" it can certainly absorb household odors from cooking etc over time. 

I noticed while working in a thrift store that any mild odors tend to dissipate when large groups of clothing are hung together, they absorb and vent as temp & humidity change. That's the reason "airing out" clothing works outdoors, it's just an accelerated process.

I keep my clothing in a separate shop in my backyard. It was a small home office at one time so it's carpeted and sheet rocked. I have about 500 pieces of clothing out there at any given time on commercial dress racks I picked up at a thrift store. I ventilate the room periodically to give them fresh air to absorb. It works. Also, I wash all my clothing (also kept in the same room) in Tide with Febreeze, the stuff's wonderful. The fragrance would be too strong for some buyers so I don't wash the "sale" clothing in it, but my clothing is close enough that it transfers a barely perceptable fresh scent to the clothing in the same room. 

The complaint with the dress shorter in back then in front - I purchased a couple of different mannequins. I usually use all 12 photos to show all views of an item so the buyer can't claim something like this. Also important, especially with vintage clothing to do the "light test"  to check for any small holes or thinning of fabric that you cannot readily see. Use a lint roller and get rid of any hair or lint just before photographing. When done photographing - fold it up and store it where it can't pick up any additional pet hair or lint.  Disclose any flaw with a close up photo and description if you're going to offer it for sale. Lay a pen or pencil pointing right at the flaw so they can see it and the approx size. 

Just wanted to share a few tips. Maybe someone will  benefit :). It's a ton of work but who needs the headache of a sale gone South?

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Selling clothes on ebay is an uphill battle, no matter how cheap or how nice your items are.

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

clothing is for yard sales/fleamarkets
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please
Message 14 of 77
latest reply

Rant on selling clothing

Add me to those who despise selling clothes (I do have some, BUT PITA is right!) Buyer expecttations are through the roof and if something goes wrong I find clothing buyers the most demanding and downright pitchy (subsitute "B" for that p, LOL.) That said, I follow some sellers that are literally selling thousands of dollars a week in used clothing, personally my blood pressure couldn't handle it.

Message 15 of 77
latest reply