cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING FAKE ELECTRONIC PARTS ON EBAY IS OK?

I see many electronic components on eBay that are fake junk!

How does eBay feel about people being killed or having their house burn down because of these fake parts, mostly from China?

This is a serious issue and selling fake parts that led to a unspecified failure causing bodily harm, death or property loss could have serious financial consequences, no?

STOP PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES IN DANGER JUST TO MAKE A FEW CENTS ON A SALE, EBAY.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: SELLING FAKE ELECTRONIC PARTS ON EBAY IS OK?

@leaky-bucket-labs wrote:

I see many electronic components on eBay that are fake junk!

How does eBay feel about people being killed or having their house burn down because of these fake parts, mostly from China?

This is a serious issue and selling fake parts that led to a unspecified failure causing bodily harm, death or property loss could have serious financial consequences, no?

STOP PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES IN DANGER JUST TO MAKE A FEW CENTS ON A SALE, EBAY.

It's a challange I have had to grapple with.

A lot of people are selling dangerious mobile chargers. I refuse to sell them and only sell brand name.. but of course no one wants to pay a premium price so I sell very few of them.

My point, it's a combination of buyers being excessively cheap and chinese manufactuers having notoriously bad safety standards.

But I do understand the temptation to save money as well as how sellers need to buy cheap to make money. The whole mess is caused by the dark side of human nature.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Here is the REAL part.

Notice the color and the rubber "bung" that the pins come out of, the shape is a registered trademark of Nichicon, if the part is not 100% IDENTICAL, its fake.

Would you like 450v blowing up in your face or in the vicinity of you family?

think about it

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

OP, 

It's not just lelectronics. Tools, car parts, music, movies, clothes. shoes, handbags, baseball cards, autographs, and art are also flooded with fakes. 

There are 1 billion items on eBay right now. 

How would you propose that eBay review and remove fake items? 

Unlucky

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

You can police this yourself by simply not buying any thing from China! 

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

"My point, it's a combination of buyers being excessively cheap and chinese manufacturers having

notoriously bad safety standards."

The problem is many times you'll find a mix of fakes and genuine parts from China. Due to their

huge manufacturing capacity, you'll see a lot of surplus components listed from Chinese sellers

and it seems even the sellers do not have a clue as to which is real or a knock off. You could get

a real Nichicon and then again, you may not.

There is a guy on YouTube who tests low cost electronic items from China. It is best to avoid the

no name maker products. The largest Chinese owned companies seem to produce safe goods

but then again, you will pay more for them.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Also, the height dimension is wrong. The listing says 36mm when the Nichicon UPT data sheet states 40mm.

Look at where it comes from, the land of counterfeits.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

A good start to combating this problem. In fact a huge start would be to close the door to China. That single act would eliminate literally millions of counterfeit items.

But money wins over morals with ebay when it comes to this issue. Always has, always will.

So much so, that now they want to roll out the welcome mat to Africa. Nigeria no less. Another vast counterfeit nest.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

That answer would depend on how you feel about selling authentic merchandise for a premium price that is also made in China and doesn't perform much better than the aftermarket product. Perhaps the aftermarket product is dangerous, and some are... But consumers are entitled to make choices concerning the risk(s) they are willing to take, more consumers today (myself included) are willing to take considerable chances when the discount is also considerable.

Mind you, we've learned not to buy in bulk so as to avoid getting stuck with fakes that plain do not work at all.

@leaky-bucket-labs wrote:
Would you like 450v blowing up in your face or in the vicinity of you family?

Please...

No, of course not but then I don't normally stand in front of it while it's powered, and believe me I've seen OEM's fail just as nice as that, too.

The consumer is learning OEM isn't always better, despite what their dealers spout.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@marinermikes wrote:

You can police this yourself by simply not buying any thing from China! 

Really not sure how practical that is considering some things are actually only made in China today. Meaning you can buy a Ford or GM car but half of the components were manufactured in other countries as well as plenty of whole product categories have ceased being produced in the USA for decades.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

And postage is only $1.80 EPacket delivery all the way from GuangDong China.

What a deal.  I'll take two or three.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

"... STOP PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES IN DANGER JUST TO MAKE A FEW CENTS ON A SALE, EBAY ..."

It's bigger than only ebay.

A communist Chinese immigrant coworker once explained to me, "we sell the real junk at home, the good stuff gets exported to the USA".

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@binderzz wrote:

"... STOP PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES IN DANGER JUST TO MAKE A FEW CENTS ON A SALE, EBAY ..."

It's bigger than only ebay.

A communist Chinese immigrant coworker once explained to me, "we sell the real junk at home, the good stuff gets exported to the USA".

But that's not an excuse... especially when you consider how eBay has actively courted this junk all the way up to and including the CEO:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/why-ebay-tells-chinese-manufacturers-what-your...

eBay is actively complicit up to its eyeballs in this.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@toooldtorock wrote:

"My point, it's a combination of buyers being excessively cheap and chinese manufacturers having

notoriously bad safety standards."

The problem is many times you'll find a mix of fakes and genuine parts from China. Due to their

huge manufacturing capacity, you'll see a lot of surplus components listed from Chinese sellers

and it seems even the sellers do not have a clue as to which is real or a knock off. You could get

a real Nichicon and then again, you may not.

There is a guy on YouTube who tests low cost electronic items from China. It is best to avoid the

no name maker products. The largest Chinese owned companies seem to produce safe goods

but then again, you will pay more for them.

I do believe there is real un-branded parts being sold, I ordered a macbook pro charger from a US seller and I have the feeling it's a real un-branded apple charger, the lettering on the charger is identical, same font etc. I can't be 100% sure but I believe so, the only way to know would to open it up and look at the componenets inside.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I hate to say it but you can save yourself a ton of hurt by not buying from seller from China.  Yes I know that many items from our stores are made in China but there is at least SOME quality assurance or safety screening before Walmart buys thousands.  There are good odds that the items sold by the Chinese sellers had NO checks and maybe if they did they FAILED.  As long as people are more cheap than smart you are going to continue to see these issues.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply