cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling ISO images of operating systems

I was looking into getting some legit installation media for multiple versions of Windows when I stumbled upon this listing: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-SP3-32-Bit-INSTALL-REPAIR-Digital-CD/26304...

This seller appears to be selling ISO images of Windows, which are readily available online even from Microsoft themselves for free. He states that no product key is included so they must be merely copies of an ISO image. He's also selling Windows 10 upgrades which is also a free service from Microsoft. I just want to know if he's aloud to do this because it doesn't seem right to me. It seems he's taking advantage of people who aren't aware of how this stuff works. 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Selling ISO images of operating systems

@biggie_z wrote:

It seems he's taking advantage of people who aren't aware of how this stuff works. 

Well.. in a sense he is.. but if you look at it another way, some people would be willing to pay $5 to have the ISO delivered on a platter without searching further. And he's offering a satisfaction guarantee, which suggests if someone found out and complained they'd get their $5 back. It looks like an easy five bucks for him.

I bet it's a safe bet that it violates MS's user agreement somewhere in that ten million words of legalese but it's not quite software piracy. He's just charging "lazy tax."

Message 2 of 2
latest reply