eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Stolen iPhone bought from ebay

Hello to all
Almost a year ago i bought an iPhone from a seller with a great ebay rating more than 100 to be more specific. The phone was sealed and obvioysly in new condition.
A couple of weeks ago i received an email from a detective in Colorado regarding my iPhone and he wanted to inform me regarding the seller and that i have purchased a stolen Apple product.
At first i thought that this email was a scam. However the email had the serial number of my iPhone plus i contacted the Dougas County Colorado sheriffs office and the guy actually exists!We talked and he told me that the ebay seller is now arrested because i wasnt the only victim. The ebay seller was dealing more than 200 apple devices through his account so as you can imagine a great deal of money
So what happens to me now?I am very worried taht i was using a stolen device for almost a year and most importaNt i can not sell this item because i now know this is stolen property. i Spoke with Apple and they cant do anything about this
MOST IMPORTANT is that i spoke with both paypal and ebay and they told me that they cant do anything because they hav a 45 days policy.
To be honest i dont know why they said this and how should i know that the item is a stolen property since i found out a couole of weeks back
i am very uunsatisfied with ebay especially when i am a member since almost day one
I have called ebay and paypal many times i have sent them emails but there isnt any solution. Wjhere is the buyers policy?do they care taht there are people dealing stolen properties over there website with the help of paypal?
In my opinion they dont seem to care and the best escxuse is to say that there ios a policy of 45 days from the day of ourchase. I will say this once more...how on earth should a person know that something is stolen ??
I would try and write to as many websites/forums and authorities i can about this issue. Its not only the amount of money that i have spent. Its the attitude and the so called policy that ebay has which upsets me a lot
i hope some people will have a hance and read this (some may agree or disagree with me) but this is my story and makes me
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Stolen iPhone bought from ebay

in reply to qbase2000
X-( MY E-BAY BROTHER I'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR STOLEN ITEM,
I DO HOPE E-BAY OR PAY PAL WILL HELP YOU BUT ONCE THESE IDIOTS GET YOUR MONEY THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMM.
MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THE BETTER BUISNESS BEUROUE(EXCUSE MY BAD SPELLING ..NOT PROPPERLY EDUCATED), AND TRY FACEBOOK SO ALL CAN SEE WHAT THEIR DOING TO YOU AND ALL WHOM THEY LOVE TO TAKE THEIR MONEY FROM YOU THE CUSTOMER,GOOD LUCK MY E-BAY BROTHER.....WELGA WE SAY IN SPANISH....(STRIKE) E-BAY-LOU LIZARD
Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
The time limits are the limits. (agreed to)
How would you feel if eBay after one year gave your buyer back his money because he changed his mind.
Pawn shops legally get taken all the time when it is found the item they pawned was stolen.
Next day, or next year.
The stolen item goes back to the owner.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
The time limits are the limits. (agreed to)
How would you feel if eBay after one year gave your buyer back his money because he changed his mind.
Pawn shops legally get taken all the time when it is found the item they pawned was stolen.
Next day, or next year.
The stolen item goes back to the owner.

in no way is changing ones mind even remotely a fair analogy..
you needs meds...
Please use plain text.
sexy_chicago
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
WHY DO YOU KEEP REPOSTING THIS?!?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I just had a an iphone 5 stolen, and was curious what could the crook do with it. My answer in part came from this post. the other part came from a post about places that will gladly unlock phones for $35.00 each. the Thriving black market for iphones, ipads.  Then a third place I looked were the current listings for iphone 5's for sale, almost all of the happily say "unlocked" unlocked might was well say "Stolen" Then there will be those phones listed on craigslist etc.  But one would have thought that if one buys on ebay.. you know... but apparently not.....................................................................................................................................I'm going to  buy another from Apple, set up a password so each time I want to make a phone call, send or receive a text etc I'll have to put in a password, a big hassle, but there is too much info on them. If you buy a iphone5 on ebay, it's stolen, unless it's from at&t, Apple or another cell phone carrier. sure an old 4g or 3gs might be listed used, but this "unlocked" stuff is a dead giveaway. But honest people are not suppose to know the world of crooks, that's their miserable always having to look in the rearview mirror, sweating, loosing sleep. except for those so hard hearted and cruel they are already dead inside, and that's a living death, sad, so really sad, yes I lost a lot of money, and so did the man who made the post, but those crooks are the real loosers, for they are either dead inside or extremely miserable. Come clean, you'll feel better, if you have stolen, "let him that stole steal no more":ep 3:28

Please use plain text.
biged143
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

kinda mystified how your provider never found the ESN as stolen/lost.Send them an email telling them to refund the money paid sd they were aidng and abetting this!!

Jeffy !
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I agree with biged. If you didnt do an esin inquiry with the origional carrier then this is your own fault. 45 days is more than enough time to straighten out something like this, and paypal would have refunded your money no problem. This is your responsibility as a citizen. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I just bought an Apple I phone 4 for my teenager when I received the phone and tried to activate it and the cell phone company told me the phone was still connected to another line so I couldn't activate it. I contacted the seller and guess what, NO answer!! How can these thieves be allowed to sell stolen property on ebay? Now I opened a case but its going to take a week to investigate meanwhile I still have no phone and the thief has my money!

Bad business for EBAY!

I will be very hesitant to purchase again.

Please use plain text.
biged143
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

File a complaint with ebay first then PP. You have a limited time so do not delay

Jeffy !
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I tried to open a case with PP but they said I had to wait for ebay to investigate the case. : /

Please use plain text.
biged143
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

That was in my first post. I have no idea why EB has to check they cannot give you the money back as PP has it!

Jeffy !
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I also bought a stolen S3 phone on Ebay recently.  I contacted Ebay and they sent me a shipping label so I could return the phone.  I sent the phone back using the shipping label and  have not received a refund.  Ebay has the wrong tracking number listed in my dispute and have closed my case without issuing a refund.  I sent the phone back using the link below.  I wasted hours trying to figure out why the phone wouldn't work and Straight Talk couldn't tell me either, I was without phone service for 5 days and now I'm out $315 for a phone I returned. I'm  wouldn't buy I phone on Ebay again.

FROM EBAY:

Be sure to pack the item carefully and securely and to include all parts of the item. The seller must receive the item in the same condition that you received it for you to be eligible for your refund.

To print the label, paste the link below into your browser:

https://www.ups.com/u.a/L.class?7R2301029093rGShKrqwAP8%3D0SK

Attach the label to the box, and send the item back to the seller using United Parcel Service (UPS) shipping.

We'll enter the tracking information from the label into the Resolution Center.  This wasn't done by ebay so I can't track the package.

Once we have confirmation that the item has been delivered, we'll refund you within 3 days for the cost of the item plus original shipping (as long as the seller hasn't issued you a refund).  This wasn't done as they aren't even tracking the package.

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

I also bought a stolen S3 phone on Ebay recently.  I contacted Ebay and they sent me a shipping label so I could return the phone.  I sent the phone back using the shipping label and  have not received a refund.  Ebay has the wrong tracking number listed in my dispute and have closed my case without issuing a refund.  I sent the phone back using the link below.  I wasted hours trying to figure out why the phone wouldn't work and Straight Talk couldn't tell me either, I was without phone service for 5 days and now I'm out $315 for a phone I returned. I'm  wouldn't buy I phone on Ebay again.

FROM EBAY:

Be sure to pack the item carefully and securely and to include all parts of the item. The seller must receive the item in the same condition that you received it for you to be eligible for your refund.

To print the label, paste the link below into your browser:

https://www.ups.com/u.a/L.class?7R2301029093rGShKrqwAP8%3D0SK

Attach the label to the box, and send the item back to the seller using United Parcel Service (UPS) shipping.

We'll enter the tracking information from the label into the Resolution Center.  This wasn't done by ebay so I can't track the package.

Once we have confirmation that the item has been delivered, we'll refund you within 3 days for the cost of the item plus original shipping (as long as the seller hasn't issued you a refund).  This wasn't done as they aren't even tracking the package.

Did you keep a copy of the label?

You could have entered the correct number yourself.

Did it arrive to the seller?

All those I have received are combo USPS and UPS labels.

You can give it to either.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
Just happened to me too. 168$ but eBay got my money back thank god by using PayPal. eBay is starting to suck. I got the same story as all you guys, pawn shop and all that crap.
Please use plain text.
barefootgirl1230
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
Not true. An iPhone being labeled "unlocked" does not mean it is stolen. I have personally unlocked my phone as well as numerous family members, and when i sell one on eBay, i spend the extra money to unlock it first because it makes it worth more. If you want to know if a phone is stolen, check the ESN with the original service provider, not the unlock status. A bad ESN will prevent it from being used with that carrier, but there are many other reasons to unlock a phone. Don't jump to conclusions and say all unlocked phones are stolen.
Please use plain text.
barefootgirl1230
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
To the OP, does your phone still work? If they havnt confiscated it and it still works, then what are you so worried about? Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my knowledge if your phone was actually blacklisted, you would not be able to use it with the original carrier. And in all fairness, you bought it, you own it now, and you have the liberty to sell it at will. If the ESN is not reported (and i dont think it has) then it is not branded stolen. Apple is likely the one taking the fall on this one. It's not eBay's problem.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000
Me too, they stole my son iPhone c two weeks ago, buyer called me when he find out the phone he purchase was stolen. I called EBay and pay pall to repot it .
They said they can not do anything about.
For me is only 2 weeks, is not 45 days but still donor doing anything.
Please use plain text.
jonathandominican1809
Community Member

in reply to qbase2000

well i buy a iphone 5s and it work well for 2 weeks them the seller that i buy the iphone desapear  i try to comunicate with him many time he desapear  because he report my phone now i want  my money back i just want a solution of this ... can some one help me this pass like 3 weeks from now 

Please use plain text.