eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
roger9345
Community Member

Delivery Confirmed - But Not Delivered

Buyer states that he never received the package. Delivery confirmation shows that the package was delivered. Value of item was $121.00 so signature confirmation was not used. Package was insured with eBay's ship cover. Buyer seems like an honest person. I don't believe he is trying to scam me. Where do we each stand? Can I be held responsible for loss even though delivery confirmation proves that it was delivered? Will insurance pay for a so-called "lost" package when delivery confirmation exists?

I hate to see the buyer take a loss. But I don't think I should eat this loss either.
Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

Re: Delivery Confirmed - But Not Delivered

in reply to roger9345
The buyer should go to the post office and ask about the package, or talk to the mailman if they can catch him on his route, he may have hidden the package on the porch, in the bushes, etc.

The insurance you purchased only covers the item if it's lost or broken in transit, once it shows as delivered you can't say it's lost.

If the buyer opens an item not received complaint, you can insert the delivery confirmation number into the dispute, if it shows delivered, you will win the dispute.

If the post office says it was delivered, then it was delivered, It may have been stolen off the porch, if so, the buyer would have to contact their home owners insurance company and inquire if it was covered.

Be polite and sympathetic to your buyer, if they insist that you refund, just explain that the DC shows as delivered, and you are not liable for the loss of the package.
“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345
ROGER..

You are completely protected by the Delivery Confimation that shows item was delivered (somewhere in that zip code.)

So--you do not have to refund.

You might also suggest to the buyer that he asks neighbors who may have taken delivery---and forgot to tell the buyer. Also buyer should ask baby sitters or anyone in the house at the time of delilvery.

(Husbands have been know to take packages and put them in a "safe" place---like a coat closet---and then forget all about telling their wives. :smileysurprised::^O)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345
From the buyer's perspective this situation proves that sending item insured with the shipper is a better idea than through other means. Sure seller seems to be off the hook but the buyer is not happy (and rewards some thief or badly operating shipper, giving them incentive to do it again). At least with shippers insurance both parties could be happy since no one has to take the loss (plus makes shipper more reliable by making them responsible for delivering the packages properly)

I found this thread because I'm in buyer's situation. It appears delivery confirmation actually is working against the buyer. In addition, It appears, when package gets lost seller can claim insurance and still does not have to reimburse the buyer (since tracking shows delivered)

Interestingly, ebay protection requires signature confirmation on items >$250 seemingly acknowledging deficiency of delivery confirmation alone.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

USPS mail with DC is ALWAYS scanned at my door by the carrier. Both being delivered and being picked up. That includes Express, Priority and First Class.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

@historichomehardware

This is not generally true.  My package had tracking showing delivery confirmation but I didn't receive it.  The post office investigation showed it was delivered to the wrong address, not even on my carrier's route.  I'm appealing the first decision against me (because DC was provided by the seller) but not sure which way it will go.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

In the buyer's situation right now. Have a PO Box and DC shows that a notice was left. No notice was left and the PO can't find my package. This has happened before on a very cheap item, so I didn't worry about it. This time the item is NOT cheap (but not over $250, so no Signature Confirmation).

I'm sure I won't get reimbursement from anyone (seller, PayPal, eBay, or even insurance) on this item if my PO can't find the package.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I am facing the same problem!!  I ordered two packages shipped by the same seller and item tracking record states item delivered but NO PACKAGES.  I have no idea what to do and contacting seller to see what is our next step.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

That is very true.  They make plenty of mistakes with mail.  I have received my neighbors package that I have returned but in my case this time.  I have not heard anything since my package was delivery confirmation status is delivered but no package.  It's quite frustrating since the items were not cheap.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I made an order two weeks ago that tracking shows has been delivered. I never received the package. I realize this is not the fault of the seller. And unless the post office figures out where they actually delivered the package and then are able to get the package back, I will eat the cost. I've enjoyed buying on Ebay and have not had a problem up until this point. However, I will not make further purchases unless the buyer makes available signature required delivery.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

In your situation right now. Package shipped with DC and marked delivered. Package not there and there was no record of having put it in a locker on the date it arrived. Asked for a letter stating that and was refused. PM said that a package was placed in locker two days BEFORE mine and that because I hadn't picked it up until 4 days after that they had put my second package in with the first. Problem one...we go to the PO every day...how did we miss a key in our box for four days? Second, instead of placing my second package in an entirely different locker they put it in the locker for which they had obviously put the key in someone else's box. Because they did that I lost TWO packages. They refuse to admit responsibility...no surprise (they also conveniently do not have cameras on the locker area so they don't have to be held accountable). Ebay denied my claim even though I have 100% feedback, never had a dispute in all the years I have been with them....but they take the word of a poorly run, lying, thieving PO that cannot prove they put my second package in a locker on the date it was received. Don't count on the Ebay Purchase Protection....big lie. Oh, and I also lost big bucks on the package $249 (seller conveniently made sure he didn't have to provide signature confirmation and he didn't include insurance and didn't give me that option). AND it was my one Christmas present so my Christmas was not bright OR merry.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I just had the same happen. Once it is labeled as delivered the seller will not be held accountable and neither will the PO even though they are the ones that lost them. And if you are counting on eBay to honor the Purchase Protection don't hold your breath because they side with the PO no matter how long you have been with them nor how clean your records is with them. I have been with them for years now with 100% positive feedback with no disputes and they still say I got my package and that the PO didn't give it to someone else.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I'm having a similar problem.  But the package says "delivered" but it was delivered to another state.  I don't even know how to go about contacting the post office from another state!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

Ebay package sent USPS first class and I still haven't received it two and a half weeks after it was confirmed delivered. The Post Office has tried to be helpful once, so now I've gone back to them again. Seller said too bad, so sad and from what I'm reading Ebay will side with the seller and usps. I'm out $22 on my very first eBay order. I guess I'm lucky compared to most. Wow, so frustrating!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I just had the same problem. I would have thought if the tracking says delivered then it would be delivered. NOT SO.  A buyer contacted me and said he was expecting the package but it had not arrived. He looked at tracking and it said "delivered". He contacted me. I described the package. he talked to his carrier and the carrier said he did not handle a package with that description. I figured all was lost.  Later the same day a different usps employee came to his door with the package and said he found it in his bulk mail. 

no idea how that happened.    

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

Always use Signature Confirmation when you ship something of value that you are not willing to take a loss on.

As you have found, "delivered" doesn't mean the parcel went to its recipient.

At least with a Signature, you have a good place to begin looking.

Please use plain text.
modfreak
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I've been doing eBay since 1997 and have 100 stories of USPS mishaps I have had to endure because of them.   Both as a buyer and a seller.  The USPS has a "do whatever they want and get away with it" badge and no matter who you complain to, you won't get anywhere and you won't be able to make it stop happening, either.  Here's a situation I had recently....I shipped a pair of Coach boots I sold and paid for signature confirmation and insured them through ShipCover, even though they were under $250 because the buyer was new with 0 feedback.   Over a week later, the delivery confirmation said "out for delivery" and the "notice left" and 3 weeks later, I get a status email notification about the item being returned if not picked up.   I gave free shipping (at $15+) and sent expensive boots to a buyer who registered on the day they bought them, bought my boots and nothing else on eBay at all but my boots (that always makes me suspicious)....and when I tried to get their contact info to call them about the boots since they would not answer any emails, eBay indicated that buyer wasn't confirmed on eBay so they could not provide the info.   So I called eBay and told them that story and they gave me the buyer's phone number.   I made eBay stay on the phone while I called the buyer and she answered.  Turned out she got the boots weeks ago...and the post office never made her sign for them so tracking to this day still says "notice left".   I have no physical proof of delivery.  The eBay customer support rep heard the whole conversation so I was lucky that it worked out for me THAT TIME but it wasn't the first time I've had something like that happen and it surely won't the last unless I quit doing eBay altogether, which I am giving serious thought to doing.   I called the P.O. in buyer's town in CA and they looked up the tracking number and said they would look for the package and call me back - they never did, they just blew me off because they know someone there screwed up since the package, of course, was not there - it was delivered.  w/o getting the signature confirmation I paid an extra $2.10 to obtain.    So I paid for a service the USPS did not provide and if I go to the post office to complain, they tell me that because I purchased the postage online, I have to go through the place where I purchased the postage for reimbursement.   Anyone ever try to go through eBay/Paypal shipping to get reimbursed for postage after they failed to perform?   I think when you send them a message, it gets delivered to the black hole in outer space.  I have NEVER gotten a reply or my money back and have lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars on postage disasters because of the USPS - they are licensed to steal and no one in the system gives a crap about it, either because they all know that no one ever gets caught in the act - there's no repercussions for their actions, just a shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well, sorry, there's nothing we can do about it" attitude that they smoke past each and every customer who complains.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

It's unfortunate to have a discussion like this on eBay, and yet they don't try to change their policies to protect the buyers as much as they do the sellers to ensure long lasting customers. A few months back the USPS lost a package of mine, and when I put in a complaint, two weeks later it mysteriously appeared on my doorstep. Now I'm going through this problem again, but with two packages sent from two different sellers, in two different locations. I'm sure my mail carrier put the packages in someone else's mailbox, but when confronted she got defensive and swore she placed the bags in my box with a notice. First off, they weren't bags, secondly I NEVER receive a delivery slip from this woman on any of my packages. But to look at me and lie! That pissed me off. I've tried contacting the supervisor at my local post office, who apologized that there was nothing he could do for me since he's been a maintenance man for 10 years then suddenly thrown into a needed supervisor position with the company for only a week. I've tried contacting two postmasters and get no calls back. How is it these businesses are allowed to operate like this and get away with it, and there's no one there to protect us and our purchased property?! And they wonder why they're going out of business, but sadly it's not happening fast enough! I've learned my lesson, and unless eBay learns to defend the buyers a little more, they lost one in me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one that was going through something like this!! I read every single persons entry and am astonished at how bad the USPS has gotten! I ordered a Apple iPod a few days ago, which was at $249. It shows online that it was delivered at the 27th, but I never received it!! This gets me so angry and furious at the Post Office, because I have purchased and/or won items this past weekend, from Ebay mind you, and have received ALL of them except for this one product that is super SUPER expensive! It was my very first time purchasing something that high of a price from this website that I trusted. Yes I am using a past tense because apparetnly buyers are not protected regardless of shipping to ones home, needless to say a non signature required for that HIGH priced item. It was my fault for even confiding into here and the USPS system. I am going to the post office tomorrow morning to declare once again that my package is lost, it was intentionally lost because I have received 3 of my items from Ebay with NO PROBLEMS THIS PAST WEEK. Yet this particular one is missing. That upsets me the most. I am going to find a way to protect myself here, and the PO. It is unfair and biased to what they are trying to prove to. Although I know there are some post people that work their darn hardest everyday, some even disabled, but the slack offs, COME ON!!

I saw only one postman that day, not 2, because apparetnly there can be 2 deliveries in one day. I am so furious that I want to yell at the top of my lungs at their FACES!! But I have to be patient, as in not be a super asshole, and find out if there was a 2nd delivery that day, well, I mean 1st. This is in CA by the way... ugh.

Please use plain text.
vanessak321
Community Member

in reply to roger9345

I am a regular seller on eBay and a sometimes buyer. I have had a lot of items shipped and as a seller I can not control the post office for timing and responsibility. They do the best they can, but buyers expect that no mail should ever be lost or damaged. That is unreasonable. If you are purchasing an item and using the mail/fedex/ups etc there is risk of loss. So if you are uncomfortable with the risk, then insure all purchases. The seller should not be responsible if the buyer wanted the cheapest shipping possible and no insurance but the item is lost.

The buyer protection on eBay is overkill but seller protection is lacking.

All they need is a complaint ... All you need is mounds of defense and proof.

I use delivery confirmation on all items but I still hear sometimes..I didn't get my item

Please use plain text.