cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased iPhone for Disabled Veteran....Limited Income and Got Screwed over! What do I do?

I needed to get my disabled brother an iphone to help with managing his care it was recommended by his DR. but due to limited income I found one on here slightly used.  Gave it to him as a gift he used it two weeks and it was not holding a charge. iPhone 6 64gb-So I could put music and memory apps and medication reminder apps etc I wanted the larger storage. I reached out to Seller who was gracsious enough to have me send it back and he would change the battery.  Two days later he emails me and says its going out in the mail that day-then later that day anothe email comes this time he says he was wrong that it was not the battery it was liquid damage. Which was confusing he was shipping it and it obviously was working now suddenly its liquid damaged.  He sent it back unrepaired. $300 and its useless.  I was realy confused considering I work for Apple Tech support and it has behaviour of battery issues.  Now I have a broken phone that Apple will exchange for an Out of Warranty replacemnt for $300 but I can get a new phone replacement and start fresh.  Well it took my brother some time to save as well as me to help him some with the cost.  We go to Apple Store they make the exchange where we discover that yes this phone did have liquid damage but it was not the phone I sent! It was only a 16gb not a 64gb! I went ahead an exchanged it to have a phone ASAP for my brother., only to come home and find its not even the same carrier.  I was sent a phone that was less then the phone I had paid for and a useless to me as not even the same carrier!  I have emailed the Seller Multiple times. I just want my phone back or a replacment of the 64gb phone back.  I will happily send this 16gb NEW phone back.  As someone else ended up with the wrong phone or he purposely did it and kept my phone with the larger storage.  So now not only is he out near $600 but he has a phone he can not use. A disabled veteran with brain damage.  It's heart breaking.  I am not asking for anything special just for it to be made right.  I can not use the format to complain on here as it does not have the correct selection.  I just need to speak to someone at Ebay that can make him do the right thing or refund my money.  How can I make this happen? Can anyone help direct me? Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Purchased iPhone for Disabled Veteran....Limited Income and Got Screwed over! What do I do?

I don't get something..My son bought at Best Buy a brand new Samsung phone for 150.00 dollars with all the bells and whistles..got a prepaid Cricket card for 30 dollars and he's good to go..

Why spend so much money on a used phone? I'm really asking this not to be a smartie-pants, just curious..

As for your situation..let the experts chime in..you could have just filed a SNAD the first time around..

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Open a not as described claim on ebay. Wait till ebay tells you to send it back. Seller should send a label. (unless you purchased from out of the country). 

IF denied, open a claim in PayPal. You will have to pay (with tracking) to return that one.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't think he has the original phone from the seller anymore..from what I am reading, he exchanged it for another broken one..

OP..it's very hard to read that post..hoping others can decipher it a bit better..but you're saying the first phone is no longer with you?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
I won't comment on the unspeakable things your seller did, who also pulled a switch a ruse to run your MBG clock out.

Regardless, very few people need a phone with that much capability, especially your brother let alone 98% of people on earth.

As said before, since you no longer have the original unadulterated phone there is not much you can do, PayPal does have an 180-day return policy but it must be the one the seller sold you.

By the way, iPhones have no user replaceable batteries that don't void the warranty, also in my considerable experience, most phones sent back for warranty will come back as water damaged with a $300 bill as standard operating procedure.

As an electronic expert with 40 years of experience, I sent back a brand new never used one with a charging jack problem and was charged $300 for water damage, I had to file fraud charges and open a BBB case for them to rescind it - took 4 months too.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'm a vet myself, and I hate to hear stories like this but in fairness, your brother's rights here are exactly the same as those of an entitled teenage girl.

I think it was a mistake for you to buy a phone on this site. They are scam magnets here, especially the latest model, expensive ones.

You probably could have gone through your local Veterans Outreach organization to get a phone that was reasonably priced and did everything your brother needed. You should still reach out to them for assistance, since he still needs a phone. It would be more practical for you to collect the money and purchase a new phone straight from Apple, if an iPhone is what he needs.

You don't need a 64G phone to make and receive calls. A $30 prepaid phone from Walmart would get the job done.  I use a Moto-G. They make pill boxes with built-in alarms. 

Another tip that may help: If you can get his doctor to prescribe the phone, not recommend it.. insurance may be of assistance. This obviously depends on the quality of his insurance and we all know how that goes.

I wish someone had warned you ahead of time of the dangers involved with buying a phone on eBay. It's not a challenge for beginners.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply