cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identifying fake or authentic Estee Lauder

RE:  182765602540 

I ended this listing because I had just sold (by accident and ignorance) a used bottle of fake COCO Chanel.  Luckily the buyer who I trusted to know, was very nice and I gave her an immediate refund.  But because I did not want to make the same mistake twice, I ended my listing for this bottle of Vintage Estee Lauder Super Cologne Splash.   I then took it to a Macy's Store and a sales rep told me the Estee Lauder was also a fake.  She could tell by the bottle, she said. 

However, I have studied the active and sold listings of this Splash bottle and what I am seeing looks just like my bottle (which I bought at a Tag sale).  I am including a few pics here but there are more on the actual listing (#182765602540).  If real, I would like to sell it but like I said, I do not want to ever inadvertently sell a fake again.  Please tell me how to tell a fake from the real thing?  Do I have to have personal knowledge of each fragrance to know for sure or take each one to Macy's? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It looks fine and a counter person would not be that familiar with vintage. As far as I know Estee Lauder was not counterfitted.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I can understand why counterfeiting Coco by Chanel would be profitable but... Estée by Estée Lauder?   Loyal following perhaps but, even in its heyday, it wasn't a big seller.   I worked there in the 1970s; don't remember that bottle and you don't give size but looks like the kind of thing that would be included in a GWP or PWP.   I'd be pretty confident yours is genuine -- and, on the off change it isn't, one of the still-loyal Estée customer searching for old stock will let you know.  If it is, they'll be delighted to find a full bottle.  

Debora

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for taking time to reply to me.  It is 2 fl oz.  I guess another concern I have is with it being a splash bottle vs. a spray.  It  has a nice, lingering smell but in that type of bottle, wouldn't it be very easy to substitute the fragrance?  Maybe I am being overly paranoid --  I REALLY felt bad to learn I had sold a fake.  The going price seems to be in the $60's for a pre-owned bottle like mine.  Maybe the next time out, I will take it back into Macy's to see if I get a 2nd opinion. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

There are other examples of Estée for Estée Lauder Super Cologne Splashs to be found on the internet.  Do an image search.   And no counter person is going to be able to tell you that your vintage bottle is authentic.   That's beyond the scope of their training.

Debora

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It looks fine and a counter person would not be that familiar with vintage. As far as I know Estee Lauder was not counterfitted.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank all of you so much.  Perhaps I will relist it because at every angle, I do not see that anything is wrong with it.  Great forum here, it is nice to know there is a place to turn to for advice.  Peggy

Message 6 of 6
latest reply